twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

He performed Bukowski's third wedding.

tell me more

Bukowski had been married twice before.

>The Secret Teachings of All Ages
>Contains none of the actual secret teachings; merely speculation

Poseur.

are there secret teachings to be had

Not to mention the fact that he's just another occultist in the same vein as Blavatsky, who only diluted esotericism with womanly vanity. Greater individuals than Hall, like Guenon, Jung, and others have rightly critiqued Blavatsky's pseudo-occultism which inspired the likes of Crowley, and probably spawned all the retarded New Age and Theosophy groups which are basically glorified "Coexist" movements.

Go look at the occult subreddit and you'll see what I mean. "Dude, I made a potion from my semen and now I think I can levitate."

If you want to see what real Hermeticism looks like read Augustine or Bruno or Weininger. What differentiates those individuals from a Blavatsky or a Crowley is that they have discovered everything ***within themselves***, by the power of their own mind, as opposed to looking for it in horoscopes or Tibetan ruins, thinking that "the truth" is something that can be "shown to you" and suddenly you understand it. Only a woman thinks this way.

what in guenon is worth reading

Meme. Absolutely no discernible secret knowledge.

would he be good for just learning the history of these things?

Yeah, probably. I was just archonposting. You could save yourself some dough and just get the Table of Contents then look it all up on wikipedia.

Potentially useful if you're a writer looking for plot mechanisms, not very useful as anything but a collection of moldy old memes.

No, most likely a lot of misinformation or misinterpretation.

who would you suggest

bump

this.
Hall's "Lectures on Ancient Philosophy: Companion to The Secret Teachings of All Ages" solidified all of my doubts about him, unfortunately.
I bought it, eager to have something that expanded on The Secret Teachings of All Ages which I liked a lot but what I got was vague pseudo-atheistic new-age world peace ramblings without any depth to them at all.

is the secret teachings of all ages worth reading in light of that

Dude what. Blavatsky didn't inspire Crowley, they were contemporaries. Nor is Hall especially theosophical. You sound mad.

schwualler de lubicsz has everything he offers and more

it's an interesting glossary if anything and will help you if you are interested in studying esotericism because it familiarizes you with some of the terms, traditions, and so on.
I'd just be skeptical about it but yeah it's worth a read. It's nothing if not interesting

Yes. Ignore the dilettantes. If you don't even know that Crowley was originally Golden Dawn then you don't know anything.

Western Esotericism: A Guide for the Perplexed

Hall is a Mason which leads him to make dubious historical claims based on belief rather than fact.

Everything he says serves a purpose, even if it isn't historical. Occultism often presents such situations.

>Augustine
What? Can you explain?

you guys might wanna check this out

youtube.com/watch?v=MemqZw2f9ig

Entertaining, 10% truth, 90% bullshit. When he talks about spirituality it's very informative and can help you look inside of yourself and help you discover your subjective reality. However when he talk about anything regarding objective reality the guy shows how retarded he really is. Like when he discards Darwinism by saying that no primitive people have ever held that hypothesis and that they were smarter than we are.

What's a good book of esoteric knowledge? Not silly things like making potions or casting curses, but real spiritual knowledge. Like making Charms with power symbols (which work by a process recognized as enclothed cognition) and Dream Catchers (which work by allowing one channel away fears).