Who is America's foremost prose stylist?

Who is America's foremost prose stylist?

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/139804718
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Cormac McCarthy, not doubt.

McElroy?

No, that would be Stephen King.

Pynchon.

It is William H. Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaass

The Gass man obviously.

Is he really good, Veeky Forums? Worth checking out? Or is this like the time you told me to read Lolita?

If you didn't like Lolita you are probably a fucking pleb. I have normal girl friends that even like Lolita. So yeah don't read Gass.

There's no need to act like a butthurt brainlet, kiddo. I don't care about the "taboo" content of Lolita, if that's what you're implying. I just don't want to waste my time on something that's overrated style over substance.

Well then you won't like Gass at all you retard. He has lots of substance but his strongest quality is his prose.

Actually you know what. Fuck it. Just read the tunnel. You will love it. It's hilarious.

>his strongest quality is his prose
Ah yes, the prose. The prooooooose. the PROOOOOOOSE. There's a reason why the pseuds on this website are always so willing to talk about "the prose" of a book when discussing its merits or flaws. Why attempt to analyze the merits and effects of the literary devices used to add to the development of characters, why attempt to understand the interplay of the perspectives of different characters and the emphasis this places on different themes, the spectrum of ironies used throughout the novel, the historical significance of the novel and the influence it has spawned in literary tradition or the influences seen throughout the work, the specific structure and literary underpinnings of the novel and the way it influences the tone, the author's relationship to the characters and the theme, the presentation of the novel itself to the audience and thus the relationship between reader and text --- why do any of this, when you could talk about "the prose?" You know that you have such a deep understanding of the book, don't you, when you talk about "the prose," the "musicality of it," the "sparseness." What a great artistic touch you have, don't you! Such a highly refined poetic sense! And you feel like such a true reader of literature when you are able to compare these styles: "I am partial to the lyricism of Joyce's prose, as well as the clean and scientific prose of Borges," you might say. What a deep understanding you show! Because the "prose" of a work is such an accessible topic, something that is felt immediately in the body and senses, a nice little sensation and flutter of the heart. Art obviously has nothing else to it, nothing other than the little sensations that I experience, because why should i attempt to understand it on a deeper level than this, when I have such a "refined" sense of the "prose?" Why even attempt to analyze the prose and the poetic and rhythmical underpinnings of it, when I could use a pretty little metaphor for it? It matters little that virtually every reader of literature has access to the music of the words and so my understanding is not quite so advanced as I would think, that form is something that goes hand in hand with theme, that I missed all the deep relationships between characters and between text and reader that existed in the work and that comprise a large part of the literary merit of the text, for my understanding of "the prose" shows such a mastery of language, a fine-tuned sense of the magical flow of the words! Having understood this work, I may as well move onto the next, the next bundle of pretty sensations to experience, the next bagful of fun linguistic treats!

Corncob YeCarthy

This must be like the 30th time this thread is posted. Are you proud of yourself?

Alexander Theroux.

Wow, what insight you have with that pasta user. Very deep thoughts you must have had whole pressing ctrl c and v there. Whoa, thanks for sharing your impressions of a great work.

You're welcome, user. I solved many riddles of the universe whilst preparing this pasta. It was made in Italy, so it's very authentic. Glad you enjoyed it.

>If you didn't like Lolita you are probably a fucking pleb. I have normal girl friends that even like Lolita

you just proved liking Lolita is pleb. Liking anything by Nabokov is pleb but Pale Fire can be excused

>and tortillas and it was bleak and
>and and

ah, blood meridian, monsieur? that novel is the sark and chaparral of literature, the filament whereon rode the remuda of highbrow, corraled out of some destitute hacienda upon the arroya, quirting and splurting with main and with pyrolatrous coagulate of lobated grandiloquence. our eyes rode over the pages, monsieur, of that slatribed azotea like argonauts of suttee, juzgados of swole, bights and systoles of walleyed and tyrolean and carbolic and tectite and scurvid and querent and creosote and scapular malpais and shellalagh. we scalped, monsieur, the gantlet of its esker and led our naked bodies into the rebozos of its mennonite and siliceous fauna, wallowing in the jasper and the carnelian like archimandrites, teamsters, combers of cassinette scoria, centroids of holothurian chancre, with pizzles of enfiladed indigo panic grass in the saltbush of our vigas, true commodores of the written page, rebuses, monsieur, we were the mygale spiders too and the devonian and debouched pulque that settled on the frizzen studebakers, listening the wolves howling in the desert while we saw the judge rise out of a thicket of corbelled arches, whinstone, cairn, cholla, lemurs, femurs, leantos, moonblanched nacre, uncottered fistulas of groaning osnaburg and kelp, isomers of fluepipe and halms awap of griddle, guisado, pelancillo.

Gets me every fucking time

William Vollmeme

vimeo.com/139804718

Speaking of prose, your mannerisms are some of the most irritating I have read. 'Butthurt brainlet', 'kiddo', quoting something he neither said nor implied, 'overrated', 'style over substance'. Does your brain run on pure cliche? How does it feel to know that every sentence you devise is just somebody else's lost property?

>'..he made it his own by liking it, and that goes to make lawful property in the free city of the mind.'
Nabokov, Laughter (Camera)

Its Hemmingway. :x

>He thinks correct grammar binds aesthetic prose
Embarrassing

>only takes the first line to make me kek
This is art

is this a rogue monsieur-post?

>Speaking of prose, your mannerisms are some of the most irritating I have read.
Thank you. This was not deliberate in any way.

>'Butthurt brainlet', 'kiddo', quoting something he neither said nor implied, 'overrated', 'style over substance'.
Nothing was quoted, but was implied.

>Does your brain run on pure cliche?
Only when responding to idiots.

>How does it feel to know that every sentence you devise is just somebody else's lost property?
Not bad. Saves time and effort.

But go ahead, user. Tell me how you wrote that sublime masterpiece of a post. No, wait! Don't tell me you just went down to the local playground and bribed a small child to write it for you. No, do explain...

Hemingway has one m

Mario Vargas Llosa

>William Gass

The Tunnel was shit, even DeLillo is better

Wtf I thought it was pretty funny. I just pictured Gass grossed out by his real wife the entire time. I wonder if she read it lol.

John Williams GOAT

Should I read the Tunnel?
Have you read Eyes, his recent collection?

Look if you read a lot of books and lits top 100 charts is old news, then yes go for it. If you gave only moderately read the books on the top 100 or books in general don't read it