Wanna become a politician

Wanna become a politician.
Any suggestions for that Veeky Forums ?

politics degrees are shit.

study law.

get involved in whatever party it is that you want to get involved in at a grass roots level. make connections. join a debating club. get some real life experience (nobody likes career politicians).....then when you're 40 and a jaded amoral fuckup stand for election.

also kys

and gb2/pol/

you didn't even ask for a book recc you pleb.

this is a LITERATURE board

>If you want to discuss politics, go to /pol/.

Watch house of cards

Prince

All the kings men, desu

This. Read Machiavelli. Probably Carl Schmidt too. Maybe Plato.

There's no real rational desire for it these days. Either you're driven by ideology or power. In the rare case where the desire is to do actual good they would have to be immensely, extraordinarily talented to make any sort of difference. Usually the people that want to make any real difference become doctors, do charity work or something else. Currently politics is just a big spectacle. I wouldn't want to get in it even if I was offered a blank check. Sure I might be silly for saying that, but I just think it's just a false allure.

What if OP wants to subvert the democratic process and become an autocrat?

Just going off the slight history I know of up to now I would say good timing comes in times of discord. As long as what is said sounds good to a majority of people that's what matters unfortunately, the rhetoric. With that being said what can be told to the masses can have a hidden agenda behind it. Most people are naive so that doesn't matter. Actions have to be demonstrated to people to show that you have genuine concern for them. People like Caesar come to power in spite of tradition or Napoleon in spite of revolts against institutions and are similarly reimplemented later (Roman Republic's long history and saying no to kings and Napoleon and his rise to emperor even though the French Revolution began not much more than a decade prior.)

It's hard to justify a government change and the suffering that comes with that unless there's abuse that's widely recognized and would not be immediately rebelled against if some kind of change happened. In a world where "democracy" is the primary recognized form, and seen morally as such, I don't think an autocrat has any chance at all. Even if they are accepted at home the political and diplomatic fallout abroad would be terrible. The only way would be if they were legitimatized through election but chances are if they go that far they are driven by ideology. Still, trying to find a genuine good for everybody is not worth the ensuing chaos.

>that picture
Can Monsanto do that to my cock yet?

Also I'd like to add in Napoleon's case the suffering already occurred in the form of the French Revolution. People saw Napoleon as government that is stable and could last and so embraced him no matter the form since people were tired of the bloodletting.

THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH RACE MIXING

the original series...not the kevin spacey clusterfuck

As good as British TV usually is, original HoC is such phantasmagorically boring dreck, that it looks like a satire of political shows. Spacey version is obviously the superior one (until it went clusterfuck in the last two seasons).

be born into a wealthy and influential family or forever remain the mayor of some who cares tier midwestern rural village shilling zoning laws to bully pig farmers and collude with HOAs to kick old ladies out of their family homes for not paying your new property taxes

the original series is nuanced and intelligent ans slow paced...not for the millenials

Watch Yes Minister, it's more realistic.

It didn't age gracefully and the acting is utterly abysmal quite often.

this. Just came here to say "be born into a rich and powerful family". and the rest of what this guy said is also the other option of course

have great hair and love to lie

>get interested in politics
>realize that politics are corrupt as shit and don't matter who's the smartest or most compassionate or who has the best ideas, just who's willing to lie and takes the most bribes from oil companies and there is nothing I can ever do about it
j-just

are you willing to give up everything you hold dear and sell yourself to the highest bidder?

Read the capital. If you don't agree with communism (you shouldn't) you would have arguments against it + you'll learn about pollitical propaganda / get some ideas / whatever

Childish nonsense aimed at justifying your laziness. It is easy to lie and take bribes, to do it in a way that advances your position, instead of just staying king shit of bumfukistan - that takes skill.

>it takes different kind of skills and moral principles than he imagined and he's disappointed
>WHAT ARE YOU LAZY TARD LUL IT REQUIRES SKILL BUMFUKISTAN LUL

You sure do have the necessary skills, what with all your whiteknighting and strawmanning.

Thucydides - History of the Peloponnesian war
Plato - Republic, Laws
Aristotle - Politics, Rhetoric
Cicero - Republic, laws, on duties, on the ideal orator, political speeches
Quintilian - The Orators education
St Augustine - City of God
Machiavelli - Discourses on Livy, The Prince
Hobbes - Leviathan
Rousseau - On the Social Contract
Locke - two treatise on government
Hume - On the balance of power
Kant - on perpetual peace
Burke - Reflections on the Revolution in France
Clausewitz - On War
Bernays - Propaganda, Crystallizing Public Opinion
Carr - The Twenty Years' Crisis
Schmitt - The concept of the political
Morgenthau - Politics among nations
Niebuhr - Moral man and Immoral society
Waltz - A theory of international politics, The man The state And war
Mearsheimer - The Tragedy of Great Power Politics

You'll want to supplement the above with a general understanding of history, study in detail events of high political crisis (Fall of the roman republic, french revolution, 18th-20th century Europe), look into some figures like:
Cicero
Julius Caesar
Augustus Caesar
Napoleon
Robespierre
Talleyrand
Fouche
Metternich
Bismarck

You'll also want to know at least the basics about macro and micro economics, and some books on marketing and group psychology.

Thanks for the list

bump

Good post.
I'm a law student, and the halls are full of wannabe politicians, students in various student organizations who are proxies for different political parties, and even some professors who are prominent members of various parties (heck one prof even runs a party).

As for books. I'd suggest
Discourses on Livy and The Prince by Machiavelli
Leviathan (Shits on anarchism, but is surprisingly more liberal than people make it out to be)
I would suggest learning the basics of micro and macro economics. Micro will push for libertarianism, macro (or economic policy books) will still be economically liberal, but will get you the gist of the tools a government has at it's disposal to effect the economy, what they are used for and what drawbacks they have (a basic example is how lowering interest rates gets you growth and employment, but leads to instability and inflation).
I happened to have both courses in law school (Basic econ - mostly micro, and Economic policy - focus on macro).
As for the books, i can't recommend you what i've read because it's not in the same language, but the micro textbook is based on Economics for lawyers by Richard A Ippolito, and has a few other books referenced. I'll only list them if you ask me to.
I would suggest you grab a book on rhetoric, or see if there's a course or club about it.
I would suggest "Why nations fail".
If you have an interest in geopolitics, check out Ian Bremmer, Peter Zeihan and Clash of Civilizations.

I have in interest in matters of state, but politics is just too dirty for my liking

I forgot.
All the Kremlin's Men: Inside the Court of Vladimir Putin
And The Dictator's Handbook: Why Bad Behavior Is Almost Always Good Politics

48 faults in our stars by John Greene

I wanted book suggestions ofc, why I am asking this on lit if not for books...

"In the rare case where the desire is to do actual good they would have to be immensely, extraordinarily talented to make any sort of difference" Well, I want to become this talented, hence the thread =)

Damn, thanks man ;)

[Spoiler]48 laws of Power by Robert Greene[/Spoiler]
[Spoiler]33 Strategies of war by Robert Greene[/Spoiler]

>That turn

What on earth? Does he have peg legs?

the way he leans forward and sticks his arms out while turning projects pure authority. I wouldn't want to mess with him.

You're not gonna make it dude but some of the books recommended here are worth a read.

he just looks fat

I forgot The Political Testaments of Cardinal Richelieu