Which language is worth learning Veeky Forums?

I already speak fluent french and english, obvisouly
Should I follow the latin meme, learn spanish, russian?

Other urls found in this thread:

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/Russian
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The only languages worth learning in this world, all things considered (economic benefits, culture, amount of native speakers, etc.) are: English, Spanish, French, Russian, Chinese and Arabic.

So just choose one based off your own interests.

Latin is fun, though

German?

French, English and German is the holy triad of relevant languages

Globalised af

How many times must you be told? Greek, Greek, the Greeks! What, did you think you were allowed to read them in translation? Absolutely not!

English, French, German, Russian, Spanish, Italian, Hebrew, Arabic, Amharic, Farsi, Hindi, Swahili, Yoruba, Portuguese, Turkish, Greek, Latin, Dutch, Bengali, Malay, Tagalog, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Khoisan, and Coptic are the languages you want to start with. Did I miss any?

already knowing french you are one step closer to learning spanish and italian, so if you want the easier way I guess you could go to one of the 2. Latin as user said is fun but dead, though there are great books in latin. German is the lingua franca of philosophy but a clusterfuck to learn, but is also one of the nicest languages.

depends on your interests...

forgot to add that knowing German makes learning Dutch much easier

Isn't Dutch and German the same thing?

They are very similar, but not the same. A person speaking Dutch can, in most cases, understand German pretty good and vice versa. See the difference for yourself:
Nein, Deutsch und Niederländisch sind nicht gleich
Nee, Duits en Nederlands zijn niet hetzelfde
(No, German and Dutch aren't the same)

you would have to be a very impressive person to choose the best language to learn. usually for someone to succeed at learning, they must choose a language that sparks a huge unconcious interest in them. for example, I would suggest Russian as I have a lot of fun with the language and it has many uses even just online. but you may not feel the same. only you can pick. but try and learn one where the natives don't really speak any of your languages

>they must choose a language that sparks a huge unconcious interest in them

This. Switched my efforts from French to German and now I'm much more enthusiastic about it

You could have used gelijk

If I had used 'gelijk' the sentence would feel kinda wrong, 'hetzelfde' is better imo

Romance languages will be easy if your French is good. Literary "worth": Spanish and Italian (great traditions); Portuguese (strong tradition); Romanian (local/minor importance); regional, minor and archaic languages (special interest only).

Germanics shouldn't be too hard either for English native/near-native speaker. Literary "worth": German (great tradition); Danish/Norwegian (strong tradition, highly mutually intelligeble in written form); Swedish (significant body of works); Dutch/Afrikaans (local/minor importance); regional, minor and archaic languages (special interest only).

Slavic languages are significantly harder for Germanic/Romance native, but not extraordinary so. Literary "worth": Russian (great tradition), Polish and Czech (strong traditions), the rest (local/minor importance), regional, minor and archaic languages (special interest only).

Out of the rest of the world the only somewhat sizeable traditions are Chinese and Japanese. Personally, I'd say you shouldn't bother due to prohibitive difficulty, unless you have particular special interest and/or plan to live in respective countries. Same goes for archaics and local languages - i.e. you will no doubt be relentlessly memed about Ancient Greek, but unless you're a scholar or autistic, the return on investment of learning a couple of above mentioned living languages will be much higher than that of years spent memorizing inflection forms of 5 different dead dialects.

Pretty much this. As useless as japanese may be it's pretty much the only asian language I can fathom to study.

Beautiful painting.

OP here, thanks guys
I'm torn between russian and german desu, although I've been told spanish would be more useful in the long run

Where do you live? What is your native language?

Quebec, french but speak fluent english although improving my vocabulary couldn't hurt

Basque and Gaelic.

There's probably more German and Russian speakers than Spanish in Canada

I'm learning russian fuck it
any recommendations on tools I could use?

Russian is one of the most enjoyable and rewarding languages to learn. It will be extremely hard but every step and every success will be more rewarding than it was difficult. Plus people think it is really cool and when used correctly it can either the most beautiful or intimidating sounding language.

I know almost nothing about German as a language but the philosophical texts written in it could be said to be an argument enough for learning it.

As for Spanish, Pros: one of the easiest languages to learn. Mexican food.
Cons: It is literally the sound of 600 years of Latins being buttfucked by Arabs.

P.S. If you learn a language solely for utility, you'll probably be a boring basic unhappy fuck when using it. Study what you're passionate about and you will thank yourself in the end.

Spanish should be easy for a francophone, but the usefulness is questionable unless you plan to move to US or further south. I'd say go with German if you want an adequately hard enjoyable learning experience. Russian would require quite a bit more work, dedication and involvement to get to a high level.
t. speak both

thanks to you both

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/Russian

user, you are Chelovek now. Let this Чaд мeм guide you in your struggle to learn.

Learn German, Latin, and Greek really well. Then follow the Latin meme into Spanish and Italian

Canada has a huge Ukrainian diaspora

I know that's why I said that