Can we get a horror thread?

Can we get a horror thread?

> What are you reading?
> Who are your favourite writers?
> What new novelists and books have you discovered?

What are the best examples of post-apocalyptic horror?

I read Fall of the House of Usher for the first time and really liked it!

I'm playing scary games instead of reading scary things.

What are you playing?

I'm playing Earthbound which is sort of related.

I started re-reading House on the Borderland yesterday because the sun was red and reminded me of a lot of scenes from the novel.

Earthbound's a good choice. This time of the year is always welcoming to the scary, but also the weird. Earthbound's a perfect fit.

In a similar vein to Earthbound, I played two RPGMaker games called Space Funeral and Hylics which were interesting, short games with weird things to share. But more traditionally scary, I am playing Alien Isolation, played Silent Hill 4, Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, playing Planescape Torment, House of the Dead 1 emulated... I'm really going all out, it's pretty exciting. I'm thinking of playing one of the Arkham games for their excellent atmosphere, but I have other things I may play instead.

I have never read a book that spooked me as good as random creepypasta. Why is that?

Have you read Night Lands? I'm going to read it at some point soon.

The only story which truly spooked me was The Statement of Randolph Carter. Its laid out in the same vein of a creepy pasta. You should try some of the old horror short stories since they always build to a creepy conclusion.

I've read most of Poe and Lovecraft, but never been truly unsettled by any of it. Perhaps it's just easier to believe a narrator who speaks like your contemporaries.

the believable conceit that it is real carries creepypasta beyond the point books fail to suspend your belief.

>Perhaps it's just easier to believe a narrator who speaks like your contemporaries.

Maybe try Ligotti or some contemporary short story collections?

this and creepypasta is also short and to the point. short stories and novels can often suffer as actually scary/creepy reading because so few authors are capable of satisfying endings after many pages of build up.

Nope but it's definitely the next book I plan on buying. I need more weird fiction in my library so going to get some of that and some of the lesser known ones.

Just finished The Great God Pan by Arthur Machen and I loved it.

Starting up Xelucha by MP Shiel next. I read his book The Purple Cloud a few years ago and enjoyed it, so I've got my hopes up.

Watch out for whether its the cut or uncut edition. I bought the HarperCollins edition.

>Just finished The Great God Pan by Arthur Machen and I loved it.

I agree; really dug GGP.

On a different subject, Pet Sematary is one of the few horror novels I've read that has a *perfect* ending. He just nails it. 10/10.

i read it after reading The Fisherman and found it a lesser exploration of grief and horror however it was a good book.

Currently reading Cisco's Divinity student, I'm at the halfway point and I'm starting to think this dude might be all style and no substance, hope the second half is better.

My last couple recent finds that were quite enjoyable were William Meikle and Brian Evenson, read Tormentor and Last Days respectively. I'm interested in digging into Meikle's Carnacki tales.

Also I returned to Hodgson and finished The Ghost Finder collection, I have it as a goal to finish the Night Land this year maybe after I've read a couple books more.

Not that user but I thought Arkham Asylum had better atmosphere and was overall a stronger game than Arkham City which felt like it spread itself too thin.

Would recommend Rule of Rose, Forbidden Siren/Siren, Fatal Frame and Resident Evil 7 for a month of spooky vidya

Going to pick up some random paperbacks are the used book store this weekend. Definitely going to grab any decent looking anthologies I don't already have as I've always found that format better for the Halloween atmosphere.

Also going to pick up the penguin book of Arthur Machen as I only know The Great God Pan and I've been meaning to get into him for a while.

Recently read The Golem by Gustav Meyrink. It has an enthralling atmosphere, a comfy description of the jewish ghetto of Prague and very interesting characters. Would def recommend.

True crime spooks me, especially stuff about nighttime home invasions.

the latin alphabet is an Agressive alphabet.

Is Robert Aickman good? I've been meaning to read him but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Very good. In a unique, particularly weird way.

>this dude might be all style and no substance
Unfortunately in The Divinity Student that's the case, I don't think it's his strongest work.

What would you add to this?

Machen, Clark Ashton Smith & R.E. Howard are some i can think of.

Jesus christ get a fucking job, I can smell the cheeto dust and cumrags from here

The Best Horror of the Year: Volume 1 edited by Ellen Datlow. Or any of her horror anthologies. She has a knack for finding the best horror short stories.

None of that near me, BITCH.

Thanks for the recommendations, user. I 100% agree with you about Asylum and City.