Do any of you own more than one e-reader...

Do any of you own more than one e-reader? I'm donating my gen 2 Paperwhite and have been shopping for a new reader and found a cheap Kobo Glo HD on Craigslist. But the seller is out of town and now is unresponsive in e-mail, and there is a super-cheap Kindle Touch nearby that I am almost wanting to get in my impatience, despite it not having a light and despite me being sold on the Kobo. Should I get both of them? What would I do with two?

Read two books at the same time

God damn the oasis is a disappointment. Don't fall for that meme.

Luckily I had a lot of amazon gift cards

I actually didn't mean to put an Oasis in my OP pic, just wanted a random image of e-readers.
What's bad about it? Because of my internet searches, I got an email from Amazon about the Oasis and noticed they're claiming a seven-inch screen now. Don't have the budget for it currently but was interested nonetheless.

So you're donating your Paperwhite and gonna buy a Touch? Isn't the Paperwhite supposed to be like their best bet or something?

Genius.

I'm donating my Paperwhite and getting a Kobo Glo, but it's taking a while to close the deal and I'm impatient. Was gonna just get a new Paperwhite but I wanted to try something different.

Gotcha. Lemme ask you, are e-readers really the shit? I know people like them
here but are they really paradigm shifting?

Yes, they are really the shit. E-ink is just like real paper. Take a 1000-page book to work without lugging around all the extra weight. read smut in public Easy access to free classics, pirated books, and online stores means more than you could ever hope to read.

Bump.

>God damn the oasis is a disappointment. Don't fall for that meme
Why? I was thinking of ordering the new waterproof one.

WHERE'S MY GODDAMN $50 KOBO GLO

>decide to message Craigslist seller about Kindle Touch
>he instantly replies and wants to meet soon
>at the same time the Kobo seller replies back finally
>decide fuck it, let's get both
>Kindle seller turns around and says he actually already sold it
>but my Kobo will probably be on the way soon
I probably avoided being stupid with my money. What am I in for tho, anons?

Bump, you goddamn faggots. Don't you want to talk about e-readers, again?

What is there to talk about, retard? Nothing has changed aside from Amazon unshitting Oasis.

I don't know, I'm only here to satisfy a desire. What do you mean wrong unshitting the Oasis?

They just released a new Oasis that is literally perfect. Paperwhite is still best value for money, though.

The 7" one? I'm interested in what user has to say.
Either way, I loved my Paperwhite, but I'm awaiting to see what I think of my discontinued Kobo Glo.

He's clearly talking about the original, which was turboshit in more than a few ways. The new one just released today and isn't even shipping until November.

Why is paperwhite so good, in your opinion?

More or less everything one needs in a reader, best in class in literally every way except for lack of waterproofing, can be gotten dirt cheap.

this is exactly the thread i was looking for, i kinda want an e-reader because ive read like 5 books this week and buying them at the book store is super expensive plus they dont always have what i want. im starting to think an e-reader is the way to go. from what i can tell the paperwhite is the one i want right if i dont want all the extra tablet shit i just want it for reading? on amazon the reviews say to get the one without ads but i cant seem to find the option for this?

follow up, is the kindle paperwhite book format its own thing or can i get ebooks from barnes and noble online or pdfs?

You don't necessarily need a reader to read ebooks - there are apps for all kinds of devices. If you do want it though, then yes, Paperwhite is your best value device. Buy a used one from someone. As long as the display is intact and battery isn't ridden to death it's fine - there's nothing that could break in them anyways. Paperwhite 2 or 3 - it doesn't matter they're virtually identical, again, check the battery if buying an older one. There are varieties with 3G and without - it's free service from Amazon that allows accessing their store and Wikipedia. Not tremendously useful but an option nonetheless. Fancier models like Oasis and the big Kobo don't have any "tablet shit" in them just bigger screens and waterproofing. There are no special versions "without ads" - you can switch off ads in Amazon directly.

As for books you can upload shit with Calibre on any of them. Kindles support plaintext, DOC, EPUB, Mobi and PDF aside from Amazon formats. If its DRM-free everything is fine. If there's DRM everything is fine too, because Calibre can remove it for you. Also stop paying the corporate jew hardcover prices for ebooks and download shit from libgen and torrents. Check out your local library if they have services like Overdrive too.

Well put, except Kindles don't support epub (convert them with Calibre first). And I would almost suggest the Paperwhite 3 over the 2 because it has a sharper screen.

I own a Kobo Glo HD. Much more stable than the Sony T-1 I used to have - with the Sony I had to always make sure I had a paperclip on me so I could reset it if it crashed, but with the Kobo I've never had to do that in the year and a half I've owned it. My bookshelves are frozen in time as of a few years ago and the last few paper books I'd bought pre-ereader still sit unread. Paper books now just seem so inferior I couldn't go back.

I use a Ipaid Air with the retina display, I read a lot of Math books also since I'm a math major so I need the functionality.

The only thing that makes me worry about getting my Kobo is the functionality compared to my old Paperwhite. I hear text highlighting is poor, and page-turns are slower. How has it performed for you?

Thank you for this fascinating blog entry.

>e-reader
Why? I've tried several of them and they are all horrible to read from.

Maybe there's something wrong with your eyes.

Is this bait? Why were they horrible?
Fyi LCD screens aren't e-readers. A Kindle Fire is not an e-reader.

Bump because I demand to explain himself.

I tried a few before and flipping the page just feels so clunky. I don't like how it flashes black and white to refresh either. Decided to just go back to books and scrolls

How about the Kobo Aura One? Is it worth the $250~ pricetag?

>Is it worth the $
How should anyone know about your finances, spending habits and reading preferences, brainlet?

just get an ipad for that price

I guess I can respect that. I think it's comfy. Reminds me of an old computer. And honestly the Paperwhite flips pages quickly (don't know about the Kobo yet) and you get used to the page refreshing. It's handy for when you don't have a print book available. Doesn't replace them for me.

I used to try to read from both my laptop and phone. When I got a Kindle Paperwhite last year it was a game changer. It has saved me some $ from not having to buy a physical book.

What's a good e-reader if what I want is basically a tablet running calibre?

Funny thing is I'm sort of the opposite for right now since I donated my Paperwhite. Plus I'm on the run a lot now and my only times I really have to read is on my train ride, which is only fifteen minutes. It's miserable but I found just downloading the Kindle app on my phone and reading in quick bites is pretty comfy and convenient. I'm surprised at how much I've read using it; I've been plowing through books.
Even when I get my Kobo I may still use the phone app when it's convenient. At least until my life calms down.

for what fucking reason lol

to read

Fucking plebes I swear.

The actual experience of reading on ereaders is great (I have a Kindle voyage), but holy shit some things annoy me. I read a lot of classics and old history books, as well as stuff for uni, so the general lack of footnotes in comparison to books is a major inconvenience. Plus, formatting for anything like poetry is usually fucked, and it seems like most publishers don't even bother correcting typos and weird formatting errors. If these problems were fixed, which seems unlikely, the Kindle would be pretty much perfect aside from large textbooks with tables/pictures. Unfortunately they seem best suited for genre fiction and best sellers which have less errors and are easier to format.

Never had a problem with footnotes on my Paperwhite. If the book is done up correctly, all you have to do is tap one and it opens up in floating window just like the dictionary does. And luckily I don't read much poetry. I feel bad for son. got 99 problems but formatting ain't one

ill legit buy the paperwhite if its in decent shape... wouldnt it be better to see it going to a good home than some craigslist perv?

Don't read much poetry either but it's still a shame it doesn't translate well into digital format. Footnotes work fine for the few books I've come across that have them but even for those that do they're far fewer in number and less helpful/informative than the equivalent book.

Probably the last problem I have with them is finding a certain edition on the Kindle store as all the editions just seem tossed together. There's been a few situations when I've bought a version that said Penguin or Oxford on the product page but when it downloaded it obviously wasn't. Same goes for translations. As far as the reading experience goes though they're great, I guess it just depends on what you normally read.

paperwhite is worth it. get the one with ads then contact customer support to get it removed for free. (if they want to charge you for it, just say a friend got it removed for free and they'll do it, too) converting the books to .mobi literally takes 3 seconds and you can send them directly to your kindle using calibre without having to plug it in.

It's not a trade. I'm giving the Paperwhite to a family member.

Actually now I agree becasue when I read the Bhagavad Gita on my Kindle it had no poetic line breaks. It was formatted like prose. it was strangely pleasant to read

Thanks, heh.

Jup, jup. The unbelievable gymnastics needed to use the smaller one as reference book is profoundly disturbing.

ah i see

it's not an answer to your question, but i cannot help but be the eternal shill for the Kobo Aura One.

vs. the Kindle Voyage (the only other e-reader i've known), it has:
>more customization
>cleaner, better interface
>night mode is not as much of a meme as i feared
>double the storage
>epubs over mobi (which are more prevalent on libgen) — conversion can be a pain for kindle
>bigger screen, yet lighter
>sexcellent customer service with programmers who continually produce better firmware without adding more flaws
>beautiful footnote/endnote support, which it lacked when i first got the kobo

the only things i miss about the Voyage:
>great in-text translation, especially phrases
>in-text wikipedia summaries
>wordwise, which is kind of a meme
>haptic buttons (but they're easy to forget)

In anticipation of getting my Kobo, I went ahead and downloaded the app. Thank fuck you can actually copy and paste things you highlight. Kindle doesn't let you do that. I really love the fade in/out animations for the page turns, but Kindle app is better with the responsive turning. I guess this is gonna be pretty representative of what my full Kobo experience is going to be like: better in some areas, inferior in others.
>inb4 nice blog