Books or ebooks Veeky Forums?

books or ebooks Veeky Forums?
and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2009/07/18/technology/companies/18amazon.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

given the impressive displays on modern handsets i'd say ebooks are gonna make a big surge and replace paperback eventually

Why settle for either/or when you can have both/and?

Both. Buy paperback and pirate the ebook.

Ebooks are a convenient way to hoard titles without needing a fuckhuge physical space. I usually pirate new titles and if they are good i buy the print and donate to the library.
Still, i prefer to read on paper which i do on books i know i'll read through no matter what. Either way, all my books end up with the paper copy donated and the other stored in my ereader.

I prefer books because, it's easier to remove any and all distractions by taking the book with you, and go to another room to read. Ereaders on the other hand, have internet capability built-in, which makes the other functions of the E-reader a constant potential distraction. I can have difficulty trying to understand a passage in an ebook, and the next thing I know, I am on Veeky Forums or youtube for half an hour.

Why choose one? I read ebooks and then buy the works I'd like to have in my collection permanently and possibly reread later. Physical books are also clearly better for studying offering superior retention rate.

I have trouble retaining or concentrating on anything that I read off of a screen, so I will never use ebooks.

I get ebooks for things like Notes from Underground and short stories that cost $5> on amazon and aren't worth getting a physical copy of
I almost always get novels in physical form though

O always Read on ebook but paper books are the best.

Ebooks to save time/money
Books for the tactility

I much prefer paper for literature. For uni shit (imma stemlord) I just pirate a lot of shit from libgen
Have to admit that some of those fucking doorstoppers (like freshman calc and physics) are horribly unwieldy. Beyond that, paper is always better.
I have never read a kindle tho. Would like to get one

Kindles and other ereaders are nice because they try to mimnic the paper looks and you don't need to hold a book open. It is less tiresome if you are like me and buys mostly shitty paperbacks

Fuck minimalism. Shelves of books are patrician as Fuck

books
paper reads better, it's an object you hold in your hand, so there's an otherness and singularity to it, as well as commitment. it's easier to get enchanted by it and harder to put away
ebook is just another virtual image within an interface on a flat screen, a medium that makes everything equally of no consequence hence why people read screen text faster and more superficially

>can't read books in pitch black unless you have some awkward extra tool
Checkmate, bookfags.

this argument is nonsense, you could say that anything is the same on paper and you treat a book same way you treat tabloid
especially in your mothers basement
get an e paper reader
get an e paper reader
[citation needed (and not that fucking study done by book industry)]
airplane mode exists.

t. nerd

I have a Kindle Paperwhite and it makes this argument moot. While it has an internet connection, the internet browser is so terrible that there is no way you can possibly get distracted by it. I only use the internet to highlight words I don't know, and even then the dictionary doesn't require an internet connection. Only Wikipedia does.

I've bought an aura one for reading manga (for free) and few rare books that i can reach only in digital form.

btw It's a great device if you (as me) fap almost only with doujin

I thought this at first but then I actually held an e-ink reader and was surprised at how much it felt like an actual book. Like the material they make the screen out of is made to feel just like paper, and you can glide your hand across it like you're turning the page. I actually feel far more invested in books now that I have one that is so easy to carry. And the material lets you read it in any lighting, and you never have problems with a poorly chosen font face or a too-small font size. It's wonderful.

>you can't read ebook in pitch black nor light if your battery is empty

>can't read books if amazon decides to remove them
nytimes.com/2009/07/18/technology/companies/18amazon.html

>[citation needed (and not that fucking study done by book industry)]
There's been more than a few studies all coming to the same conclusion, but I see you've already prepared a reply to dismiss any and all of them, so not even going to bother getting links. Carry on your autistic crusade.

Are you retarded? You don't need to buy every book from the Amazon store. You can read any book that you have the ebook file of. Not even going to read that stupid article from ten fucking years ago.

but most of them did not even used an e paper reader, they were literally retarded and also funded by book industry, which has gone silent since amazon made prices the same for physical and e books.

(You)

>he went looking for an 8 year old article about amazon removing copyright-violating book once to be autistically contrarian on topic he knows nothing about

(You)

This guy is based as fuck. He knows what he's talking about. Really smart guy all around.

Ah yes, there is surely nothing wrong with this corporation removing a book from my device. Nothing wrong indeed.

>draconian anti-piracy digital countermeasures are definitely getting laxer over time, guys! someone drew attention to it 8 years ago so they'll never do it again!

you're a fucking sheep

Post your nose.

>Amazon effectively acknowledged that the deletions were a bad idea. “We are changing our systems so that in the future we will not remove books from customers’ devices in these circumstances,” Mr. Herdener said.
Can you give any example of it happening in 2017? No? That's what I thought.

>the corporation says they won't do it again, guys! don't worry!

Both.

I buy first editions when they aren't extremely expensive or other hard bound/high quality trade papers if they are. I read those when I'm st home. I also pirate ebooks to take when traveling. Right now I'm traveling for nearly 5 months. It would be impossible to bring enough physical books.

Amazon has the ability to remove any book from your library at any time. You're a fucking cuck.

Some did, some didn't. It doesn't really even matter much whether it was lcd or eink - they measured learning material absorption and retention, not eyestrain or fatigue.

That's completely false. It's becoming quite clear you don't actually own a Kindle.

>draconian
>anti-piracy

>in these circumstances

>That's completely false.
clearly not
Face it, you're Amazon's little cuck.

It's becoming quite clear that you're literally a cuck.

Everyone who bought it was refunded. Take your autism elsewhere.

Samefag

not an argument

Oh, now I definitely know you're from /pol/.

>you can't read this book anymore but that's okay because we gave you your money back!

Oh, now I definitely know you're from Reddit.

Yes. The book was distributed by a publishing without proper copyright agreement. Are you a bit dim?

>Everyone who bought it was refunded.
Is that supposed to make the removal of a book from your library okay?

>we burnt your book but that's okay because we're going to give you your money back!

>sorry we burnt your book, we won't do it again!

>make okay
There's nothing wrong with it to begin with it in that particular case.
Nothing was burnt. You were free to purchase the very same book from a different publisher the moment it was replaced. Take your contrarian autism to one of the boards for imbeciles.

How obsessed are you with winning this argument?

>Nothing was burnt.
Effectively there is no difference. Nice "arguments".

>tfw you have no actual argument so you resort to completely unfitting retarded analogies

samefag idiot

Effectively there is a massive difference. That's why I just pointed it out. Again, try one of the special needs boards for your level of discussion.

>You were free to purchase the very same book from a different publisher the moment it was replaced.
For now.

How the fuck is a lamp an awkward extra tool.

>one of the special needs boards
?

Like /pol/?

Yes. There's nothing to talk about for now.

>Again, try one of the special needs boards for your level of discussion.
You're unable to form an argument with even a hint of critical thinking so you resort to insults. It's just sad. Seek help.

staring at computer screens for long amounts of time hurts my eyes and I fucking hate touch interfaces.

I agree wholeheartedly my fellow intellectual, let us wait until all of the books are burned before we do something!

That's because computer screens are reflective. E-ink is not.

If you try really hard for once and read my posts, you might notice that I did in fact provide arguments in every reply while you were posting edgy greentext straw men and faulty similes. I'm kinda tired of this autistic (you) fishing by what seems to be a mentally deficient teenager who recently discovered ebyn trolling. I'd wish you a shit day, but yours are probably not very good anyways. I'm out.

He's probably chuckling so hard to himself right now. The only happiness he'll ever find.

*snickers*

Thanks for admitting that you have no argument.

I prefer physical books, but I download many because because I'm a poorfag.

Also, there are many books I can't get where I live unless I import them, and shipping costs can be crazy - years ago I paid $130 shipping for $30 books

edgy

*snickers*

>Effectively there is a massive difference.
yes, quite the argument indeed

All of your so-called "arguments" basically boiled down to "nuh-uh! that's not true!" You're pathetic. I really hope this is some elaborate trolling.

Don't bother, he's just going to reply to every post with "(You)" AKA "I'm out of arguments but I'm a very shallow person so I want to get the last reply and feel like I've won."

hypocritical samefag

Assuming you would have the convenience of a lamp.

Books. To quote the famous scholar Matthew M " I just like the way it feels "

You can just turn airplane mode off.

This. The Internet connection is for buying books and improving your vocabulary, little else.

the problem with e readers is that they are slow as fuck

>tap or swipe the screen
>page turns
That's all you need.

I buy a Kindle for every ebook I download

>paperback

Books. I prefer the feel and look of books. I never use the internet to pay for stuff. I love going to bookstores. I've had some good dates in bookstores. I like libraries. I love how my place looks with books all over. I can resell or donate books. Antique books have character. I'm shallow so I like to show others what I read. I associate e-readers with STEM gaylords and genre-fiction.

So yes, books.

ebook, displayed on a number of ereaders, one ereader per ebook page, the ereaders bound together into a gigantic physical book with an old book cover
best of both worlds
you get that book smell
and you can search for words you don't know

> Pretends to read books to show off
> Calls other 'gaylords'
Mmm-kay.

Still waiting on my GODDAMN $50 KOBO GLO

>that smell of a new book
>that smell of an old book
>reading in the bath
>big brother can't delete it off my bookshelf

Going to go with books

This. 410 ereaders and you have the Library of Babel

What? No. You don't change the pages that are displayed.
You need to make a physical book for each volume, which would be fine

I could spend some money per book and then wait a week or 2 for delivery or I could download 20 for free right now.

I prefer books because otherwise Im not going to read it if I download it
> also collecting is fun

Ebooks because I love reading and read a lot. Fine books because I love books as objects.

You can actually read and show off at the same time. Showing off takes no effort. It's literally just not using a device I don't like anyway. Holding a book in my hand. I'm such a tryhard.

>hurr durr why does he care what others think about him
>fucking normies amiright I'm such a neet toppest mckek elkekkerino kekking kek

Books of course. Although I've moved a few times and it's a pain in the ass moving books. They are very heavy and take up a lot of space.

I used to print papers to read, but now I mostly read them as .pdfs on my computer. I prefer reading a hard copy, but it's a waste of paper and I'd rather have a .pdf versus reprint library.