GOETHE

ok this thread goes out to my germanic bretheren and those few Veeky Forumsers who could be considered cultured (anglo's need not apply)

Ok let's talk

Ease up on the drugs, OP.

>anti-anglo german autiste
>doesn't understand goethe
lol :) low life-form

Kleist is your weakness. Both Wilhelm Meisters are fantastic and Dichtung und Wahrheit is THE autobiography in German lit. Best book in German? Eckermann's Goethe according to Nietzsche and it's hard to disagree. And Eckermann's book is far more 'Goethe' than Boswell's Johnson is 'Johnson.'

already a thread about how awful he is on first page, check catalog for mel gibson pic

>anglo's need not apply
On the contrary, ONLY in the English language can the German spirit be understood English is the truth of German, much like Man is the truth of Animal.

the fact, that both Dichtung und Wahrheit & Eckermann (which I agree, is excellent but technically not even written by Goethe) are autobiographical kinda proves my point that Goethe is more hyped for his life/personna than his actuall work

ye, but this is about his work, not whining about what an awful person he (allegedly) was. I think Goethe was a pretty based guy, although he could've lost his edge when he started working as a minister.

But 'life/persona' 200 years after his death means next to nothing when compared to HIS WRITING which remains 100% intact. Of his 'persona' one can only guess, or form an opinion. My only point is that each reader should form his own opinion by reading the man himself. If your study is German literature, it would be ridiculously irresponsible not to. My favorite book by him is another autobiographical venture by the way, Italienische Reise, which simply breathes the spirit of those times.
Also, have (you) ever read Luther's Table Talk (Tischreden)? I wonder if the Bible folks even mention this. Much of it is crassly vulgar. This takes nothing away from his Bible, however.

itt autism

Yeah. Once it was a virtue, not a defect. Called 'application'. Pity the idiots who populate these inanest of times..

The man was a pop star in his time and embodies the "universal genius" archetype a lot of Germans favor (he was a competent lawman, politician and scientist on top of being a mastermind of both Strom and Stress AND Weimar Classicism).
One of his earlier novels actually made the melancholic German youth commit suicide in droves.

this thread proves once again that Veeky Forums doesn't actually read.
thesis; Goethe is mostly popular cus of his life/mythos, while his actually literary work is kinda mediocore
only substantial answers so far; "yea but read his autobiographies", "he was a popstar"
really makes you think
while it's true he was a huge factor in starting "storm and stress", most of the works we remember this period for are written by Schiller (Robbers, Don Carlos), while the stuff that Goethe wrote (Götz) didn't hold up nearly as well, for Weimar classicism both Herder, Wieland and even Winckelmann were as important, but they have kinda become historical footnotes

>"Ich liebe dich, mich reizt deine schöne Gestalt;
>Und bist du nicht willig, so brauch' ich Gewalt."

What did he mean by this?

Also Schiller is better.

>you fine af
>lemme grab that pussy

What a crass dumbing down. What do (you) want? Critical content? What (you) offer are your own subjective takes as well, brainlet.

I agree, especially that Faust is a masterpiece. It's hard to underrate Faust. However, if it wasn't for that, I don't think he would be remembered as well. You're right though, his other works don't seem as great. It's more of a cult of personality around him.

if it wasnt for his masterpiece he wouldnt be as great? Wow you are a genius...

this is the dumbest thread on lit right now, well done

you have such a feeble brainless argument and you didnt even have the decency to spell correctly

fuck off

>tfw my university library has no Goethe english translations
I hope The Master and Margarita is going to make sense

>Yeah. Once it was a virtue, not a defect. Called 'application'. Pity the idiots who populate these inanest of times..

allow me to elaborate

>Let me start off by saying, that Faust (I+II) is a masterpiece and one of the very few works I reread at least once a year. HOWEVER Goethe has to be the biggest m[yth/eme] in litarary history. Everything I hear is GOETHE, GOETHE, GOETHE. ffs can anyone tell me just why this guy is so fucking popular?!

You started this thread by raving about Faust with well deserved accolades and then immediately transition to asking why Goethe is popular. You answered your own question you dumbass, you fucking idiot. REEEEEEEE