What's your method for outlining your story?

What's your method for outlining your story?

Lol thats for amateurs, I write ~80 paeges in 2 hours then spend time revising it

>writing before outlining
Have fun with that messy plot and lackluster ending

>he outlines his story

>16
Haha the plot of my stories follow naturally the course of action of the characters. I basically let them live freely withing the novel, if tyere is a plot it revolves on their decisions

Are you in fucking high school?
Nobody writes like that, because it's a terrible way to write. Everything you write is terrible as a result.
>muh characters
Fuck off anthrocuck

I assume you consider kafk,who used to write like tdhat, a terrible writer and Bran Down, who makes outlines, a genius

Retard, I'm not trying to write a fictional diary, I'm trying to write a story.

Yay nice objective and pragmatic approach, brol you'll b able to make a very generic storyk maybe putting some stream of consciousness there and obscure references couldfool afew critics who knows

Are you fucking illiterate?
I SAID THAT OUTLINES ARE BAD
WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU ON A LITERATURE BOARD IF YOU CANNOT COMPREHEND TWO SENTENCES IN PLAIN ENGLISH?
FUCKING ESL, GET OUTGETOUTGETOUTGETOUT

>hurr durr knowing what you're doing makes your plot bad because uhhhhhhhh, don't structure your plot!!! hurr

Go ask Homer what was his "structure". I bet I can write better than you on any gender without a previously set structure, but using natural instinct

ARE YOU ACTUALLY
FUCKING
ILLITERATE
ARE YOU ACTUALLY FUCKING ILLITERATE?
GETOUTGETOUTGETOUT
Holy fuck, ESL NEED TO GET OFF AN ENGLISH LITERATURE BOARD OR RESTRAIN THEMSELVES TO THE SHITTHREADS DEDICATED TO THEIR BARBARIAN LANGUAGE

Wow now the retarded got triggered. I imagine how good your dialogues are. lurk more, fag

How old are you by the way? I can't believe someone older than 16 can be that retarded withouy actually being clinically retarted, so I guess you should checkyiur retardation

>dialogues
I'm not a fucking YA writer.
I'm 29 you fucking plebbitor

If you need some sort of cookie cutter outlining form or method, you're already out of your league in attempting to write a story.

Good luck with your "experimental work"

This

I think a lot of the writers who post in Veeky Forums critique threads would benefit from outlining, even an outline as formulaic as this one here. Most are writing total wank and have no clear direction or interest in the audience whatsoever. There is no real reason for anybody but them to read what they share. I respect Stephanie Meyer or James Patterson, who can hold an audience's attention and organize characters and dramatic situations, infinitely more than some 20 year old jackass who thinks his Joycean prose makes up for the fact that he doesn't know how to tell a story

Another petersonian, muh postmodepostmodefn

You're behaving like a kid throwing a fit. Kill yourself immediately, """29""" year old faggot.

Epic poetry absolutely has a structure, what are you talking about?

I use a sort of fluid outline but there's nothing wrong with letting your characters drive if that's your method. No need for everyone to fight about it.

>experimental
I'm only working on my first play right now, which is my first non-fiction.
It isn't 'experimental'. It's the summation of my research on the Epic of Gilgamesh, Platonism, phenomenology, and ecology, as well as the fictions of many others and the Eastern Orthodox tradition.
The kid is fucking illiterate, what do you expect him to know about poetry besides Robert Frost and Rupi Kaur?

>epic of gilgamesh
>ecology
>hegel
>eastern orthodox church

Are you going to throw it all in a blender and see what comes out?
Because these subjects have no relationship with each other, god luck next time , pleb

>writing assignments

Cringe

>hegel
Bad bait. Phenomenology is a field which only really developed later.
They are all totally related, which you would know if you had any understanding.
Ecophenomenology is old news by now. Gilgamesh is a hugely ecological poem and I have read a handful of articles relating it to ecophenomenology. To say Platonism has nothing to do with orthodoxy or Gilgamesh is absolutely pathetic, as Platonic ideas are distinctly Eastern and Orthodoxy has the strongest Neoplatonic tradition.
But I'm sure you, a 19-year-old boy who read a summary online for his comparative mythology course, knows more about the poem than I do. No, I may have thousands of pages under my belt, but you heard about Gilgamesh from FSN!

>gilgamesh is an ecological work
No. I guess you don't even know what's the ourpose of an epic poem. No point in discussing with you.
Next idea for a dissertation :Exodus as an apology to accept immigrants; Odyssey as a story of male oppression over the wife

I have the skeleton of a plot - major beats and character arcs - but as far as the micro goes, things don't get much further than "Character X and Character Y will have to talk about Subject Z at some point during all this". Planning the pacing of all that comes later; at the bottom of my word document, I generally have a loose, but more detailed outline of how the next couple pages should probably progress.

Having a strict outline is dumb, but what you're saying you're doing is also pretty dumb - and also not (by the sounds of it) what you're doing. If you're going in with these plans about what subjects you're going to discuss, then you're prescribing events or dialogues to come (read: outlining). If you're absolutely certain that you're NOT outlining to get to that point, and that you're really just crafting your characters from the outset so that they naturally progress in such a way that the events that you want to happen happen, then guess what?: you're outlining, even if not in the strictest sense of the word.
Please stop; you're embarrassing yourself.

I write short stories. My notes are like pic related.
I give it a vague outline and nothing more. I make the rest up on-the-go, and I often ditch the original idea if a better one comes up.

If you can't write a consistent short story without heavy outlines, why even write? At that point there's no use pretending.

>Please stop; you're embarrassing yourself.
How?

>How?
Well you entered this thread with a level if retardation that could've been taken as a joke, but by now you've made clear that it wasn't.
Also:
>No, I may have thousands of pages under my belt, but you heard about Gilgamesh from FSN!
- nice projection
Also also, listing your lofty interests in an unsubstantiated way (remember all the shit-talking about what Moore said about Jerusalem?:
>The author told the New Statesman that there would be a “Lucia Joyce chapter, which is completely incomprehensible ... all written in a completely invented sub-Joycean text”, while another chapter would be written in the style of a Samuel Beckett play, and a third would be “a noir crime narrative based upon the Northampton pastor James Hervey, whom I believe was the father of the entire Gothic movement”.)
- like, sweet Christ, shut up. You're wanking yourself off on ideas instead of thinking how to effectively execute them. If you're 29 and still wasting time bullying children here, then maybe you should nix writing for a second; think about how you should've outlined your life.

>total wank
All the posts on Veeky Forums are of the highest literary merit

t. Oily smarts

A scene by scene synopsis in a word document. Looking back at it, the details of the story ended up rather different, but it provided a useful basic framework

Good notes. But
>If you can't write a consistent short story without heavy outlines, why even write? At that point there's no use pretending.
Pretending to what? One person writes a great story using heavy notes, the other writes a great story without using notes, they're still both writing great stories. Writing literature isn't freestyling. It's not fundamentally any different to editing or redrafting a piece, the difference is just the quantity of pre-written material you're working from ... you do edit, don't you?

>its not an ecological work
>applying 'epic poem' prescriptively to what many consider the earliest recorded literature
Go fuck yourself
Do you not even know what ecology is you fuckwad?

Outlining is not a dualism you fuck, it's a spectrum (you should know a lot about spectrums)
Thematics is not outlining, by the way.

If you read what I said, you'd know that I am using a spectrum; I said the extremes were stupid, and that almost everyone falls somewhere in the middle ground.
And if you want to bicker about definitions, 'themes' would fall into 'outlining', and I think you meant 'dichotomy'.
>(you should know a lot about spectrums)
Is this an insult? Protip: try ones that are actually relevant, or at least sting. Also, unnecessary curse words distract from whatever point you're pretending to make.