How do you describe a book like this?

How do you describe a book like this?

90s pomo meme

The author is very skillful at expressing himself while having nothing to say.

>The cover is blue and has text on it. It is made from a combination of pressed and dried plant matter, decorated with processed with pigments and dyes.

Onanism

with ebin meme arrows

Very carefully.

Maximalist

With normie memes
of the ironic and insincere variety

dfw had experience with pretty much everything in the book

>addiction
>drugs abuse
>tennis
>depression
>rehabilitation
>suicide watch

if this is not having anything to say...

This made me cringe physically

The book sums up a wide portion of degeneracy in the modern west quite well though.

Reminding the other person how intelligent you are constantly.

You locate popular themes that feature in the book, then you describe the style and finally maybe you give your own opinion on the book combined with a concise conclusion

Only insecure brainlets feel this way about Wallace, friend. Sorry to break it to you. There are countless authors this criticism might apply to in a real way, yet so many here can't get through IJ that this meme has spread like wildfire. I'm sorry it was too difficult, bud, but not everyone has that problem.

This but ironically

I'm just talking about retards, retard. It's fanbase is the rick and morty's fanbase of the literature.

I agree in the sense that there is plenty of depth to Infinite Jest, the problem is that it's also too accessible. It throws too many bones to the average reader in a way that Pynchon, Joyce, and Gaddis never did. So you end up with a lot of people feeling intelligent just for having read it, which leads to them forming their identities around it and pushing it on people in a way they don't even realize is embarrassing. I think it's a good novel, I connected to it emotionally and I took a lot away from it, but it's even better as a gateway into denser literature. The issues come from those same people never graduating from that level and instead moving laterally, claiming Wallace is the greatest writer of all time while having no frame of reference and sticking to middlebrow lit like Franzen forever.

Nobody bases their identity on the fact that they've read Infinite Jest

several words on several pages, bound in either a paper or cardboard cover

A steaming pile of turds

Agree

Didn't Wallace say that he writes for people who he assumes are just as intelligent as he is? Yeah, it's that
Maximalist pomo shit but I think his aim was a genuine attempt at being encyclopedic but not dense in a way to emotionally connect with the reader.

Damn lmao. So true.

Those are all vapid

most pseud thing ive read so far today

Yes, but what you said ignores the fact that many people would rather pretend to have understood something than take the time to truly get it. It varies wildly in its difficulty, all I'm saying is the easier parts might be a bit too easy to avoid the type of fanbase it has acquired.

yo, theres nothing to get bro. the whole book is easily digestible. you're not the only person in the world who grew up in american consumerism.

I met like 2 people at college who based their identities on the fact that they've read Infinite Jest.

Some white middle class dude self absorbed in his self-made first world problems.