Thoughts on my stack..?

Thoughts on my stack..?

These are books. You should read them instead of taking photos and shitting up my board, insufferable faggot.

Stop pretending to read books for attention.

How long will it take your to finish those?

Got these at the thrift store. Thrift store is usually shit but actually delivered for once.

No Longer Human, Woman in the Dunes and the Mishima book are all 10/10 I need to read more Japanese classical literature. I haven't read the others but I've got Magic Mountain somewhere in my room unread

Maybe a month? He could finish off the short ones in about two-three hours most.

>Maybe a month? He could finish off the short ones in about two-three hours most.
I hope you're joking. You didn't actually fall for the speed-reading meme did you?

>doesn't slow-read like an übermensch

I spend at least a week or two reading a 500 or 800 page novel.

That's not a good thing, retard.

The shorter ones, probably a week each. Magic Mountiain, probably a month.

Mourning diary is very short, like a couple of lines per page. But will obviously take time reading it, and maybe spread it out over a month.

Which one do you think I should read first?

>A Fan's Notes

BASED. Also qt Donna getting some love.

I usually start with the biggest

Juicy. Thrift store pulled through today on my end as well.

cringe

I sincerely hope you're joking.

im a super slow reader and could probably finish those in 2 months... i read IJ in 3 weeks. I am a neet though so i have a lot of free time

good bait

not that guy, but since when is tristram shandy considered cringe? i think its a top 3 English language novel

Falling man was so bad. lol

Ignore Magic Mountain. Proceed to Temple of the Golden Pavilion and No longer human which can both be easily read in less than a week.

Agreed. No Longer Human is great.

Agee. Abe, Barthes and Mann all GOAT. Haven't read the others, but all sound great. One of the better stacks I've seen.

Why are you bullying him?

Ty. Tbh, a lot of the books in it were recommend to me from people here.

>The Magic Mountain
Read Death In Venice first.
>No Longer Human
Is this worth the hype, anyone?
Good picks.

>No Longer Human, Woman in the Dunes and the Mishima book are all 10/10
What are they about?

>What are they about?
You're on the internet, retard. You can google it.

Any translations of Death in Venice you'd recommend?

>No Longer Human
Jap American Psycho

>Woman In The Dunes
Bug collector gets imprisoned in a sand village and has Kafkaesque existential experience.

>Mishima
Idk something about repressed homosexuality.

Is it me or does anyone else feel like Kobo Abe is in no way Kafkaesque and publishers just labeled him as that to sell to westerners? I know both he and Kafka are in the surrealist movement but I feel like it is wrong to label his books as that. Abe was after all about hell of the inner self and Kafka was about the hell of bureaucracy.

From the novels of Abe that I've read I wouldn't classify Abe as 'Japanese Kafka' but they do come from the same brand of surrealism if that makes sense. I think that a novel like Box Man could definitely have been a Kafka short story but on the whole there more existential viewpoints explored in their work are very different. Also Kafka can be really funny lol.

David Luke for DiV
John E. Woods for the rest of his work.

>I think its a top 3 English novel
It easily is, which just goes to show the lack of literary knowledge/merit possessed by people on this board. Falling Man is trash though.

Why do plebs always say Kafka is about bureaucracy? That's the most superficial way to read his work.

Because they are idiots unlike you

All trash except for Mann.

You seem like a sensitive person.

Loved Kokoro, easy and quick read but it's stayed with me ever since. I should probably read Woman in the Dunes since I enjoyed the adaptation.

Oh nice, I bought Justine, the first book in the Alexandria Quartet, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

good shit my bitch

How many pages a day do you read?

There was a giveaway at my uni library this morning, got all these for free, couldn't carry more. Especially happy about the Gaddis

looks pretty shit to be brutally honest with you

could someone explain to me why so many of these stack threads have photos taken sideways

is this because people aren't turning their phones or something

dammit I wish my uni library did giveaways like this

or maybe they did and they never advertised

fuck, i'd take all the good shit too, user

p.good stuff

What looks shit? I mean, it was free and they're all in rather excellent condition. I don't need all of them, sure but it was worthwile if only for the Gaddis, the Quincey, some of the essays
They probably do, mine does it every year to get rid of the stuff they have in doubles. This year it was mostly from the English department. I didn't even know about it honestly, came to the library early and stumbled upon it.

I suppose I needed to spend more time at the library then. They don't email us about anything like this.

Check individual departments, sometimes they give away their old books if they get new ones. I had a few classes in the Classics department building and got a shit ton of free greeks last semester.

Rate my staq.

is reading death in venice really mandatory ?

50-100 pages per day

ilike

Picked these up today, how'd I do?

Me at the bottom

Stop reposting this image, and read your goddamn books already!

Gonna give this another shot after I finish L'ètranger and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. What should I expect?

>John E. Woods for the rest of his work.
My small town library inexplicably has a hardcover Woods translation of Magic Mountain with one of those red velvety strings to hold your place. It was so fucking good, I'm jealous. Only time I've wanted to steal a library book.

Didn't know the spongebob guy did book covers.

Still reading The Illuminatus! Trilogy. Haven't been reading much lately. Hopefully gonna speedread (/reread) Alice In Wonderland sometime soon. Just checking in :) Cheers.

>Atlas Shrugged

What's The Illuminatus like so far? I don't get clear answers when I ask, people keep telling me it's non-fiction or it's some Terry Pratchett Douglas Adams-core and I know they're just trying to activate my almonds but dammit it's working

lol

thanks dude

that edition of the hobbit deserves to be a hardcover. It just feels wrong to me to see it existing as a paperback.

Bottom two are good, can't comment on the top.

I recognise you from the other thread.

>What should I expect?
Deviancy.