What are your thoughts on the Bhagavad Gita or the Vedas? Are they worth a read?

What are your thoughts on the Bhagavad Gita or the Vedas? Are they worth a read?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caste_system_in_India
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They are very intelligent and capable works written by heathens. They are edifying in the way that the Classics are. However, Hinduism is a dangerous religion. Tread carefully as you read them.

If you want to get a feel for the remnants of early Aryan paganism, sure.

What's so dangerous about Hinduism? Let me guess you're an Abrahamist right?

Yes.

both good reads
read the Ramayana and Mahabharata too

Reminder that Abrahamic religion is reddit and Vedic religion is Veeky Forums

Yes

What if I'm having trouble understanding the Rigveda? Does this mean I'm dumb

Vedas are immensely obscure and difficult in Sanskrit. Literally untranslatable. Requires a great amount of study to understand the symbolism behind the language, so much so that much of modern Hinduism is completely obscured and misrepresentational of the original religion. and almost all translations to english are a spit in the face of the orignal text to make Hinduism seem inferior to Christianity during imperialism.

The Upanishads are much more clear and direct in ancient Hindu spiritual philosophy. Much more easily translatable, do some research and look for a good one. a good read.

Would you say that the original Vedic religion is the true path, the correct religion?

I am becoming increasingly dissatisfied with Abrahamic religion of any kind. I'm starting to see that it was a bad idea from the beginning.

>and Vedic religion is Veeky Forums
If by that you mean "bottom-tier sophomoric idiocy by people who attend adult kindergarten studying ''English'' and yet never read literature", then you're right on track with that comparison.

I couldn't possibly tell you what the absolute original vedic religion is, I don't have a great understanding of the rest of the vedas and through the vedas have emerged many many interpretations, probably even more than the bible. Not only that, but who knows if the Vedas themselves are the original beliefs of the Indo-Iranian peoples. So much is lost through time when you are dealing with such an ancient religion.

I can say that the similar ideals and perspectives on life in the religions circling off the vedas in contrast with Abrahamic religions are very interesting and beautiful. The Upanishads, or Vedanta, are really the most concrete and important portion of the Vedic tradition in my opinion.

I think if you explore the concepts of the Brahman, and the Atman, and the relationship between those two concepts you will have a better notion of what it's all about. It does not treat "God" like an imposing father figure, "God" is just as intertwined within the "Self" and the "Self" with "God". This establishes a closer relationship with our Reality, not as abstract consciousnesses behind two eyes totally severed from reality, but everything as the whole itself.

>he worships a backwater rabbi as god

Show me an example of Hinduism, or any non Abrahamic religion for that matter, doing remotely as much harm as Judaism or Christianity or Islam.

I'll wait.

Religiously-endorsed class oppression that is basically responsible for the enormous wealth disparity in the Hindu world today.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caste_system_in_India

If this is your strongest example, then thanks for proving my point for me.

This is nowhere close to the same level as Jewish globalism/zionism, Christian destruction of European paganism, Christian neocon wars in the middle east, or Islamic terrorism.

>implying Jewish globalism exists
>implying destruction of paganism wasn't a good thing
>implying the neo-cons are Christians and that they didn't just manipulate the Evangelicals to get into power
>implying Islamic terrorism isn't entirely politically motivated

Oh and I forgot Jewish Marxism and Bolshevism in all its forms, which has killed tens of millions of people.

But please tell me more about how dangerous the Vedas are.

>implying Jewish globalism exists
Ok now I know you're a shill.

You went too far with that one, Rabbi Goldberg. You need to learn subtlety.

I love the Gita and its depiction of the scope of things as they are and the method of maintaining your inner piece are some spot-on shit. And I love the writing. In the Edwin Arnold translation, anyway.

>actually caring about the welfare of the redundant and unclean masses of the lower castes
Why would anyone do this?

Because that's what Jesus would do ...

So you admit that your Jewish religion is literally Marxism.

As an OBC Hindu , I really want to beat your myopic Anglo ass . Its not a wealth disparity you goof , for god sake , we owned acres of land and had enough to raise a family of 10 . The caste system (which is a meme at this point ) isn't exclusive to us either , Eastern "religions"/traditions all employs it . It gave rise to the notion you guys call telos (a poor translation , but imo there's none that comes close) , and we call Dharma .

Don't drag Marx down to their level

Gita and what it speaks of is completely meaningless outside of it's context . I don't think you can possibly translate let alone understand it without belongings to the Hindu "way of life". And it's not just you with the Advent of western liberal democracy and "modernization",thus salarized workforce etc... We too have lost the context more or less.

I disagree completely. There are universal messages in there, on the importance of duty, work for work's sake, and finding bliss in one's self rather than in the outside world, the last bit ringing true to me because I already understood and partially subscribe to it. Yes, there is an immense context, and a finer, religious point, and a lot to do with upholding methods of control like the caste system, but I think it's totally realistic for somebody who knows nothing of Hinduism to read it and take something away, because I did.

Don't respond to him, he's an anglo

Are Anglos the Jews of white people

You're right that there's literally nothing wrong about Hinduism.

All major religions are bad in many ways. To blame the problems of religion is more to judge human nature, and it's stupidity. But there is real thought and wisdom behind many religions.

>tfw no Hindu gf to cremate herself alive with my corpse