Tfw 200 pages in

>tfw 200 pages in
>tfw completely enthralled with and in love with every word so far

Any books that made you feel like this?

Iliad.

>he thinks he'll ever experience the comfyness of a fresh cover to cover LOTR read ever again
how innocent
smith of wootton major is pretty good too

every sentence i read by beckett.

my man

I read it as a child and feel I didn't truly appreciate it. My recent reading of the Silmarillion gave me a similar feeling to OP.

Is it too late for me to get this feeling from LotR again?

can i interest you in a recommendation for a book on geology and the study of rocks and plants?

The prose isn't even good though and there are way too many bland descriptions of the environment, which partially become bland because of their quantity

It's a book that's remarkably different on another reading as you get older, so you're not quite right.

No, it should make a /comfy/ winter reading. Give it a shot, user!

Dorian Gray

There are some long sections of Lord of the Rings that seem unnecessarily slow, but some of the imagery that Tolkien evokes makes it all worth it.

I remember first reading about the throne of Gondor and getting chills at how awesome it was. He really crafted a beautiful and complex world

>muh bland imagery argument
Good God, you might as well not read any high fantasy; or sci-fi adventure for that matter

shoot

That book makes me look forward to Alzheimer's, so that I can read it fresh over and over.

300 pages in this edition, yet it feels like an entire lifetime has passed. It's interesting how Death on Credit seems to have the opposite effect, where Ferdinand's youth seems to drag on forever in a hellish bildungsroman, with themes of inertia and decay and all

If I’m ever asked to provide a book blurb I’m stealing this.

henryk sienkiewicz's with fire and sword.

hamlet

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse.
Bought the book after reading an ebook. Though it's translated, I loved every single sentence, every part of the story, the divine culmination. It was beautiful and an experience I would love to have again - hence, I bought the novel.

This, except King Lear instead

Unironically Lolita. I loved traveling vicariously and always trying to disect what was really happening through Humbert's warped view of the world. I would really love it if anyone could recommend similar books. Basically I loved the realistic world that the author was obviously familiar with, but with the author putting the significant spin of showing through the eyes of someone very different from themselves. I loved The Stranger as well.

I've actually just started reading Lolita and I have to pause every few paragraphs to look up a french word or some reference that I'm unfamiliar with.
Am I pleb?

Maybe but that's exactly how I was reading it though the first time and now it's one of my favorite books. Like I said it wasn't even about the language for me although I have come to appreciate it greatly, it was more for the way the characters are presented it's a puzzle for the reader the whole way though with pretty cool advwntures to back it up.

If you love LOTR, The Chronicles Of Amber is a must read.

>it's not good because I say so!
wow...

Does anyone get that feeling when they finish a g read they get buzzed for a day or two after. Finishing a great book that you had good comprehension of and was intellectually satisfying is one of my favourite life feelings.

I often re read certain chapters or the whole book in cases like that, it feels terrific.

One of the rare instances where the movie is better than the book

Kill yourself. Just because you're a 12 year old who wants """action""" and fights, doesn't mean that the movies are better, faggot. They have god-tier soundtracks, though.

The Confusions of Young Torless
shattering. dusty humid warmth under a blanket in the peak chill of winter. words that breathe full air. not quite fragrant, but visceral.

Finishing a good novel is undoubtedly one of the most joyous experiences one gets. It's better than a weekend orgy and as a filthy degenerate I've done both and will take finishing a good book over the orgy any day of the week.

I am sad though that I'm very fucking particular on what type of books I enjoy.

2/10, try harder next time. The movies aren't awful (when you compare them to the hobbit films you see we got off comparatively lucky with "he fell" and the loss of Bombadil), and they have some very well-done moments (the opening shire scenes are perfect), but nothing to the books.

I'm dead serious, I think that both The Hobbit and The Silmarillion are leagues above The Lord of the Rings. The movies are pure fucking kino (I don't care much about the action, everything in them falls into place and everything there is for a reason) and the books are riddled with unimportant and emotionless characters. Tolkien did describe scenery in a beautiful way but sometimes (not very often to be fair) he simply overdid it. And not putting Tom Bombadill in the movies was pretty much the best choice about the whole franchise. Fight me.

Rereading now, just to clarify:
The Silmarillion > The Hobbit (book) > LotR (movies) > LotR (books) > The Hobbit (movies)

>no Tom Bombadilarino
D
R
O
P
P
E
D

>tfw completely enthralled with and in love with every word so far
This was me at 12, but with the real world instead of lotr.
I wish I could go back.

>And not putting Tom Bombadill in the movies was pretty much the best choice about the whole franchise. Fight me.
I would rather fight with a stray dog's carcass than lay my hands on a piece of trash like you.

Unironically.

I agree with you on the Silmarillion and the Hobbit but the movies are fucking trash

>an entire thread of retards circlejerking about trash tier lit, with the occasional pseud chiming in about a good author they don't understand

Don't forget to link your Reddit accounts to get the upboats and karma you deserve

Yep. I'm still thinking about it months later.

> a group of people enjoying discussing a book series they enjoy
>some psued litsperg stops by to tell them grrr stop liking things i don't >:(

>Le everything is subjective xD so my taste for feces is immune to criticism

>I would rather fight with a stray dog's carcass
>fight with a carcass
Presumably because that's the only fight you could ever win?

ah yes, liking LOTR = eating shit
nice try, psued.

lol cringy neckbeard comment

the movies are great, but the books are amazing and more

I hated how Tolkien divided The Two Towers and Return of the King into being about Aragorn/Gimli/Legolas/Gandalf and Merry/Pippin for Book I, and just Frodo/Sam/Gollum for Book II. All of the actual story happens in the first half, and then the pacing is fucked completely for the rest of the book where it's just the three of them walking endlessly. And the timelines are all fucked up too.
>mfw reading Return of the King for the first time
>Battle of the Black Gate intense as fuck
>ultimate pottery with Pippin looking up and seeing the eagles arrive just like Bilbo in The Hobbit
>the chapter ends there
>turn the page
>"Book II"
>mfw I have to read 100 more pages of Frodo and Sam walking to get back to the conclusion only for it to happen off-screen

the biggest thing the movies did better than the books was pacing. And by improving the climaxes of each book, especially Fellowship where you don't even know Boromir dies until the beginning of The Two Towers and it's like wait what

Yes. And because you're dirty.

kinda have to agree with you although in the return it kinda worked as they first showed where frodo's clothes ended up and then the fate of frodo

yes it is, and even if it wasn't, most of the posters in this thread would prefer to sprinkle the shit on as they read lotr. just look at these retards

secondly
100%, homegrown, cornfed shit

this board needs to be deleted