Intro to lit

Used to read a bunch of books that are considered memes on Veeky Forums (1984, Animal Farm, Flowers for Algernon). I loved the emotions that these books played on my mind and I want more. I know there are better books and I'm hoping that you can help me find them. I want a book that takes a toll on my emotions, but I just don't know what to pick.

Most of the books that are recommended here are too complex for me and seem to push me away from reading instead of pursuing it. That's mostly because I know jack-shit about literature.

So, can I get a recommendation on a conventional books that provokes emotions. Nothing too ridiculously complex, I need a book to ease into.

Brideshead Revisited

Pick your poison friend, most of these are very simple in structure so you probably will not have problem with any of them.

He is the people's writer and a great segway into Russian literature which is not complex persay, but emotionally complex. Pick up a collection of his short novels and plays too

Thanks, I appreciate the recommendations, I'm ready to throw myself into them with an open mind.

Some of these are actually fairly difficult, like Burgess, Burroughs, and Conrad, and some deceptively easy like Gertrude Stein and Dosto's The Double. Wide selection nevertheless

>Conrad
>Burgess
>difficult
Bruh

johnny got his gun is awful. I read that in 2015, one of the worst books Ive ever read

Was surprised to see Miss Lonelyhearts on there, almost never see it discussed here. It's one of my favorite short stories though. Thinking of picking up Day of the Locust.

Let me hijack this thread for a moment, was there a poll for Veeky Forumss 100 best for 2017?

>considered memes on Veeky Forums (1984, Animal Farm
Why are 1984 and animal farm considered memes? I think they are pretty good & interesting

READ THE FUCKING STARTER KIT

What starter kit? There are multiple starter kits

Interesting, but poorly written most of the time.

i had a centrist teacher in highschool who made us read that. i think that got me back into reading for a while. good book.

Catcher in the Rye
Master and Margarita
Canticle for Leibowitz

Do you have some examples of better written novels? I just started with literature and I don't know when texts are written well or badly yet

Because they are fairly popular, and Veeky Forums thrives on putting on airs of elitism. It's the same reason that most of Veeky Forums will shit on Steinbeck and Vonnegut in a way that isn't really warranted.

Most of Veeky Forums doesn't realize that Kierkegaard accurately and succinctly diagnosed this attitude 150 years ago, and succumbing to it is the surest sign of upper plebbery there is.

lolita - nabakov

Any other novels which are not about adult men in love with an underage girl?

Proust, Faulkner, Joyce, Lawrence etc. They tend to be fairly long winded if you mind that.

In search of lost time looks interesting, thanks

>Veeky Forums thrives on putting on airs of elitism
Not really. Occasinal teenager will spout "le genre fiction meme" and play 2eleet4u, but compared to other boards lit is pretty down to earth.

This guy asked for starter literature and people are still recommending Joyce and Proust. Wtf, that's not what OP is asking for at all. Read Fahrenheit 451, Slaughterhouse Five, maybe The Great Gatsby or Catcher in the Rye. Yeah, these are typical high school books, but they're worthwhile if you haven't read much of anything before.

This one
I think the polling user said it will be done in December

Thanks, already read 5 of them apparently

do you want to know how I know you're from reddit?

>UMMM OMG STOP RECOMMENDING ME PEDO SHIT UMMM... THANKS SWEETIE

stop thinking this way or you will forever be a pleb. give it a try.

Thanks, I already got a couple books I appreciate the wide range of recommendations

Is there any follow up to this chart? I consider myself a total pleb but have read all of these.

Conrad is difficult

academic literature is a waste of time for anyone who isn't an aspiring writer

Yeah maybe if you started actually reading at 19 like most of the faggots who migrate to this board

Lolita is a great book. One of the best.

Conrad is dense, even after five reads.
Op, I'm about to read, "The Pigman, " again. It has feelz.