Is he the greatest philosopher of our time?

Is he the greatest philosopher of our time?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tHGNf6nWUm0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Doubt it.

>conservative "philosopher"
no

You are not a conservative, a conservative would never write with that attitude. What you say does not matter.

Wrong picture

Who is this and what has he written

He synthesised Plato and Wittgenstein, who the fuck are you?

>He synthesised Plato and Wittgenstein

This is copypasta level pseudo

I synthesised pink bury grill and pepe into a brand new meme, a far greater achievement

wrong picture

wrong picture

literally who?

While I've read and liked his articles in the New Criterion, I doubt he's the great philosopher of our time. If he is, then our age really does blow (can someone do some heroic couplets in the vane of Alexander Pope on this theme?)

No I am

Not the greatest, but he surely is a very good one.
Here is a video destroying J.K. Rowling and her fanbase: youtube.com/watch?v=tHGNf6nWUm0

That video is shit and dissapointing.

From what I understand Scruton isn't really a traditional publishing philosopher, he's way more interested in researching and/how to teach philosophy, which he's supposedly very good at.

I doubt that you have watched the video. Anyway, please elaborate your thoughts.

Not even close

Charles Taylor is highly underrated. Scruton isn't really a philosopher, more of an essayist, cultural critic. Am I wrong?

>No response
I thought so.

>not a traditional publishing philosopher
>more interested in researching and teaching philosophy

Well, unless he's the next Socrates, which he doesn't appear to be, I doubt he will be remembered for his research and teaching. I don't know much about philosophy but to me it seems that all the great modern philosophers were published while obviously we get the ancients in a more haphazard fashion as a result of oral and manuscript tradition e.g. if I recall correctly what we have of Aristotle are just lecture notes taken by one of his students, not his actual writing.

Not him, but there's very little of value or insight in that video. Anyone with half a brain understands that HP is hardly an educative work even in terms of books for children. He fails to explore the actually interesting questions of why it became so phenomenally popular not only with children, but with many adults too, or why indeed do these people feel that HP or JKR are in any measure an authority on real life and real life politics. Instead he just rambles for 10 minutes explaining something that could be said in 30 seconds.

No.

>Greatest philosopher
>Anglo/american
Pls think before you post next time

Voi-la

wrong picture

Scruton is absolutely the worst kind of reactionary.

Is he a philosopher would be the better question.

and

>need a PHD in Heidegger, Hegel, and Set Theory to even understand
>wannabe Walter benjamin

habermas or in the """"continental tradition""" and probably searle for the anglos

Ya'll need Parfit

An above average blogger, but not a functional philosopher.

Yawn, its Scruton's publicist or a Uni graduate working at a publishing house shilling on Veeky Forums again.

le conservative thinkers who's just a baby boomer