Who was in the right here?

After inviting him to the smoking room of a restaurant on O’Connell Street, Yeats listened to and praised Joyce’s poems. Then Joyce:

‘…began to explain all his objections to everything I had ever done. Why had I concerned myself with politics, with folklore, with the historical setting of events, and so on? Above all why had I written about ideas, why had I condescended to make generalisations? These things were all the sign of the cooling of the iron, of the fading out of inspiration… his own little book owed nothing to anything but his own mind which was much nearer to God than folklore…
Save

I felt exasperated and puzzled and walked up and down explaining the dependence of all good art on popular tradition. I said, “The artist, when he has lived a long time in his own mind with the example of other artists as deliberate as himself, gets into a world of ideas pure and simple. He becomes very highly individualised and at last by sheer pursuit of perfection becomes sterile. Folk imagination on the other hand creates endless images of which there are no ideas. Its stories ignore the moral law and every other law, they are successions of pictures like those seen by children in the fire. You find a type of these two kinds of invention, the invention of artists and the invention of the folk, in the civilisation that comes from the town and in the forms of life that one finds in the country. In the towns, especially in big towns like London, you don’t find what old writers used to call the people; you find instead a few highly cultivated, highly perfected individual lives, and great multitudes who imitate and cheapen them. You find, too, great capacity for doing all kinds of things, but an impulse towards creation which grows gradually weaker and weaker. In the country, on the other hand, I mean in Ireland and in places where the towns have not been able to call the tune, you find people who are hardly individualised to any great extent. They live through the same round of duty and they think about life and death as their fathers have told them, but in speech, in the telling of tales, in all that has to do with the play of imagery, they have an endless abundance… The whole ugliness of the modern world has come from the towns and their way of thought, and to bring back beauty we must marry the spirit and nature again. When the idea which comes from individual life marries the image that is born from the people, one gets great art, the art of Homer, and of Shakespeare, and of Chartres Cathedral.”

I looked at my young man. I thought, “I have conquered him now,” but I was quite wrong. He merely said, “Generalisations aren’t made by poets; they are made by men of letters. They are no use.”

Presently he got up to go, and, as he was going out, he said, “I am twenty. How old are you?” I told him, but I am afraid I said I was a year younger than I am. He said with a sigh, “I thought as much. I have met you too late. You are too old.”‘

Other urls found in this thread:

danieldavidwallace.com/2012/06/15/james-joyce-meets-wb-yeats/
jstor.org/stable/25476132
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Great post
I agree with Yeats but feel like he conceded at the end

how are irish people not white

To /pol/, no one really counts as white except for Der Fuerher himself

I like anime

As a once-talented and published poet who has reached the age of twenty-six, I wholeheartedly believe the artist's creativity begins its rapid death by 22. The only way to make it as a writer is to be published young, and from there give yourself the time to do nothing but write, as you will need all the time in the world to make up for what is lost in aging.

>I wholeheartedly believe the artist's creativity begins its rapid death by 22.
You may have been talented, but you're still a dunce.

I like anime.

Joyce was a faggot.

I like anime

Joyce was always narrowed by his cosmopolitanism

He was great, would have been GOAT if he produced in his early twenties

None of them were right. They were just wasting time scribbling literature for fun, neither of them had any true wisdom.

I like anime

Who gives a fuck?

I'm just letting you know that I like anime

Joyce comes off like a cunt desu. He doesn't even respond properly to Yeats' argument.

Read some U.G. and then come back here to tell us about your "true wisdom"

Great post. Where is this from?

Just got it from here

danieldavidwallace.com/2012/06/15/james-joyce-meets-wb-yeats/

Okay, I tried, but I have a few questions. I know that Yeats often writes, as he says, from politics and from folk lore. Where do we see those poems, though, being "about ideas" and about generalizations any more so than any other author with a theme is writing about ideas? And what did Yeats mean by the very first sentence, by

>The artist, when he has lived a long time in his own mind with the example of other artists as deliberate as himself, gets into a world of ideas pure and simple?

I even get what he means by that process leading to sterility but I'm not sure what in the art itself they're discussing.

I like anime

Bump.

>16 Dead Men

>O but we talked at large before
The sixteen men were shot,
But who can talk of give and take,
What should be and what not
While those dead men are loitering there
To stir the boiling pot?

You say that we should still the land
Till Germany’s overcome;
But who is there to argue that
Now Pearse is deaf and dumb?
And is their logic to outweigh
MacDonagh’s bony thumb?

How could you dream they’d listen
That have an ear alone
For those new comrades they have found,
Lord Edward and Wolfe Tone,
Or meddle with our give and take
That converse bone to bone?

This should be as antithetical to Joyce as it gets, isn't it? But where are these supposed useless generalizations?

Perhaps since it occurs as a reaction to generalized discussion? Or, since he's discussing an event that relates to a larger, more general theme.
This seems to be a counter example, though

It's because none of them are white so they will call everyone that is white non-white to lower them to their level.

I remember reading this in the Ellmann biography and having thought, "woah, JJ BTFO'd Yeats" but now Joyce seems like a real cunt. I think Joyce as he got older came to realize what a cunt he was in youth hence the unflattering depiction of Dedalus in Ulysses.

Nonetheless, he continued to be a cunt even if he was able to recognize he was such a cunt. Probably figured it was too late to change. Typical of predicament of atheists. Ironically they are damned by their faith in materialistic determinism as the state of the human condition.

This reads like that Ryan Gosling at the grocery store pasta. He really was autstic, huh.

It's really incredible how lame Joyce/Dedalus makes atheism look. He seems so insecure and unconvinced about it, without any very solid arguments other than muh non serviam. It's like a caricature from a Christian tract. If every atheist was like Joyce/Dedalus, no one would EVER take it seriously. Joyce/Dedalus was just an atheist because he was pissed at the Catholic Church anyways.

He lost his faith, not his self respect.

>neither of them had any true wisdom.
you don't read for wisdom you complete pseud

>David Foster Wallace meeting John Barth in a cannabis shop in Boston

>you don't read [fiction] for wisdom
>you don't read for wisdom
>you don't read
The answer was in your post the whole time

Despite all I said, the ability of Joyce to have the humility to depict himself in such an unflattering way is admirable, at least in my opinion. He was able to look in the mirror without flinching and show the rest of us what he saw.

Nonetheless, if you read Ellmann's biography, you can see what a prick he was even if he was able to view himself so critically. I'm not sure what to make of someone who is able to view their faults so critically yet doesn't make the effort to change them. Who knows, maybe he did, but I did not get that impression from Ellmann.

>He lost his faith, not his self-respect.
Please eggsplain.

What is up with this millennial obsession with fat chicks? Does anyone remember when we used to call chicks like this BBW and not "THICC" or "PAWG?" I would not touch this fat chick with a ten-foot pole, although I would direct her with it away from me to the nearest Wendy's.

>posting the shopped version of that picture

>I need help with truth. I know where to go! Those artists whose profession is artifice
>artifice
>clever or cunning devices or expedients, especially as used to trick or deceive others.

Joyce is completely in the right. Yeats is just blowing faggoty academic romanticism garbage in Joyce's face. And Joyces btfos him completely. You have to remember that Joyce admired Shakespeare above pretty much anything, and Shakespeare was not an academically driven artist. Shakespeare did not generalize humanity into cartoonish caricatures of itself, he believed in the individual souls of everybody.

You're making it very clear you've never fucked a girl like her

Yeah because Dostoevsky Tolstoy Melville Dante Cervantes Shakespeare etc were a bunch of deceitful fuckers just out to score a buck, kys

>Yeats is just blowing faggoty academic romanticism garbage in Joyce's face
>Shakespeare did not generalize humanity into cartoonish caricatures of itself, he believed in the individual souls of everybody.

Let me quote OP for you.

>When the idea which comes from individual life marries the image that is born from the people, one gets great art, the art of Homer, and of Shakespeare, and of Chartres Cathedral.

In other words, Yeats "did not generalize humanity into cartoonish caricatures of itself." "He believed in the individual souls of everybody." Joyce was just an arrogant douchebag, which is common among the young and onanists.

To use your words against you, you're just "blowing faggoty [...] garbage" about something you know nothing about. I bet it was satisfying to feel as if you BTFO'd Yeats for awhile, didn't it?

Nice gif, though. I also liked Aguirre when I was a teenager. Remember never to mention if you are underaged or else you'll get b&.

>reading for wisdom
at least you aren't "reading to exercise thr brain" like the guy in the other thread, I guess.

I'll pass. Classy chicks are much better.

>marries the image that is born from the people
Translation: a closet folklorist and a second rate hack (who, by the way, had a tin ear). Serious embarassment for anyone over 20 to list Yeats as a favourite poet.

>When the idea which comes from individual life marries the image that is born from the people

Yea. He means the "hill people" dum faggot.

"In the towns, especially in big towns like London, you don’t find what old writers used to call the people"

This is just another variation of the dumb shit William Wordsworth was babbling about. It's just generalizations. The individual of EVERY fucking individual matters more than dumb airy sounding theoretic crap like "The individual meeting with the "people" "

Wow you liked aguirre as a teenager somehow that makes me a teenager. Good one lad, hope you have a good night taking it up the ass from your boyfriend.

Man you must be boring as fuck

>a tin ear
Is this from that Nabokov list? I think his Russki tovarish ears are the problem. "The Lake of Innisfree" is plenty proof that he had a good sense of harmony.

Nah, there are a lot of people who would rather conform to a greater ideal than your petty ideas of whatever constitutes """"individuality."""" Personally I would much rather be a Trappist monk than a snake oil salesman like James Joyce.

Whatever you say, meathead.

>Whatever you say, meathead.

If more fitlits such as myself were running this site us 'meatheads' would bring more about much more cultured discussion rather than rants of fucking James Joyce being a snake oil salesman

Being attracted to a women for strictly sensual reasons is the lust of a pleb. There is a distinction between girls who look like I'd to fuck them, like that disproportioned blonde in your pic, and girls that have a more noble aesthetic and feminine form. The most beautiful women can not be "thick"

lmao stay Btfo'd.

You tried to use like so many times in a row that you even forgot one.

But really yes, the attraction toward the woman in your picture is much more emotionally ingrained. But I said nothing of love and lust, and if I'm looking for a good fuck I'm taking thicc blondie over a woman I want to wake up smiling to before I cook her breakfast

Also, fuck off for attempting to come off as patrician by putting text in my posts that was never there to begin with

>us 'meatheads'
How's it feel to know I am both more cultured and would humiliate you in physical contest. Bodybuilding is vanity, and represents the physical insecurity of a juvenile, if you are bodybuilding or powerlifting after the age of 19 then I wouldn't trust your judgement in other matters, like literature. Real /fitlit/ is wrestling, boxing, calisthenics and foot racing. I do like Olympic lifting though.

It is clear that you neither know what a rant is nor a meathead, meathead.

I don't even consider that meathead's fatty "fuckable." I mean, I could breed with her if I was forced into a cage with her like a horse or a rooster, but she doesn't inspire any sort of lust whatsoever. If a woman can convince me she's more than a bag of meat and bones, that's laudable.

>You tried to use like so many times in a row
I used it twice, and where did I "forget" a like? How could I put text in your post if I didn't even quote it? And by saying you would rather fuck the thicc blonde you are admitting to what I described, where prefer the former category for sex. ffs

You know what they say about one swallow and spring, does not change the fact that Yeats is hopelessly juvenile and romantic in the worst sense of the word.

I don't body build I train my body, every muscle, and I do it for meditation not contest nor vanity so again, fuck off. being presumptuous does not make you an elitist. Wow a boxer can fight another man: I know my body's every muscle and can control muscles you don't even know you have control over. You're the only vain person in this conversation, and it makes you look so small

this is absurd. tons of great writers wrote their best work in their 30's or later, including joyce himself - nobody reads anything he wrote in his early 20's except out of academic interest.

"genius is made, not born"

>and I do it for meditation not contest nor vanity so again,

with all due respect your meditation practice isn't that good if you feel the need to use it as ammunition in a shitposting argument

>There is a distinction between girls who look like I'd to fuck them, like that

You're autism is showing, it was a play on the phrase 'putting words in my mouth'

Yeah I forgot that autistic people use this board so everything is taken to its literal rather than its clear implication. I'll bet you edit your texts as you type them out if and when you talk to people

Yeah I guess I'm being a cunt. For the purposes of physical meditation and control, full body calisthenics like ring muscle ups and static holds are much better and just feel more natural than weights, running is quite rythmatic and more healthy as well. Also yoga is literally a form of meditation

>one swallow and spring
>hopelessly juvenile
>romantic in the worst sense of the word
>having that picture in your "meme reactions" folder

Are you gay?

It's not ammunition if he said I was what I'm not. It's a correction. Regardless, I'm shitposting, so it ultimately doesn't matter. I'm guessing you don't meditate, and think it's something only Buddhists or hippies do.

>backpedaling
your waifu a shit

>It's not ammunition
denial

>Regardless, I'm shitposting, so it ultimately doesn't matter
admission that I've got you + bogus excuse

>I'm guessing you don't meditate, and think it's something only Buddhists or hippies do
bogus assumptions

I don't have easy access to a gym otherwise I'd love to get on the rings. I only occasionally use weights but it's generally very minimal for extended periods to hit very specific muscles. Running, biking and yoga are all very enjoyable and beneficial, as well as free climbing and basically 'parkour'. Meditation is more whole when done physically imo because you're getting body and mind, but occasional mantras and detachment from self hit the mind better than strict bodily focus

Enlighten me on my denial. Prove to me you understand the practice of meditation and all it entails. Only then will I even care to respond to you again

plus skinny bitches think they're hot shit and tend to be prudes whereas a thicc bitch knows why her man's with her and knows how to use her glorious gift. Not to mention pussy is nine times out of ten tighter in a thicc bitch, and it's actually natural to me more attracted to a thicc woman than a skinny woman

>“Generalisations aren’t made by poets; they are made by men of letters"

reminder that this attitude can and often does degenerate into complete autism.

but joyce has yeats insofar as this kind of stuff

>to bring back beauty we must marry the spirit and nature again

is mushbrained goop, and joyce knew it

I don't think you understand though that there's such a thing as the hour glass where women can have ass and titties whilst also being fit whereas a thick girl is just flabby. Actual flat-chested model-type girls don't look attractive to any heterosexual man.

That line alone is flabby, but when viewed in its proper context makes sense.

well, its entertaining to see someone making a big show of his meditation practice while saying stuff like this:

>plus skinny bitches think they're hot shit whereas a thicc bitch knows why her man's with her

truly, when the records of 21st century ascetics, dharma warriors and enlightened masters are written, lofty odes to thicc bitch pussy shall flower in abundance. god speed you warped chubby vag respecting "meditator"

Grand, isn't it? He's a screwy guy.

>truly, when the records of 21st century ascetics, dharma warriors, and enlightened masters are written, idea to thicc bitch pussy will flower in abundance

Yeah, and if you think blondie is fat it just goes to show you don't really know what you're talking about. You've got this idea of what you're saying but you clearly have no real world experience to back it up

>All this 3D on this thread

>it just goes to show you don't really know what you're talking about.

Woah, bud, you're way out of line right now.

>in its proper context makes

idk, theres a lot of flab in the context too imo

there's some irony in this exchange though. joyce certainly didn't shy away from "politics, folkore, or the historical setting of events" in his later (seminal) work. as soon as i read that line i thought of Cyclops, where every 7 or 8 words theres a reference to a battlefield, political happening, folklore hero, etc

Only after studying Hegel's theory of aesthetics could I come to appreciate the transcendent beauty of the 2d women. It is the Ideal Romantic form in every sense. I say this unironically.

he become too old

>its a little sad if you think.

Not to mention "folklore" is basically all that Finnegan's Wake is about.

I think that encounter is just a classic example of an angry young man shaking his fist at the establishment, which Yeats definitely was in Dublin both as a poet and also as one of the head honchos of the Abbey Theatre. I'm sure Joyce, for all his pretensions about "exile" would have loved to have been the national bard and had thought it was unfair a proddy was the bard of Ireland.

That's what I thought

Thesis: Form (3D)
Antithesis: Beauty
Synthesis: 2D

Back to Joyce & Yeats

This writer strikes me as a hack with cognitive bias.

He's not a great writer, but he incrementally builds a somewhat interesting case for the influence of certain esoteric ideas on Joyce.

The snip in being from

Craig Carver, 'James Joyce and the Theory of Magic', James Joyce Quarterly, Vol. 15, No. 3 (Spring, 1978), pp. 201-214.
Stable URL: jstor.org/stable/25476132

If you read the Ellmann biography you can see that Joyce was indeed interested in Blavatsky and stuff like that. However, I don't think he was deeply influenced by them. He's just as much influenced by Shakespeare & Co. as the rest of great writers. Same for Yeats. Their interest in the esoteric was just fashionable for the time and was just a high-class fedora. It's the same reason why many writers from that era loved Nietzsche. They loved all the sound and fury.

I don't think the esoteric was an especially deep influence on Joyce, but if you read that article, the writer makes a pretty good, detailed case that a thread of such interest winds it way Portrait and Ulysses, in particular.

Yeats is a protofascist dunce

empirically wronk

"Thus to be truly beautiful, a thing must have an element of the mind in it's form, and indeed be a product of the mind. In this respect the beauty of nature [3d girls] exists for us as but a reflection of the beauty of mind, as a thing incomplete and imperfect in itself..."
Hegel would have been a fan of 2d waifus

What do you mean by this?

I had a leftie professor who said this and she also called Eliot a fascist. I think she was having blood come out of her wherever most the time however.

Veritably true.

haven't read FW yet.

hmm, this gives the disagreement more of an "anxiety of influence" angle if that stuff is true about yung joyce

he clearly knew about theosophy but imo what joyce is up to is way more out-there than the clunky mumblings of "occultists" or spiritualist ideologues like blatavsky/the theosophists, who were mostly bored bougie hobbyists. theosophy was a big part of the introduction of eastern thought into the west though. theyre largely responsible for the global revival of Yoga in the past hundred years

I don't think it was fedora-ism. the interest in esotericism by joyce at least was phenomenological. ulysses (and no doubt FW but ill leave that out since i haven't read it yet) is literature that understands itself as a mind-altering substance - that acts directly, without filtration thru symbolist-occultist ideas, which he clearly holds at arms length in ulysses.

>who were mostly bored bougie hobbyists
>I don't think it was fedora-ism
Don't you think there was a bit of "I'm superior to you because of my enlightened intelligence" to Joyce's personality? I see it all over his work, published personal correspondence, and the Ellmann biography. And I think his interest in theosophy is related to that, even if he did derive some influence from it as you and the other poster mentioned. But I also think he only employed his esoteric interest in his fiction as a device without being an actual believer. Just like the bored bougie hobbyists, the esotericism was just a game for Joyce, except he managed to employ it as a device in his fiction as an artist rather than a hobbyist. Anyway, hobbyist or artist, none of them actually believed in any of that.

>theyre largely responsible for the global revival of Yoga in the past hundred years
I had never heard that before, but I can believe it. There was definitely a fascination with the Far East at the time that definitely predates the later hippie fascination. Pound was responsible for popularizing poets such as Tagore and the Chinese and Japanese poets.

If you're ever in San Diego, go to Sunset Cliffs and check out the Greek Theater at the evangelical Christian university Point Loma Nazarene; it was originally built by Theosophists.

The whole bullshit about le evil city and all that

Get a load of this dumb shit

>Dostoevsky Tolstoy Melville Dante Cervantes Shakespeare
You actually gained 'wisdom' from reading these guys. I read them for their ability to aestheticize a familiar reality, not tell me something new about it. I feel bad for you if you go to art to learn something new.

>Don't you think there was a bit of "I'm superior to you because of my enlightened intelligence" to Joyce's personality?

you could be right, it sounds like you've read more by and about Joyce than I have. I do get some of that vibe from ulysses

>There was definitely a fascination with the Far East at the time that definitely predates the later hippie fascination

well and the late 19th C/early 20th C theosophy heyday was when Vedic/Buddhist texts were being translated into european languages on a large scale for the first time. the translations weren't very good and created a lot of confusion but tuned-in people clearly recognized right away that these were sophisticated texts. there have been 'quantam jumps' in eastern-thought interest among westerners since then (e.g. the hippies) but you can trace a snowballing linear ascent of interest from the late 19th C, and it only seems to be increasing now - the big fad in academic Psychology is "mindfulness," which to any serious student of buddha-dharma is nothing more than a cherry picking of a few meditation techniques from theravada buddhism, given a scientific facelift. our scientific establishment is essentially promoting watered-down buddhism as a therapy technology

>If you're ever in San Diego, go to Sunset Cliffs and check out the Greek Theater at the evangelical Christian university Point Loma Nazarene; it was originally built by Theosophists.

thanks for the tip

Riverun yeah yeah yeah. Fuck off pseud cunt.