What's the worst advice or recommendation you've ever gotten from somebody on Veeky Forums?

What's the worst advice or recommendation you've ever gotten from somebody on Veeky Forums?

Kys desu

Did you do it?

some awful Portuguese novel about a psychiatrist with a persecution complex, full of awful metaphors, couldn't finish it.

>Fagles is the best translation because it's easiest to read

I'LL FUCKING KILL YOU

>caring about translations

pic related

>Not caring about translations
Lmao might as well not care about the author

Taipei by Tao Lin
It was absolute fucking garbage

It's the best translation but not for that reason.
Translation means a lot with how you perceive it.

Infinite Jest

IJ made me reconsider how much stock I put in the opinions of Veeky Forums, same with pseudcone

>>>r/books

I've only heard that book mentioned twice in reality. And it was by mongoloids.

Houllebecq is mostly one or two interesting thoughts hidden somewhere in a thousand tedious pages of shitty prose and /r9k/ tier sexual frustration.

I've no doubt he'd make a good essayist.

Lmao DFW is without a doubt the most reddit author thats memed here

Someone kept saying "my diary" was his favorite book so I read "my diary" and got douche chills. Worst decision of my life desu

>read Marx to understand your enemy
HAHAHAHAHA get fucked

The funeral scene of the mother in atomised was really funny

That is not why it is a good translation.

To join the eastern orthodox church. I then had the chilling realisation that there are people on this board who have learned to express themselves quite eloquently, coherently, to display apparent knowledge and wit about particular subjects, to provide seemingly authoritative advice, yet who are terribly misguided, to say the least.

>filthy statue-worshiping papists spreading FUD
>2017
Nothing really changes.

to start with the greeks

ulysses is goat lmao here kid read the meme trilogy

I see copies of it in every used bookstore i've been in for quite a while. That tends to be a good metric of the quality/popularity ratio

Most of it.
But I guess it's not really advice, just opinions, but still.
I only remember good advice.