What does Veeky Forums think of Haruki Murakami's works?

What does Veeky Forums think of Haruki Murakami's works?

I think Coin Locker Babies is his best work, but in terms of autobiography, Almost Transparent Blue stands out in my mind. In the Miso Soup is more of the same, but very fun and light reading

japanese palahniuk

I like him.
He appeals to some indispensable, pretentious part of my youth so I think I'll always have a soft spot for his style.

He has a very comfy writing style but all of his stories are 'boy meets quirky girl'.

i think he's a writer

Never read him. All I know about him is a) that apparently it's a meme that he should win a Nobel, and b) and off-side comment a friend once made in a group conversation: "I think I know why people enjoy reading Murakami: his characters fuck a lot."

Haven't read but Veeky Forums tells me he's garbage and I'm inclined to believe it
This sounds nice though
WHAT'S HIS BEST WORK?

He's enjoyable in a "comfy turn your brain off and feel nostalgic about your youth" kind of way.

He's great. I feel some of the writing is lazy (at least in translation) and some scenes are superfluous (discovery writing yay), but I'm guilty of the same faults without any of his redeeming qualities. He's good.

I've only read Kafka on the shore, was amazing

Nawww

hard boiled wonderland feels like the picture you posted. he's actually enjoyable.

When I read Murakami, I almost feel the same about "turn your brain off". Not that it's written simply but it feels really easy to read and just blaze through pages.

He's decent enough, very comfy and nostalgic, an easy read, very enjoyable.

Bitch I'm Murakami
Shawty sucking on my pastrami, get that salami

superior japanese writer coming through

wow a murakami thread that doesn't make Veeky Forums collectively shit their pants and tell people to go to reddit?
imagine my shock

I love him. His writing is easy to follow, but there's depth there if you're willing to work. Maybe all his characters are 30 y/o men, but hey, that should be right up lit's alley. I think I like him primarily because he unironically deals with love with sentiment but not with sentimentality. I appreciate it. Try reading Kafka on the Shore

Only read his short stories, really liked them but prefer the elephant vanishes. blind willow sleeping woman had mostly forgettable stories, trudging through 1Q84 but I just don't have the zeal to read it for more than a few minutes a week.

I love him, and I really respect how he tried to explore the same idea under different lenses for like 20 years.

That being said, while I think that his early work was amazing, his latest stuff has been pretty meh. 1Q84 was pretty interesting, though.