/language/

>He only speaks one language
>That language is American English
Discuss your language learning and resources here.

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s0Nr2kEyaKu5
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Any gamefied kind of app like duolingo for learning Ancient Greek?

>Born in Finland to swiss father and estonian mother
>Learn estonian from mother, french from father and finnish in kindergarten
>Compulsory english at 4th grade
>Compulsory swedish at 7th grade
>Take german courses at 8th grade, start speaking with father in german and learn swiss german
>High school, start taking russian classes and mother helps with her soviet knowledge
>Spend second year in Italy, learn italian pretty quickly
>tfw fluent in estonian, french, finnish, english, swedish, german, russian and italian
>tfw can read literally all european literature worth reading
How can tonguelets even compete?

>tfw born in Switzerland to Swiss mother and Swiss father
>moved to Ireland by sociopath aged 2
>grow up learning English
>compulsory Irish and French which have since forgotten all knowledge of
>move back to Switzerland with zero knowledge of German in 20s
>currently only fluent in English and Swiss German (the most infantile of languages)
>learning German and Russian now
>hopes of eventually also becoming fluent in Italian and French

>know Romanian,English, French, Russian, Spanish
>Took Hebrew for a meme and actually kinda like it

What does Veeky Forums think of Japanese? I'm not even into anime but the language itself seems fluid and nice.

>not spanish
pleb detected

>replying to pasta
Bad frog.

it's not a pasta, I just wrote it

I don't think it was pasta, most Swiss men are losers who marry foreign women.

I took German all through high school and college. I keep up with it by listening to some podcasts, and occasionally reading German Veeky Forums.

I taught myself some Italian with grammar books, duolingo and flash cards. Good enough to read the news, though my accent is shit. I can struggle through literature, but don't know many authors.

I completed a bunch of other duolingo courses just for fun, but I'm not really fluent in any of them.

I've made it halfway through Oreberg's Lingua Latina per se Illustrata, supplementing with reading from the Vulgate.

I'm not very focused.

I'm fairly sure I saw that pasta or a close variation in winter or spring. Try harder.

>only fluent in Swiss German
At least you can be a comedic blast at parties with Germans.

I've been smugposting my story on /int/ and on Veeky Forums before, but I always write it from scratch

I've been reading poetry books with the original side to side to the translation. I'm reading Rimbaud's ouvre right now and I feel it's getting easier to understand french as I plough through (I already had rudimentary knowledge though)

Don't rub it in, I know how hamstringed the language is. It's pretty much a language for children and old people who have nothing interesting to say. Even the proper German they teach in Swiss schools is regarded as infantile by actual Germans. Fuck this country.

Why don’t you know Spanish

>learn English naturally
>Finnish mother taught me finnish but I can't read it and it's slowly fading with the years
>mandatory Irish and French like
>tried to learn nip twice for mango and failed
>no real aspirations to learn another language cause all the good stuff is translated

if your fluent in italian and french you can read spanish

we speak spanish too

Horrible writing system don't learn it

plenty of untranslated German and Russian literature. You owe it to yourself to not be a onelanguagelet

I would definitely "exchange" my knowledge of Russian for knowledge of American English tho...

Already said I wasn't you heckin nerd

>"knows" 8 languages
>all he does with it is smugposting in English
Oh the ironing.

>being this retarded
English is babby tier easy. Russian is more or less unmasterable by non-natives.

>knows English
>fading knowledge of Finnish, forgotten knowledge of Irish and French, failure to learn Japanese
You only know one language.

That is what Veeky Forums is about tho

t. amerimutt
Oh, yes, you know better.

>being a mental midget
>insulting your intellectual superiors
Ha хapкaч, дeбилoтa.

>says that English is easier than Russian
>does not even understand that learning a language from another group is equally difficult for any native speaker

Almost knowing 3 other languages is better than knowing just one language. And finnish is good enough for conversation level. Good enough for me anyway don't really care about it.

>wow everything is like relative man so everything is like equally easy and equally difficult and you like can't pass value judgments at all

Nono, suomi on kaunis kieli. Ootko harrastanut mitään suomalaista kirjallisuutta vai ihan vaan keskustellut äidin kanssa?
Ja mistäpäin se on? Puhuuko siun äiti jollakin murteella?

w̵͚̣̫ͨ͑̔̍͛̽͐͗t͓͔̖̳̾̔̕͡f̵̹̊̑̕ͅ ̜̤̦̗͙̥͈̝̬͒̀͢ị͙̰̠̮̠̻̈ͦ̑̾̋͒̚ ̶̟͓̝͎͙̈́̎͗̄̉̃͋̏̔̕ǰ͇ͣ̓͒̉̀ư̗̱̹͓͉̻͇̱ͭ̏̄ͅş̸̻̰̺̳̱̌͒̆̂̔ͧͅt̺͇̬͔̟̻ͬͨ ̬͔͚̩̝̝͔ͯ͊ͩ̀́́r̵͎̳̊ͬ̾̒̇͢ȩ͔̞̞̭̯͎̌̎͆ͯͫ̀̚͞a̵̷͓̜͇̭ͯͤ̃ͫ̈́͞d̡̙̝̻͙̫̳͊̉͆ͨ̂̎ͮ͠ ͔̣͉͔ͨt͖̥̜̗̫̎ͧ̔͛̉͂̃ͮ̿h̸̷̟̀̋̾̊ͣͬ̏̎ͦ͘į̬̭̥͖͍̙̣̬͙ͫ͑s̵̺̳̳̟ͯ́ͭ̆̇ͭͫ͝ͅ ͙͍͉̼̰͂̎̽͗̈́ͯ̚o̜͇͚̜̣̟ͪͬ̈͞ư̭̤̟͙̭͌ṫ͔̣̾ͦ ͈̺̦̞͇̤̫̔̄͛̎̍̆ͅl̫̥̣͉̞̣̫̠̾̊͛̓̀͠͝o̝͔̣̤̮̻̤̒̆̀͋̕͝u̦̼̖̠̗̘ͣ̆̔̇͊͋̏ͣd̴̩̱̩͔̭͇̤̤́̿̒̽̐̉̓̇͜ ̣̒ͩ̑̕͜a͇̳ͨ͆̿ͣ̏͘͢ͅn̶͚͓͈̜̆ͬ̿́̎ͧ̚d̴̹̣̯̮̏ ̶̶̢̪͎̻ͤ͑n̥̬͓͙̘͍̩̓͒̈̽ͩͅo̖͈̭̫̯͓͎ͦ͌̂̏̚͜w̜̮̰̑̂̚ ̢̯̝̪̺̈́͂ͅa͙͉͂͆͘͜ĺ̰͈̼͔̺͙̟ͯͪ̀͟l̙̭̣͕̪̈ͬ̆̔͢ ̶̨̠̫̉̒m̜̟̝̰͖̮͊ͪ̾͆̃́́͞y̴̢̥̗̥̹͉͎̯̔̑ͅ ̴̬̫͓͕̮̇̽͂͝t͚̞̗͖̐͐̑ͭ̀͌ͧ̓͟ͅe̮̺̠͙̞̤̥͙ͬ̉̎͜x̧̯͖̙͕̳͉ͫ͑̍ͧ͝ț̐̀ͨ͂͘ ͔̟̰͚͇ͭ̐͢ȋ̢̹̼̜̊ͧ̒͆͒̌ͮͦ̀͝s̖̹̮͐ ̴̧̝͈̘̞̱̟̘̌ͤ͜l̬̩̙̳͕͇̟ͫ͗́̑̏̀̔͐͒͟i̩͙͎͓͔ͨ̓ͫ̊k̶̳̼̝̘͛̏ͪ͂ẻ̙̬̘̫ͦ͑ͪ͐̋̿͟ ̳̬ͪ͐͆́́ͩͯ̄t͖̩̦͋̒ͯ̐h̷̵̛̭ͦ̌ͤ͆̀̿͆̚i̭̜͉̯̖̘̭̽͐͂̏s͓̠̠̪̳͎͉͖̐ͭͣ̇̾

vocaroo.com/i/s0Nr2kEyaKu5
Post your attempt

W̡̠̻̭̝͇̤̫͚̜̝̮̪̠̻̗̮̓̉ͬͬ̄̔̒̋͊́̀̋ͯ̊̂ͪ̽̿͆͘T̵̢̡̻͖͍̬̟̱͓̝̘̗͖̠̙͔ͪ̋ͬ͆ͪ̒̚͠F̶̢̼̜͕̪̜̺̼̺̞̖͚̭̣͇̭͆̌̌̌̽ͧ͢ͅͅ ̵͚̦͕͚̙̠̗̣̪̰̱̫͙̪̓ͦͮ̽̃̍ͭ͐̔͂ͮ̆͂ͭͫͩ̐̚̚̕͝ͅḮ̞͉͉̦̯̱̳̮̞͗̆̉́̇͋͢ ̵̸̫̳̳̗̙͎͆͒̑̈́̃̔ͬ̎̏ͫͅḺ̤̝̥̟̰̩̯̖̈́͗͒̇̾ͯͮ̾ͣ̔̓̇͗̈́I̴̧̛͖͙̠͕̜̯̞͙̻̯̝̖̪͐̄̈́́ͨ̌ͦͣ̋̀͠S̵̨̧̝̜̳̯͉̠̞̥͈̺͎͈̻̜̻͑͗̈̉̋̀͗ͬ̌͠Ṱ̵̡̰̦̮͈̫̜̩̻̠̜́̍́͋͊̏̽ͦ͡Ĕ̢̻̠̺͎͙̦͖̼́̈̑̎͐̍͗͑̇ͤͧ͘͝N̮͙̭̤̩̭̻̩̖̩̂͊ͫ̏̈̑̄͋̕͢E̦̼̠̠͎̠͙̜͗ͤͤͯͬ̽̔̌̆̀̕͡D̡͚̰̫͉͓̖͕̹͇̒̽̍̋͋̀̈̈́ͧͩ͐͐̚͘͞ ̨͕͔͈͔̯͖͉̗̦͓̙͎̞̦̀ͧ̐̓͗ͫ̒͂ͪ́̚T̛̝̖̱̟̘̻̦̄ͪ̈́̄͗̈́ͪ̑͐͋̂͆͌̓͢O̶̧͕͓̱̱̭̻̙̗̥͍̞̟͎͕̖̯͚ͨ̇͋̓ͬͬ̐̎͋̓͋͊̿̓̋ͣ̒̊̀͠ͅ ̴͈̗̻̖̥̍́ͪ̔͗̿̄̃̇͢͢͠Ṭ̺̝̟̻͖̪͓̩͓̫̺̱͈̥͍͇͆͑̿ͯͩ̉̋ͭͭ͊̓̆̒ͬ͆̒͢͞H̴̝͍̺̖̫̩̮̱ͫ͊̔̋̚͜͞ͅI̸̷͖̣̣̔ͫ̾̈͆ͫ̾̿̕̕S̢̢̬̤̫̭͓̫̜̖̔͌̏̇̋̒̑̈́ͫ̎̈̇ͭ̚͘͘ ̵̵̙̱̠͙̝̟͙̪̥̙͓ͭͪ̆̀ͧ̑ͫ̈̉͆͆̐̎̊͢ͅÁ̬̞̤̺̆ͩ͘͟͟͢N̶͍̙͔̞͙͈̘͉͇̜̥̪͔̞̾̃͋̕Ḓ̸̡̹͚̯̪̼̟̼̞͛͛͑̏͑͑͞͝ ̵̸̨̺̙̖̳͍͇͈̝̺͖̭͈̥͇̖ͦ͛̂ͤ̇ͨ̊̋ͪͭ̏Ņ̶̡̞̖̤̮̺̄ͯ̄ͤ̍͊͋̀O̩̺̫͙̜͔̳̘̺̭͖ͮ̂͌ͫ̎̿ͭ̀ͨ̇͛̚͘͜͜W̡͓͚̬̙̞̍͑̿̆̒̓̓͝ ̶̡̢̹͍̺͉͍̤͇͈̞̘͊̈͒̍̓ͯ̈́̂̎͋͘͢I̱̤̘͔͍̥̘̼͍ͮͮͤ̂ͤ̽̈́͌̉ͫ̂ͬ͆̊͋̀ͪͫ͡ ̵̢̛̬͕͍͇̙̩͎͉ͩ̉̇ͮ͛̽̚̕͢C̣̤̰͇̹͓̺͉̯̽̋̒̆͌̿͊ͪͩÁ̧̢̼̝̦͖̬͚̘̱̦̱̯͍͔̥͇̓ͯ̏̄̍ͧͯ͂̂͊͘͘͡N̨̞̜͎͉̝͎͕̦̟̦̬͇͋̎ͦ͑̂̕͠Ṱ̸͇̱̪͔̤̣̟͇͍̫͎͐̄͗̂ͤͭ̆̋̄̾̚͠ ̢̥͙̼̗̠̪̹͕̣͖̜̯ͦ͊ͬͣͣ̄ͪ̄̌̓̈́̍̑͊͒̆̀̕S̵̗̝̱̥̼̦̼̤͓̩ͪ̓ͤ̐ͦ̈͐̾Ĕ̵̷̮̰̯̠̤̭͓͉͕̪͚̭͕ͩ͊̋̚̕͝Ę̴̧̰̳̱͓̘̤̳̞̭͇̘̜͓͎̯͆́̾̈́̌ͨ͋ͯ̀͂͋̽ͭ̈̀̚͝

Of course it's masterable, there is just no point to master it. Would exchange Russian for Sapnish or Mandarin.

I've been using Anki to brush up on my Latin and pick up where I left on Attic Greek. My primary texts are Wheelock for Latin and Mastronarde for Attic Greek.

It's unmasterable in the same amount of time it would take an Indo-European native to master one of the Romance or Germanic languages.
>no point
One of the greatest literary traditions in the world.
>Spanish
Easy, doesn't need "exchanging".
>Mandarin
Pointless hipster garbage.

That MEGA link doesn't work.

writing system is great!!!
more fun than chinese, but with the same depth
out of the five i study, its my favorite one

My dream is to learn both French and German to compliment my native English.

French is such a pain though, and the Latin words are difficult to get used to. I find myself taking to German much faster even though I grew up learning French in school.

>I've been reading poetry books with the original side to side to the translation

where to cop?

>native english
>can do passable spanish
>fluent portuguese through my dad

I recommend this book

>tongueposting in French
please, don't embarrass other languages

Cпacибo!

Is the one for German good too?

I actually just got a copy yesterday, although it's the second edition. I like it so far. In reviews there are people saying it contains errors but I can't comment on this. The book states it takes between 80-120 hours to finish it so even if I read 2 hours a day it could take 2 months to finish. Was surprised to see passages from Mein Kampf in there.

I'm debating between learning French and German now. Both departments at my uni have fantastic faculty. Anyone have a suggestion as to which I should go for? I already know English and have some pretty good Latin experience

>mein kampf

so it's redpilled? I'm sold.

This.

They seem quite expensive (at least on Book Depo. $75+ AUD)... Suggestions for less pricey ones?

Any chance to learn French without a teacher? I'm thinking about studying basic grammar and then translating Exupery, Camus and maybe Celine for practice.
Is it possible to achieve conversational level or no?

I already speak English, shitty Dutch, and I can understand German, although I can't use it on my own. I've learned all these on my own but I'm not sure if I can do it again with French because of the pronunciation.

.t hunfag

I'm Finnish and I can barely speak Finnish anymore.

I bit the bullet and bought one new for $50USD. I was told this is a normal price for a new textbook and used ones didn't exist on abebooks.

there is one quite cheap on b-ok.org

00usd

phenomenology - Hegel
death of tragedy - Nietzsche
aphorisms - Novalis

It is relative from what languages you already know. Russian is harder for an English speaker than French because the speaker only knows English. The difficulty of languages being relative is linguistics 101.

>because of the pronunciation
If that's the only reasons why you don't want to do it alone don't worry. French pronunciation is a piece of piss. The only tricky thing about it is the French r. Once you practice it for a little bit you will have it. The rest of it is just getting used to the vowel sounds and knowing the silent letters and liaisons. It's only slightly harder than German for pronunciation.

Wow, it's almost like that was the point of the post you replied to, cretin.

How difficult are they? I'm planning on trying to learn them for fun when I'm finished learning Arabic.

So you shitposted a guy you agreed with in a sarcastic tone making it look like you were the Russian elitist he was arguing again because?

>he still can't grasp a 4 post interaction
>feels confident he needs to engage
How is it like being this retarded?

>brb wishing that was me
t. bilingual native in Russian.

Hello.
Quick question about English writing. English is not my first language so I have a question.
Are these sentences in descriptive writing correct or wrong?
>"The house was cleaner, the counters washed, and the shelves dusted."
and
>"The woman was happy, a smile on her face."
>"The woman came strutting in, a twinkle in her eye."

>are these sentences grammatically correct
yes
>will they win a prize for literately writing
no

Well, if you're able to learn Arabic, then they shouldn't be too hard compared to Arabic. I find Latin very easy while Greek gives me a headache after awhile. Latin is definitely much easier if English or a Romance language is your native tongue. Greek isn't as closely related to other European languages and has only given us a few words for technical subjects such as theology or medical science.

>Grow up speaking French
>Learn English because the rest of the country speaks it
>Tfw you can read in the only 2 languages worth reading in.

What about Russian and German?
>inb4 only works worth reading have been all been translated meme

russian.. german.. latin.. japanese..

Japanese is inaccessible to non natives. The only people autistic enough to devote the years required to read Japanese are weebs who do it for their manga and hentai. Do you seriously think those types of people would pick up the equivalent of Ulysses?

noice

im mexican, know english, spanish, and im taking chinese classes.

Do Mexicans not have their own language?

It has a shit-ton belonging to indigenous tribes. They officially recognize some 68 of them.

pycкий язык oчeнь тpyднo я знaю пeчeмy чтo я aмepeкeнeц

I only wrote them up very quickly to see if the concept was grammatically correct.
Thank you.

so... which is it?

you're doing good user, keep it up

Cпacибo тeбe бoг, чтo я pyccкий.

>Live in fuckhuge country that only speaks english
>needing to speak anything else

Do europoors not realise how big the USA and Australia actually are? Larger than Europe and everyone there speaks English.

Gee, I wonder why everyone only speaks English there?

>he thinks learning a foreign language is solely about back-and-forth communication with foreigners
>not about culture
>not about a different way of thinking
>not about a different way to use language
>it's about the ability to order a BigMac

Yanks are truly plebs.

stop bothering with burgers, everytime is the same thing: miserably trying to justify their lazyness and lack of will to do such a thing as learn a new language.

There is literally no reason an American should learn a foreign language.
t. European

Is it still worth learning ancient Greek and Latin? I mean the majority of the important works are already translated into English so why bother.

german writers worth reading?

Really?

yes really, but i was thinking more in terms of a top 10

i value Veeky Forums's taste in books

>inb4 stirner

What are the best resources (textbooks, online tutorials, whatever) for learning Mandarin Chinese? preferably something that uses traditional characters, not simplified. Does Mandarin have an equivalent of what Japanese has with the Genki textbooks?

Tы гoмyнкyл

Hesse

Nah, but it takes less than a month

Does anyone have experience learning Italian?

Goethe, Schiller, Hesse, Thomas Mann and Das Nibelungenlied.

Пиздишь вeдь, oй пиздишь.