Have you read him? What do you think of his work? and why is that The Magic Mountain is completely trash

Have you read him? What do you think of his work? and why is that The Magic Mountain is completely trash

also Death at Venice is vastly overrated

Read Death in Venice, absolutely loved it. Don't know where I should go to next. Magic Mountain or something else?

Read Magic Mountain, dude. It's cold and comfy like xanax in a blizzard.

Buddenbrooks, totally immersive and well-written, a bit long though. You should also read The Transposed Heads and Joseph and his Brothers.

what's up with the filename?

poor man's war and peace

Death in Venice makes me feel odd in my trousers.

>it's another retard who started reading in his twenties thinks that coming-of-age novels are bad
every time

But should I leave Magic Mountain for last? Or are they all great and it doesn't really matter which order I read them? Should I get a companion to read The Magic Mountain? I've heard it's full of symbolism and whatnot.

Doctor Faustus is really cringy.

/thread

>not reading Mann in german
you're literally missing half of the fun

Magic Mountain after you've done with his most acclaimed works

>learning kraut noise

Masterful, although in some ways not modern. There's not a trace of Angst in his novels, even when he consciously tries to make that the focus like in Tonio Kröger
Very orderly, noble literature

Maybe because Mann himself is of bourgeois origin and deeply believed in protestant ethics?

Navel-gazey Hesse

He's a wonderful writer. I've been meaning to get around to reading Joseph and His Brothers.

Also, Magic Mountain is fantastic and I bet you wouldn't even nurture a pedagogic bromance with Settembrini.

Seconded

The magic in his work is that he's really sort of one of the last Romantics. He saw what became of the German soul in Nazism, and went on to exist as a sort of Goethe in exile - never really at home with modern values, per se, but equally horrified by their fascistic counterpoint. A literal relic of earlier philosophic and stylistic traditions.

Magic Mountain is one of the greatest books I've ever read you mouthbreather

it's funny as fuck

True, but in a good way

>There's not a trace of Angst in his novels
have you read Little Herr Friedemann, Tristan, or The Joker?

Take this jew perspective to reddit. This is the reason Mann is and should be as a person looked down upon. He attacked his own people selfishly.

>I only critique authors based on whether or not they were nazis
go back to your safe space

What was selfish about it? If anything, it was his selfishness that prevented him from being openly critical of the regime for quite some time - since he was anxious to harm his popularity and sellability in Germany.
His children's reactions to the war, on the other hand, I find quite vile. Able to escape Germany through their wealth and social ties, and come back after the war to spit on their crushed and battered people. I don't think Mann could ever impart that odd singular essential quality of his onto his children, ironically, despite seemingly having imparted his literary aptitude and sexuality upon them. There's something tragic about it. It's very romantic. The Mann family died with Thomas.

Mann hated his own people and is celebrated by jews for this very reason. Any self-respecting white man should in turn look down on him personally and point this out as unhealthy and not something to be celebrated.

reading Schopenhauer improves the experience of reading Mann

this obsession with jews specifically as the sole source of all modernity's troubles is very baffling. it's a very sad and pathetic argument that everything in the world can be compressed down to a made up racial category that sublimates the individual.

it's also fairly obvious to anyone else who has spent time not exploring their own asshole that you've never read anything by or about mann other than that he was critical of nazis.

again, really don't get this obsession with jews and nazis and why you asshats refuse to stay on your containment board.

Get out

You are simply reporting your own ignorance here. Jewish power and its negative effects is well documented.