/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

Hoarding Edition

>How many sff books you completed so far for the year?
>How many sff books did you borrow for the year?
>How many sff books did you lend for the year?

FANTASY
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21329.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21328.jpg
Flowchart:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21327.jpg
SCIENCE FICTION
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg
NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg
SF&F author listing with ratings and summaries (incomplete, mostly pre-Millenium):
>greatsfandf.com/authors-full-list.php

Previously In Threads:

"Give, give, O magnanimous and liberal lord of the poor," cried the beggar.

Avoosl Wuthoqquan, the richest and most avaricious money-lender in all Commoriom, and, by that token, in the whole of Hyperborea, was startled from his train of reverie by the sharp, eerie, cicada-like voice. He eyed the supplicant with acidulous disfavor. His meditations, as he walked homeward that evening, had been splendidly replete with the shining of costly metals, with coins and ingots and gold-work and argentry, and the flaming or sparkling of many-tinted gems in rills, rivers and cascades, all flowing toward the coffers of Avoosl Wuthoqquan. Now the vision had flown; and this untimely and obstreporous voice was imploring for alms.

"I have nothing for you." His tones were like the grating of a shut clasp.

"Only two pazoors, O generous one, and I will prophesy."

Avoosl Wuthoqquan gave the beggar a second glance He had never seen so disreputable a specimen of the mendicant class in all his wayfarings through Commoriom. The man was preposterously old, and his mummy-brown skin, wherever visible, was webbed with wrinkles that were like the heavy weaving of some giant jungle-spider. His rags were no less than fabulous; and the beard that hung down and mingled with them was hoary as the moss of a primeval juniper.

"I do not require your prophecies."

"One pazoor then."

"No."

The eyes of the beggar became evil and malignant in their hollow sockets, like the heads of two poisonous little pit-vipers in their holes.

"Then, O Avoosl Wuthoqquan," he hissed, "I will prophesy gratis. Harken to your weird: the godless and exceeding love which you bear to all material things, and your lust therefor, shall lead you on a strange quest and bring you to a doom whereof the stars and the sun will alike be ignorant. The hidden opulence of earth shall allure you and ensnare you; and earth itself shall devour you at the last."

"Begone," said Avoosl Wuthoqquan. "The weird is more than a trifle cryptic in its earlier clauses; and the final clause is somewhat platitudinous. I do not need a beggar to tell me the common fate of mortality."

give me your absolute best fantasy book

die

It's out boyos

Gormenghast

Been meaning to get into The Prince of Nothing series, but from what I've the books are extremely bleak with no characters you can actively root for. Which begs the question, what makes these books good?

GRI
Lore
Pretentious philosophizing

Pseuds like them because the author flunked out of getting a psychology degree and uses big words to shock normies into thinking he's "deep."

around 10 so far
0, I buy all my books.

realistic sci-fi? I can't buy the world dynamics of the forever war.

Fucked up, dark shit
A variety of insane characters
A genuinely epic feel, especially some of the battle/army scenes

So im about halfway through the fist of the Mistborn saga and its good. I am turned off though by the fact that it jumps into steampunk out of fucking nowhere though. I like my fantasy to stay fantasy not fucking neo tech faggotry shit.

Book 3 was far too predictable and YA in parts. It should have been Nassun recreating Evangelion.

Which fat fuck will have their series finished first? Fatty Patrick or fatso Georgie Martin?

I can see what you mean. I didn't mind the orogene/Niess backstory, but I do hate these sorts of status quo endings. Overall I'd say I enjoyed it, even with the ending. What odds do you give it of getting the hugo 3 times in a row?

bet none of these clowns can write in the era of Trump haha

Hello, I'm the pathetic Terry Brooks shill, and I'm here to talk to you about the Heritage of Shannara tetrology. Now, we can all agree that Terry Brooks is now shit. Rehashed plot and plot structures, genuinely terrible narration and dialogue, and so forth.

Take a moment to consider the Heritage, however. Post-OT and pre-1999 Terry Brooks peaked as a prose stylist and achieves (somewhat) literary status. Emotionally resonant and genuinely fun to read, Heritage (starting with Scions and ending with Talismans) is very underrated and, dare I say it, quite original.

Now suck my dick Martinfags.

You think we care about your likes and dislikes because??

>is now shit
It doesn't seem that you know the drill when it comes to author with the nzmenrpf

>nzmenrpf
New Zealand Movie-inspired Escapist New Role Playing Fantasy?

>What odds do you give it of getting the hugo 3 times in a row?
Probably very low and I don't think the third book deserves it. Obelisk did in my opinion.

>implying Sword of Shannara wasn't a rehash from the get-go

One which I immediately DRM'd because it appeared on overdrive faster than I could torrent it. I wouldn't be able to read so much if I didn't regularly torrent. I can't imagine spending $60 per book like I was forced to in the past.

Four more I downloaded from overdrive because the copies weren't retail.
Maybe a few more I downloaded and ended up deleting.

I have access to about 10 overdrive accounts totalling a tonne of accessible books and most of those are probably hacked accounts that I might never end up downloading a single book off.

I said post-OT. Yes, Sword of Shannara was a carbon copy of LotR, and so bad it hurt. Comfy as fuck tho.

Luckily that's pretty much the reason it was published. If we'll be serious, if it weren't for Terry Brooks (along with Donaldson, McCaffrey, and McKiernan [who BTW wrote LotR fanfiction]), epic fantasy would not even be a thing today. No Rothfuss, no Martin, no Jordan, possibly even no Wolfe.

>Request audiobook upload for unpopular series
>Tfw gonna take weeks if anyone even bothers

It subverts typical fantasy tropes to the point where you end up supporting the "villain"

>tfw no good fantasy to read

It's a foolish endeavour trying to request anything on a website that isn't redacted.ch (and generally speaking, it's a bad idea to waste buffer on stuff that could be gotten from OD).

you can get OD cards from bib PU, search the series on OD, decide which libraries have it, pray that the list matches up with the card list 99% of the time it will and request the card from the libary

This is after you have scoured audiobook irc channels and the web and mobilism and everything.

You can also use the audible trial and rip shit off that but I don't listen to audiobooks.

I think you need to enter your card details for audible trial, and no way I'm doing that

What's the series?

Dark Immolation - Chaos Queen by Cristopher Husberg, the second book

The biggest problem for you isn't the fact that the series of unpopular but the fact that Overdrive is the biggest source of ripped audiobooks because it is a free service run by libraries and the series you want isn't on overdrive in any form except an epub.

Ah shit, so the request will basically not be fulfilled for like a year.
Guess I'll have to read it instead

Different places have different fill rates. Sometimes it won't get filled at all and epubs are way easier to get ones hand on than audiobooks.

Yeah ebooks are way easier, graphicaudio is perhaps the hardest for things that aren't really popular like Sandersons things

It might be because the epubs are really small, available all over OD and potato internet can upload it.

Probably more people getting the ebooks rather than audiobooks too

Did anyone here read Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain as a kid?

Female warriors ruin books

...wow

just picked this up. what am i in for?

Mindfuck

in a good way?

Yes it's number 2 on my favourite book list.

good. just curious, what is number 1?

see

At the moment it's
1. The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch.
2. Hyperion Cantos
3. Ubik
4. Foundation Series (Tie between Forward the Foundation and Second Foundation - Mule's story)
Three Stigmata tops Hyperion simply because I like Barney and Eldritch and the plot individually more than Silenus, Sol, Rachel, Keats and the Shrike but cumulatively they are better than the rest of Three Stigmata's cast.

I am probably going to rearrange numbers 5 to 10 when I find a new book that is amazing.

>No Rothfuss
>implying that would be bad

But anyway, Priest's Tale and The Scholar's Tale >>>> Three Stigmata. The Consul story was a disappointment and what dragged Hyperion down in my opinion.

*was

thanks

>with no characters you can actively root for.
You can root for all the chads that fug Akka's waifu in front of him.

I'm reading Name of the Wind for the first time now. Why is the MC so cringe

>reading Name of the Wind
Why? Don't you listen to us?

My friend bought it for me so I'm obligated

What kind of person is your friend?

>tfw I also read it for that reason
You might comfort yourself knowing that the first book is not really worse than average. Just make sure your friend don't buy you the second book.

A good dude. Doesn't read much anymore, not sure if he's read much fantasy, but then again I havn't since I was a teen, either.

So basically he was impressed by the book because he hasn't read a whole lot, kind of like most people who read A Song of Ice and Fire?

Maybe. I've probably read much more fantasy than him, it was basically my childhood. Also, it's my first time in this general thread - I havn't read a fantasy book in over 5 years, probably.

>Write a thankful message to an author whose books you like
>He basically tells you to fuck off

fucking asshole

Please tell me it was Sanderson

It was supposed to be "know the drill when when it comes to authors who have the name Terry in their title." I was fighting sleep when I typed that...failed obviously.

The Consult
The magic system
The most violent of all men

Post the message. There are a few SFF writers who I have a feeling are huge pricks IRL.

I really wonder what the mentality going into making the exact same posts in multiple threads over the course of many weeks. Do you not have any other thoughts?

I'm conflicted between him actually taking the time to respond to me, and him being such an asshole in his response.
There's not a whole lot of authors who I imagine would actually respond.
But even then, I won't give him any free advertisement, I will never even mention his name or his books. Word of mouth is extremely important for authors

Or you could get an ebook reader, a Version 5 text to speech voice(neo Bridgett or something), and make your own audio book.

It's either Vox Day and his ilk, or the Moorecock cunt.

Just post the message without any names. Then we'll have fun trying to guess who it is.

Can you please post who it is and the message spoilered even?

Hello.

Your vehement admiration is by no doubt unique. I thoroughly enjoy you going through the effort of reaching out to me, albeit I am completely clueless as what you ever hoped to achieve with that.
Did you imagine me thanking you for your support? Did you imagine me giving you some half-assed words of encouragement?
I am in the process of writing the next book in the series, did you think you would encourage me in some way? The only thing you have accomplished is wasting my time by responding to you when I could be writing the book. Are you happy with that? Does your ego feel fulfilled now that an author has finally replied to you, no doubt you've reached out to many authors, we know your kind. You have delayed my book, but I have no doubt you feel very good with yourself indeed, because you have received a response.

With the upmost love and respect -

kek

I saw Gene Wolfe at a grocery store in Illinois a few weeks ago. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, and that he was a huge influence in I becoming an author, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly

definitely gurm

This was obviously Rothfuss.

do most Baen books suck?

I was reading David Drake's attempt at the Aubrey-Maturin novels IN SPACE, and it was god-awful. Apparently Drake came away with only one personality trait for both main characters- Jack Aubery is exuberant and cheerful, so his fan-fic character yells MY GOD and BY JOVE every two pages. Stephen Mataturin is good at dueling so his expy remind the readers every three pages that she's just -so- good at dueling, you guys. And the racism turns from charming to grating as everyone from allied planetary dictators to inbred inhabitants of other worlds are treated as "wogs" and called as such to their face.

And it doesn't even make any sense- the main characters' empire consists of a single world in a single system that doesn't even have a technological advantage over other planets and it's never explained how they got to be on top.

But the Bolo series was awesome. Was it a diamond in a pile of trash, or are there other good Baen books?

H i a t u s

HAHAHA that's incredible

Now that is some narcissism lel

Rothfuss rofl

Baen notoriously publishes anything that they think will sell. If you're not a right-wing/libertarian pleb, finding something good published by Baen will amount to a diamond-in-the-rough search.

meant for

well fuck

how about Tor?

You got me there.

This is great. My guess is GRRM, possibly Rothfuss.

>read much fantasy, but then again I havn't since I was a teen, either.

Baen?

Some of those like Sabriel are so fucking old that it is laughable to imply that the person you're responding to wouldn't have read them in their teenage years.

What books does a Kemono Friends poster read?

>yfw you realize Norrell is a satire of Sanderson-style autists who want to codify magic with a bunch of complicated rules, losing sight of the things that were Magical about it in the first place
GOAT book

what's the cut-off for modern?

this was a nice story, read the whole thing

lmfao

>Complicated rules
>Sanderson
>Implying the reason 'muh strictly defined magic systems' didn't pop up in the first place was due to people getting tired of lazy ass writers writing themselves out of corners with their vaguely, and sometimes self-contradictory, bullshit.

>implying it wasn't because modern readers are soulless autismatons lacking in imagination and whimsy

The ironic thing here is that autists like Sanderson have far more unique and interesting magic compared to the vague dinosaur shit of the past. Sorry, not everyone is impressed by wizards who can seemingly cast anything out their dick holes.

Care to post a book/s that exemplifies for you the vague and self-contradictory writing of lazy dinosaurs? I know Sanderson's writing, but I'm curious exactly what you're on about.