What is the best short horror story collection in your opinion?

what is the best short horror story collection in your opinion?

20th Century Ghosts
>OP said to give my Opinion

Nick land - horror in ancapistan ; psychological punk and othet, he has many great storiez

Different Seasons or Night Shift

or Nightmares and Dreamscapes

no contest. mental illness is horrific stuff.

is night shift actually good?

I'm reading Everything's Eventual and there are some spooky ones in there, but it's not all horror. Is NS horror throughout?

Lovecrafts Complete Works

I really liked Everything's Eventual. The titular story is really good and Dinky makes a pleasant appearance later in The Dark Tower series. The Road Virus Heads North is a solid horror story and The Man in the Black Suit is comfy as hell. The audiobook narrators are really good to (especially The Man in the Black Suit).

Night Shift has some good stories and it is King's older stuff, which is interesting. Night Surf, I Am the Doorway, The Mangler, Gray Matter, Battleground, and The Ledge are all good. Quitters, Inc. is probably one of my favorite in Night Shift.

I'm not sure if it is a ripoff of They Live or what, but The Ten O'Clock People in Nightmares and Dreamscapes is among my favorite King short story. N&D is probably my favorite collection - Umney's Last Case, Dolan's Cadillac, The End of the Whole Mess, You Know They Got a Hell of a Band, Home Delivery, Sneakers, and Rainy Season are solid.

I just really like his short stories, I wish he would dredge up all his old stuff, unpublished and previously published in magazines, and start pumping out more collections. You can't go wrong with any of his collections.

MR James's collected stories or Ancient Sorceries, by Algernon Blackwood

This one is pretty good

Yeah I'm enjoying Eventual. even the non-horror ones are good. I'm trying to read the stuff that relates to the Dark Tower, I know it's not necessary but it's nice to get the whole "Universe" experience. After Eventual I'll probably pick up Night Shift, have you read any of his novels? which ones that relate to the Dark Tower should I go for? (the best one of the bunch, might not go through all of them) I hear Insomnia is good.

Night Shift and Alone With the Horrors by Ramsay Campbell are both up there.
Everything's Eventual is actually also a fantastic collection. "Lunch at the Gotham Cafe," "1408," and "the Man in the Black Suit" are all great. Most of Stephen King's weaknesses as a writer only become apparent once the page count of a work exceeds 150 or so. His novellas and short stories are almost universally solid reads.

I struggle with using the word best when giving my opinion on literature.

I can say my favourite horror story is "The dreams in the witch house" By H.P. Lovecraft

I've read a lot of Stephen King. I'm sort of ambivalent about Insomnia; it's a good example of when the story gets a bit out of King's control. But it's definitely worth a read. I should mention that I actually haven't read Insomnia, just listened to the audiobook (which was really well narrated). Read 'Salem's Lot, because the main character shows up in Dark Tower (with Dinky no less).

Little Sisters or Eluria in Everything's Eventual is of course a Dark Tower short story. Low Men in Yellow Coats in Hearts in Atlantis is not only a great story but has a direct connection with Dark Tower.

I should mention that I really like The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet in Skeleton Crew and N in Just After Sunset. You really can't go wrong with King's short stories, and I agree with regarding King and story length.

As mentioned in another thread, King's stories are written organically without a plot outline, which means they are invariably going to be meandering and include some fat that should have been trimmed by the editor (but isn't). Sometimes it works in his favor, but other times it makes the story rather tedious and basically going around in circles.

I'm going to read the ones ITT and you fags better not be wrong. I want to be questioning my sanity after I'm done with a book like that

If you want to read something with a disturbing ending, try Revival by Stephen King. It's a little bloated, as per King's style, but the ending is truly disturbing.

Ligotti's other stuff is good, no question.

This one though, first time I read a whole anthology of his instead of a short story here or there.

This one hit me hard for some reason.

>Stephen Cuck
Definitely not that. Apply yourself, fool.

>married to same woman for more than 45 years
>has children
>net worth of several hundred million dollars
Nah m8, you the cuck.

>he unironically read Stephen King
>he thinks Stephen King is "good" literature
Hola reddit

>people can only like one author
>people should be judged by every author they enjoy

I guess you didn't grow up in an educated and prosperous household where everyone read copiously, and therefore think reading is a novel sign of intelligence that differentiates you from everyone else. I don't see reading as an ostentatious pursuit in the name of virtue signalling or some other superficial and jejune exercise. Perhaps you lack self-confidence and self-awareness?

Just try to push your boundaries and don't wind yourself up too tight. You are still young and there is much room for growth and improvement, just be open and don't worry so much about how you might be perceived.

I grew up in an educated household and was from a young age given real literature to read, not Stephen King dreck. And given your reply, I'm guessing I really hit a nerve, didn't I?

He probably only reads SK, so when people call him out for his cancer-tier taste, he uses ''le taste is subjective'' escapism instead of facing the truth