Words You Thought Meant Other Words

I just learned that aloof meant: not friendly or forthcoming; cool and distant.

I always thought it meant: lighthearted, naive, airy, innocent, not a care in the world

So, basically the complete opposite.

What words have given you the Shocker?

Other urls found in this thread:

dle.rae.es/?id=5dC5eFT
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plebs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

when i was a kid I knew that drunk people had fun and books always had drunk people be melancholy so I thought being melancholy meant you were cheerful. I figured that out about age 12 though

this looks like the same artist who did the story with the holes in the mountains and the alien planet

I actually thought exactly the same as you. Interedasting.

Alien planet I'm not sure, but holes-in-mountain yes (Junji Ito)

huh i always thought aloof meant lazy

Weird. My reasoning is that aloof is a weightless sounding word, almost like poof, thus the descriptors I gave

Peruse.

To peruse is to read, or examine a document carefully and at length.

For some reason, I thought that a "frisson" was a very small amount of something, like a scintilla or an iota, for the longest time.

Bizarro in spanish means brave and not "bizarre" (weird or crazy).
How bizarre.

What did you think peruse was?

Something along the lines of scanned/skimmed.
Most of the time when people used the word peruse, they said it in relation to a text I was not very interested in.

I always thought eclectic meant jumbled and messy for some reason

Thought acquiesce was ascertain once.

>Bizarro in spanish means brave and not "bizarre" (weird or crazy).
That's not true, though.

Me too. What the hell?

Maybe he means Hellstar Remina?

those don't sound very distant. "not friendly" doesn't mean "unfriendly," it just means that the subject isn't going to come up to you out of the blue.

aloof specifically means UNfriendly, though. someone who is aloof is uninterested and avoidant.

I thought the word busticated meant something busted beyond repair. Turns out it's not a word most other people use, meaning it doesn't exist outside of maybe a few instances and deffinitly not in a dictionary, which sort of gave me the Satisfaction you speak of, no?

Also, nice pic. I feel like this with logic sometimes, except its my tongue and I'm gagging on the tip where the words are.

It is

I'm a native Spanish speaker. Check out any dictionary. The common definition is the same in both languages.

dle.rae.es/?id=5dC5eFT

Same. BERENSTEIN

Shit, this one got me too. Always thought it was the exact opposite. Must've been used sarcastically one too many times for me

Oh well, to be fair that definition is rather outdated desu. If you ask any Spanish-speaker today they'd go for the conventional anglophone definition.

I know, that's why i thought it meant the same both in english and spanish (i think in french too). Nontheless, it's the wrong definition and it will be wrong until the RAE change it (i hope they don't)

I thought lewd was online slang and not a real world.

i have had this experience with many words

I thought the same for pleb.
Still don't know the origin or meaning.

I thought infamous meant very famous.

I called many people infamous in high school essays and didn't realise my error until just before college when a teacher finally put a '?' on my paper.

I used to think 'peruse' meant casual, quick reading.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plebs

Same, till right now. 'Peruse' still sounds so casual, like browse or flit.

Copacetic: apparently it means excellent, in good working order. I'd always thought it implied a rapport between two people/objects, like a synergy.

Hmm, I did too, weird.....

It does, sort of.
>deriving ideas, style, or taste from a broad and diverse range of sources.
random and inconsistent is more to the point, but jumbled and messy works in a pinch.

It doesn't mean that in german, and my mother and I had an argument about it. I know what eclectic means though, because I'm fucking eclectic, MOM.

None that I can think of. Since I learned most of my words by either a) reading the dictionary, or b) context clues, I had meanings pretty much down, for the most part.

Except for nonplussed. I swear to fucking christ, I ended up hating to read the word nonplussed. I'm sorry, are you alarmed, or unimpressed? I can't tell, oh wait! I'll never even fucking know, because nonplussed is a fucking contronym. You asshole fucking author!

Nonplussed has a single definition. It's just lots of people use it incorrectly for some reason

Not a meaning but a pronunciation. I always thought "epitome" was pronounced like epi in EpiPen and Tome like a book.

Same here.

This one gets a lot of people. I've started to say "examine" because when you give them heavy annotations and they thought you'd glance over it, they feel mistakes were more glaring. Took me forever to work out they thought it meant something like glance.

I thought dialectic meant dialect you picked up from someone else in conversation. Like when you accidentally mimic someone's accent. It makes sense if you think about it, but I thought the philosophical meaning was obsolete and most people were talking about having a conversation drunk/with a foreign person.

American is literally - figuratively, that is - the greatest language.

When I was a kid I convinced myself, for a day or two, that I invented the word proverbial. In my head it meant useful, necessary, meant to be of use.

Concur - Be of the same opinion; agree.
I though it was the opposite

>he doesn't obsessively look up and note every new or unfamiliar word he encounters

Weird, I use the N. American definition and had no idea of the first one.

Thot static meant changing all the time, like the static on the tv.