Alright, get me started on Cormac McCarthy...

Alright, get me started on Cormac McCarthy. I already watched No Country for Old Men and kinda read Blood Meridian so besides those.

Other urls found in this thread:

ww1.cartooncrazy.net/watch/mike-tyson-mysteries-episode-1-the-end/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Suttree. Has some parts that make you think the man hasn't got his plates all ordered in his cupboard, but mostly, it's just great.

>Cecil froze from head to toes
>and stiffer than a tortoise
>in spite of drinking strained canned heat
>and dilute Aqua Fortis

After that, Child Of God, even though not everyone agrees that this is good.

Thank you.

Ah yes, old Corny McCobthy. I suggest you start by throwing his corny tripe directly where it belongs: in the trash.

Start with Mike Tyson Mysteries season 1 episode 1. Really activated my almonds irt to this literal nobody.

ww1.cartooncrazy.net/watch/mike-tyson-mysteries-episode-1-the-end/

ah, blood meridian, monsieur? that novel is the sark and chaparral of literature, the filament whereon rode the remuda of highbrow, corraled out of some destitute hacienda upon the arroya, quirting and splurting with main and with pyrolatrous coagulate of lobated grandiloquence. our eyes rode over the pages, monsieur, of that slatribed azotea like argonauts of suttee, juzgados of swole, bights and systoles of walleyed and tyrolean and carbolic and tectite and scurvid and querent and creosote and scapular malpais and shellalagh. we scalped, monsieur, the gantlet of its esker and led our naked bodies into the rebozos of its mennonite and siliceous fauna, wallowing in the jasper and the carnelian like archimandrites, teamsters, combers of cassinette scoria, centroids of holothurian chancre, with pizzles of enfiladed indigo panic grass in the saltbush of our vigas, true commodores of the written page, rebuses, monsieur, we were the mygale spiders too and the devonian and debouched pulque that settled on the frizzen studebakers, listening the wolves howling in the desert while we saw the judge rise out of a thicket of corbelled arches, whinstone, cairn, cholla, lemurs, femurs, leantos, moonblanched nacre, uncottered fistulas of groaning osnaburg and kelp, isomers of fluepipe and halms awap of griddle, guisado, pelancillo.

Every thread about McCarthy some moron will pop up and do this. As if a vast vocabulary was something despicable. Just because you are an uneducated fuck and, worse, not willing to learn, it doesn't mean you have to try to demean people who are capable of writing complex sentences.

Not because it is morally wrong. Just because you look like some hillbilly brat who makes fun of the kid in the class who wears glasses and actually knows some of the answers. Simply put, it makes you look immensely stupid.

I just wanted to bump the thread.

This reminds me of something I've been wondering about lately and this feels like a good place to discuss it.

Why is it that when I hear someone speak with a Southern drawl, I feel conditioned to think of them as less intelligent people? I know from reading McCarthy that this isn't the case, there are plenty of them who are very smart, genuinely thoughtful individuals. But when I hear the accent, my first thought is "This is not a smart person" and they have to prove themselves to me first. Why is that?

Because, mostly, they are. The problem with prejudices is not that they are not true, but that they are not true for everyone you apply them to. As long as you stay critic as you did and don't fall for that, you're good.

It's pasta mate

So what? What do you think is the purpose of the pasta? What type posts it and why?

>

Was a fan of child of god - a quicker read compared to blood meridian and the road

The shitposting type. While it's admirable to call them out and attempt to shame them, you have to understand that they are incapable of feeling the emotion of shame. They function solely on the misguided belief that everyone who provides them with any semblance of opposition is "mad." You cannnot win against that type of person - they sustain themselves on their own delusions. The only thing that will finally put an end to their childish behavior is the cold embrace of death.

>kinda read
What the fuck? Read it again, faggot

Suttree is a denser and more intimidating read than the usual McCarthy recommendations, but it's incredible. It hit me with some stuff at the time of my life when I needed it. Probably in my top 10 novels of all time.

Back when I was in uni I had to read Blood Meridian for one of my classes, so naturally I just used SparkNotes like I did for pretty much everything I read in university (because the pace at which they expected me to read each day was far too quick for my tastes) and skimmed a few passages here and there otherwise. Of course, this did not remotely affect my ability to graduate with an English degree because literature is the easiest subject to fake knowledge of, to an almost comical extent. Now that I've been done with university for quite a few years and can really appreciate literature I'm ready to read some McCarthy at my own pace, but since I already know what happens in Blood Meridian I'll leave it for later on, perhaps after I've tackled Suttree.

The beauty of Blood Meridian isn't what happens, it's the way it's told and what it means. You owe it to yourself to give it a thorough read

Oh, I assure you I will, it's just not as high priority as some of his other books. Though it's interesting that you say that about Blood Meridian since I thought that what happened (or rather, what didn't happen) in No Country was one of the many things that made it so fascinating.

Read BM again, then Child of God, then Suttree

Why that order?

Because otherwise you're gonna read my knuckles between your eyes, pal

the order isn't that important, but suttree is great and fairly difficult compared to CoG, so i would suggest saving it for last.

I see, thanks. Looking at McCarthy's bibliography I see CoG came before Suttree anyway, and "read the author's work in publishing order" tends to be a pretty good policy. However I notice nobody in this thread so far has even given a passing mention to The Orchard Keeper or Outer Dark. Any particular reason for that?

>tfw used to love McCarthy
>can't read him anymore because there's too much prose poetry, my eyes just glaze over
>it isn't even purple prose, its extremely well written, its just too sweet
>tfw same thing has happened with Nabokov, may even happen with Updike
hold me Veeky Forums

truly transcended

Maybe Fun with Dick and Jane would be more your style?

I've heard very good things about The Orchard Keeper, never read it though.
The reason for those three is that they are generally assumed to be his opuses.

The fuck? Let me simplify what you just said.
"This author's writing is so good that I can no longer enjoy him."
Is that what's going on here? Veeky Forums is so masochistic that they can only enjoy something if it sucks?

>kinda read