The Elder Scrolls as literature

So I'm spending my Saturday evening drinking a few cheap brews and poring over ancient manuscripts. There's quite a bit of substance to the metaphysics of these games, drawn from the most obscure thinkers of Late Antiquity and Early Middle Ages. Where my loremasters at?

Name some books that can compare for nuance and subtlety of composition in metaphysics.

Why would you waste time doing this?

praise sithis

For my own entertainment. I've been contemplating the mysteries of the Aurbis for a decade at least, never examined this section of lore this way. Also I like to imagine I know the circumstances of the next game before it begins. "Time is a flat circle" and all that.

That's some high powered autism.

Where is the animus or anima?

Pathetic lorelet. Come back when you can interpret the Magne-Ge Pantheon.

Not present, of both present. Unmarked. I only posted that pic because of its similarity to Mundus. Lorkhan & et'Ada are ego (Creation), Shadow is the Daedra, Self is a Sithis-shaped hole where Magnus used to be.

I did give up on that one. Too obscure and self-referential, didnt recognize any historical mysticism to compare it to for clues.

I think you should use your autism powers for something more productive.

>he doesn't know that Sithis is just a prank by Mephala

Bump dis shit on up there. Elder scrolls lore and literature is what inspired me to start reading irl literature. Shit's lit.

What in your opinion are some of the best Elder Scrolls books or works ?

>Spending hours learning genre fiction lore that has no application in any and every dimension outside of its own sphere, which is also useless

The secret Tower within the Tower is the shape of the only name of God, I

Can't have an Elder Scrolls thread without mentioning the Lusty Argonian Maid.

We get it, you are an extremely boring person.

>not finding my particular kind of autistic timewasting fascinating
>boring person
You must be over 18 years of age to post on this website.

Basically what philosophy is desu (except when it comes to ethics)

>implying the tribunal aren't pranks by sithis

How are your attempts of getting a gf by impressing chicks with your vast knowledge of TES lore working so far?

I am not that user, I am OP. I've had several gfs, last one a qt and we were serious. I dumped her so I could play Skyrim on weekends. I can do 60 pushup in a row, breathe through my elbows, and I've read more philosophy than you have. The only autism in this thread is you, friend.

It's all good, except moat ESO books. I tend toward the sideways godtalk: Five Songs, Song of Pelinal, Remanada, 36 Lessons. Or anything by Uncle Ken.

It's like biblical exegesis but less boring.

>not finding my particular kind of autistic timewasting fascinating
>He's on a literature board

>he read more philosophy than an average Veeky Forums-poster
Wow that's nothing.

>he doesn't seek enlightenment by meditating on the 36 Lessons of Vivec daily

Every philosopher worth studying had a substantial impact on the zeitgiest of their era, or at the very least, had an influence on later philosophers, unlike genre fiction writers.

We get it. Not only are you an extremely boring person, but when you are called out on being boring you fall back on canned retorts like "Underage!" and "Virgin!" as a defense mechanism. I predict your next attempt at limp-dicked banter will entail either cuckoldry or politics.

I firmly believe that pure worldbuilding starts to lose its appeal when you're exposed to enough literature. I used to enjoy reading things like the Silmarillion, but even better would be if you could infer all that from reading something substantial rather than infodumps.

With Elder Scrolls in specific Kirkbride strikes me as someone who has many ideas and none of the skill required to put them to work. Nothing he has done makes me think he has any ambition or the natural inclination to surpass someone like, say, Brandon Sanderson. Even that would require him to make something that WASN'T wanking over his vision of the background of a series of fantasy videogames he doesn't even work on anymore.

"Lore" in general is something every other D&D DM can do decently. Give me a story, not the pitch for one.

I think the problem is the Lore really doesn't connect much to the world.

Case in point: I had a friend who liked to troll elder scrolls nerds and his favorite technique was to advocate atheism for the universe and say all the Gods are and religion are made up. Which is actually fairly easy to argue since that stuff doesn't exist in the game world. One of the nerds retorted that there are Dadrics in the world to which my troll friend says," Only they exist. The good Gods are a myth, there's only hell"

Your friend is more correct than he may know. Creation -- that is, all the worlds doomed to repeat forever because of Lorkhan's sacrifice/trick -- is only a mortal cage. Lorkhan is not god, nor are the et'Ada (Divines) that he tricked. It's a Gnostic parable, of course, but it's also a master's class in worldbuilding imo. The reader has a purpose, and that purpose is to make the original sacrifice not have been in vain. In my view its an exhortation to be a Clever Man oneself, to love and cherish the world for what it is. Which is what we are doing now.

>infer all that from reading something substantial rather than infodumps.

I agree with you, but infodumps are a TES staple and the dialogue of the games has not caught up to where it could be (I'm thinking longer exposition/conversations a la Mass Effect). I'll admit The Five Songs of King Wulfharth is too straightforward. The author himself has stated its his least favorite. But that's also part of its charm. It reads almost like a design document and makes no fucking sense unless you've already figured out some of the Lorkhan riddle.

>Give me a story, not the pitch for one.
Story is what the games provide. The lore is what gives the games mythical stakes, and makes them so much more interesting to play. Anyone can play D&D and follow the narrative (we have to kill the lich!) because its all given to you and narrative is generally accepted at face value. That's boring.

>Anyone can play D&D and follow the narrative (we have to kill the lich!) because its all given to you
You have a shitty DM.

I'm only considering the bare source material, as the other user is doing.

Skyrim was such a shit game that it puts me off from ever attempting to play any other tes.

>extremely boring person
Reading classic literature is much more likely to make you a well-rounded person, than playing Skyrim in your parents' basement or writing erotic fan fiction.

>being well-rounded
>bragging on Veeky Forums
Er, no

>Art is good because utilitarian reasons
Unironically kill yourself