Where were you when Strauss explained /pol/ once and for all?

Where were you when Strauss explained /pol/ once and for all?

>German nihilism desires the destruction of modern civilisation as far as modern civilisation has a moral meaning. As everyone knows, it does not object so much to modem technical* devices. That moral meaning of modem civilisation to which the German nihilists object, is expressed in formulations such as these: to relieve man's estate; or: to safeguard the rights of man; or: the greatest possible happiness of the greatest possible number. What is the motive underlying the protest against modem civilisation, against the spirit of the West*, and in particular of the Anglo-Saxon* West?

>The answer must be: it is a moral protest. That protest proceeds from the conviction that the internationalism inherent in modem civilisation, or, more precisely, that the establishment of a perfectly open society which is as it were the goal of modem civilisation, and therefore all aspirations directed toward that goal, are irreconcilable with the basic demands of moral life. That protest proceeds from the conviction that the root of all moral life is essentially and therefore eternally the closed society; from the conviction that the open society is bound to be, if not immoral, at least amoral: the meeting ground of seekers of pleasure, of gain, of irresponsible power, indeed of any kind of irresponsibility and lack of seriousness.3 Moral life, it is asserted, means serious life. Seriousness, and the ceremonial of seriousness the flag and the oath to the flag, are the distinctive features of the closed society, of the society which by its very nature, is constantly confronted with, and basically oriented toward, the Ernstfall, the serious moment, M-day, war. Only life in such a tense atmosphere, only a life which is based on constant awareness of the sacrifices* to which it owes its existence, and of the necessity, the duty of sacrifice of life and all worldly goods, is truly human: the sublime is unknown to the open society." The societies of the West which claim to aspire toward the open society, actually are closed societies in a state of disintegration: their moral value, their respectability, depends entirely on their still being closed societies.

You are aware that Strauss secretly just wanted a better and more successful German Nihilism.

Also you are right in the alt-right particular. Angela cummies Nagle should have known that her thesis is already done decades ago.

lmao dude I browse Veeky Forums, you don't think I'm far right myself?

that really made me think

>German nihilism rejects then the principles of civilisation as such in favor of war and conquest, in favor of the warlike virtues. German nihilism is therefore akin to German militarism. This compels us to raise the question what militarism is. Militarism can be identified as the view expressed by the older Moltke in these terms: "Eternal peace is a dream, and not even a beautiful one."26 To believe that eternal peace is a dream, is not militarism, but perhaps plain commonsense; it is at any rate not bound up with a particular moral taste. But to believe that eternal peace is not a beautiful dream, is tantamount to believing that war is something desirable in itself; and to believe that war is something desirable in itself, betrays a cruel, inhuman disposition. The view that war is good in itself, implies the rejection of the distinction between just and unjust wars, between wars of defence and wars of aggression. It is ulti mately irreconcilable with the very idea of a law of nations.

Spoken as someone who doesn't browse Veeky Forums

Veeky Forums is /pol/ just as /pol/ is Veeky Forums. Accept that. Veeky Forums is a right-wing board.

I think of Zizek when he said that thing about "its the joke that masks the fact they are serious"

Source me up, famalam. I want to cross-read that with German nihilism now.

/pol/ can't even define "right-wing"

But we can't define nothing.

>tfw Talmudic overinterpretation got us into this mess but it's only Talmudic overinterpretation that can get us out

Agree with you on the right-wing Veeky Forums matter.

/pol/ is twitter and ressit though

Good passages, OP. Where's this from?

I think it's hard not to lean right after reading 200+ year old authors who would all be very "problematic" by todays standards. It makes you realize the scope of political theory. Also engenders a love for western thought and art, thats hard to reconcile with the modern blind cultural relativism and shaming of the west.

>it's hard not to lean right when you're so sentimental

For me it was the opposite desu

How? Did you read Hegel's lectures on aesthetics alongside Dante while skimming through Romantic painting and gothic architecture and think, "huh, this is pretty useless, I much prefer our great and diverse contemporary artists, like uhhhh..... uhm.. oh the Hate U Give! A young POC women using her platform to draw attention to modern American racial politics, can't get that from lame old Homer know can you?"

His essay on literally "German Nihilism". It's easily found online. :3

I like neoclassic and romantic pantings the best, doesnt mean I'm not a nihilist at heart.

(((open societies)))

>/pol/
>destruction of modern civilization
You really do not understand what /pol/ or the "alt-right" actually are.

The only tangentially related groups (really also heavily critical) that actually desire this are "national bolsheviks" (whether duginist or syncretic in nature), "primitivists" of various strains and Nick Land + associates.

If Veeky Forums is a elitist board, at its core. Let me break it down for you, Veeky Forums = Evola and /pol/ = Milo Yilowafghnawiofhawo'fhawpis.

evola is for teens

This desu

*swooshes trenchcoat*

I'm waiting - what is it?

Nihilism is premise foolery. If everything is meaningless, then what was meaning defined as?
Why would scholars produce a meaningless word?

Ah, an American. Amazing how you guys are completely incapable of any holistic thinking and have to fit everything into your retarded dualistic political system.
>durr you like burzum that means you want to burn a church
You can still believe in the liberal democracy and be connected to your roots.
Also, nice pseud-tier name-dropping. I bet you think of yourself as a fine conoisseur of the Le Great Western Civilization.

The Jews got to us, it's okay though we'll be rid of this virus soon

Arthur Danto did all those things and yet he did not become a cringey namedropping pseud who virtue signalls by posting pictures of token renaissance art (all the 5 works he knows, he's a preserver of Western Culture now) on a taiwanese carpet weaving agora

Veeky Forums is one of the final true platforms of free speech left

I hope so. Can't wait for you guys to fuck over your country so I don't have to hear you bitching on the internet anymore.

On the chans the /pol/tards come and go
Talking of Michelangelo

one other thing
>skimming
well, at least you are honest with yourself

its all part of the great cycle

based snake

All right-wing belief presupposes inequality. The types of inequality differ, it can be anything from aristocratic to economic, but they always have inequality as a given of society. Read Norberto Bobbio.

inequality is a given of nature

holy...

If there are any Straussians here I would greatly appreciate advice or reading recommendations geared toward understanding the insight of the great men of the past

Veeky Forums on suicide watch right now

Yeah teens really enjoy a nigga who tells them everything they wanna do is degenerate and that there is no real point to fighting the modern world, just sit there and ride the tiger bro.

Atheism is premise foolery. If God doesn't exist, then what was God defined as?
Why would scholars produce a meaningless word?

Read Strauss' definition of modern civilization again and you'll see that the open society of multiculturalism is a logical extension of the universalist-internationalist paradigm of Western civilization.

/pol/ is a proponent of the closed society and therefore an enemy of "modern" civilization. Not civilization in general but civilization in its contemporary expression.

>I think it's hard not to lean right after reading 200+ year old authors who would all be very "problematic" by todays standards.

Then you read places like /pol/ and are reminded just how moronic today's right wing is. Anyone that becomes right wing because of reading old books, and then simultaneously defends /pol/lacks and /pol/ culture, is confused about how things are.

Yeah, nihilism was never a hit with edgy teens, was it?

Isn't Veeky Forums the closest one may come to a completely open society with 100% depersonalized and abstract interaction as conceived by Popper? Or didn't I get something?

Veeky Forums is pure evil. Here, people can say whatever they want, anything at all, with no SOCIAL CONSEQUENCES.. Can you even imagine that? No social consequences at all! The bourgeois, the Same, the horde, the mass, the herd doesn't get to have any input at all! It doesn't even get to groupthink away your right to speak, or lynch you on the orders of someone with higher social clout in the most trendy circlejerks.

The future will be utopian, and it will be nonstop Twitter. Perfectly curated, perfectly shaped discourse, so that nothing upsetting or out of the ordinary ever happens. Everyone knows their place in the circlejerk and the only thing that matters is petty normie socializing until the end of time. A paradise, where all the freaks who aren't unthinkingly sunk in social life can be exposed like wonky newborns in antiquity.

cucks

Veeky Forums is intellectual /pol. That means no libertarians, anarchists, neolibs or neocons.

evola isn't really nihilist. Western esotericism is a different tradition entirely.

Not a "Straussian" but am a fan. If you want a straussian sense of classical thought (something many -from Havelock to Castoriadis- have found objectionable) I'd start with the following:
Read Strauss and friends Jacob Klein and Alexander Kojeve. Also read his students, particularly Stanley Rosen, Richard Kennington, Seth Benardete, Henry Jaffa. Allan Bloom, the most famous of Strauss' students, is inessential. Though his translation of the republic is good. Thomas Pangle -whom I haven't read- has compiled a couple of great, introductory collections of Strauss' thought. His book on Xenophon (with reply by Kojeve) is also a great starting point.
Of his student's writings the only ones that are essential (for general consumption) are Rosen's "Nihilism" and his "Hermeneutics as Politics".
Also ignore the poster who says Strauss wants a better German nihilism.

riverrun, my asshole snapped forward with a sickening squelch. from it, a glistening, crimson, fleshy pipe oozing a brownish-green liquid, like watery sewage-paste, highlighted by the scarletness of my prolapsed rectum. my gay friend Rascario's tongue flicked up and down the floppy appendage, circling around the descended hole and lightly pushing the pink organ inside the extraordinarily loose orifice, sucking it with a slurping echo the salty runaway juices.

Really great. Next time try to provide more characterization for Rascario -what's his motivation?

he lives in consequent and nonunpreconsequent lifejoy, hungering screvaciously for intrepidly crassunctifying manclaspers fordraving the ripeldiad bethelviantine garakasnaps.

I'd say so but Strauss is not referring to Popper but to Bergson who coined the term first.

>Also ignore the poster who says Strauss wants a better German nihilism.
I read the essay and I get the impression that Strauss at least wants to preserve a semi-closed society. In this motivation he joins the German nihilists which he critiques for their mindset and methods. Am I mistaken?

This is an idiotic narrative-creep since society is closed by the finitude of the planet. "Oh no different cultures however shall we orient ourselves in this chaos". You're all stuck on a quasi-spherical shell. Even if society expands and mutates, it's not going much of anywhere else.

Talk about not being able to see the big scientific picture, and incorporating same into your gobbledygook.

>gobbledygook.

For you.

It's because Americans are mind drones born into a 2 party brainworld - Ultimate Political Hell. Ultimate Dualism. Zarathustra's regret.

fuck off back to /pol/

Not, that's just the identity politics game everyone's playing these days.

I feel like, when trying to explain /pol/, people miss the blatantly obvious. The posts on /pol/ are really not that radical. Indeed, virtually everyone in almost every non-Western nation shares /pol/'s views on race, immigration, and the right to sovereignty. Ask a native Japanese or Hungarian to explain their views on race or immigration, and, by Western standards, they would sound like a Nazi.

zizekism-evolaism is the only viable ideology for the 21st century

Home in bed

This man in my country he is everything.

this. we're all supposed to believe that a chinese person, from two chinese parents, with an unbroken chinese ancestry, who speaks mandarin as well as english, is a scot or an englishman or a german just because his passport says so and he happens to live here. never in a million years would people expect the chinese to accept the reverse. it's all nonsense.

>no libertarians
>not knowing about Hoppean Libertarianism

>t. brainlet

>Hoppe
>intellectual