What is the Veeky Forums equivalent of pure mathematics?

What is the Veeky Forums equivalent of pure mathematics?

Joyce's letters to his wife

Pure ideology

poetry

linguistics

philology

Borges

What the fuck is pure mathematics?

I'm guessing OP means mathematics involving that which is infinite, rather than the math and physics of today that is only trying to multiply and divide.

Metafiction.

math done for its own sake rather than for applicability. No clue what this guy means as infinity shows up in applied math often

There are really people who do math just for the sake of math? Sounds like a sad existence.

I'm not taking this bait

That which is infinite is absolute and represents purity. Math that divides is contingent and represents substance, the opposite of purity.

Purity in fiction is the representation of language without barrier... so stream of consciousness as a narrative would be the equivalent?

as math is to literature

applied math is to prosody

but i don't know how to answer your question, op. I can only suggest a few writers:
vollmann, pirandello,

Possibly, I guess any book that contains characters or symbols that signify absolute principles and could pptentially continue on indefinitely.

Am I getting at something here?

Math done for its own sake and no higher purpose? Probably escapism/genre fiction. All serious literature is philosophic, and the end of philosophy is understanding of the world so as to live a good life. Great literature/philosophy is never for its own sake

Came in to post this.
Borges got me interested in math.

philology and/or philosophy

language poetry

The 19th Amendment was a mistake.

Pure formal logic.

Being and Time

Absolute Literature

t. guy who spends his life reading about wildly outdated ideas and people who never even existed

The Glass Bead Game

I'm not even going to touch that one

could you even prove that root 2 is irrational?

Reflect for a moment and discover that this is the very type that moves history.

this is just such a terribly stupid comment that demonstrates terrible reading comprehension, pretension, and a confidence in one's ignorance. Very shameful

>he doesn't realise mathematics is philosophical

pfft, nuttin' personnel kid

The alphabet

Pure math forms the basis for most scientific disciplines, so the equivalent in literature would be the idea of literacy itself.

Pure mathematics.

Please, do tell me why I’m wrong. Great literature is never written for its own sake

I'm biting this one guys

Math is fun.
Especially when you get out of the rote-memorization rut that school puts you through.

You don't realize you've even been in this rut until you actually start thinking about and solving problems that that involve the practical application of math.

Math is beautiful. There is no more pure of a language

linguistics is more Veeky Forums than Veeky Forums

philology works though

The most simplistic division in mathematics is applied and pure. Applied is basically just taking the directly practical parts mathematics and inserting it into other fields, or rather as it finds itself in those fields (science and engineering, for example). While pure is doing and developing mathematics in of itself, for itself.

Applied is reliant on pure, as applied doesn't develop mathematics, while pure does (this is relevant because we wouldn't even have present basic arithmetic without it). Pure comprises the majority of mathematics. Pure is concerned with theory (proof theory, set theory, etc) and axioms in relation to mathematics itself. One can take something from "pure mathematics" and apply it to some end, rendering that application to be applied mathematics but the development and study of that piece of mathematics itself, is "pure mathematics".

Unironically.

Spinoza’s Ethics obv

>lit tries math

I literally would slap you if you said that in front of me with a straight face.

frege and russell, and they aren't even a version but both a lit version and a literal example of pure mathematics. best of both worlds knowmsayin.

My diary desu

Literature as criticism of life is so basic and philistine that no one's going to bother with a genuine reply because no one can take your opinion as genuine. I'm stuck between feeling embarrassed for you and laughing at you.