Adventure!

Does Veeky Forums have an essential adventure-core list or recommendations. I love tails of daring escapades and romantic struggle over dastardly foes. I've read treasure island, count of monte cristo, three muskateers, most of Tolkeins works and adored the seven pillars of wisdom (obviosly not strictly adventure but still is an amazing tale). What else would I enjoy?

Also, do you enjoy these sort of novels and is the lack of modern literature with these themes a god or bad signo of the times in your mind?

Other urls found in this thread:

hilobrow.com/adventure/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You had to do Towlkin like that? Really pham?

Earthsea by Ursula K. le Guin

I love ERB! Over one hundred adventures to choose from.

The Book of the New Sun

The Odyssey
Captain Courageous and Swiss Family Robinson (since you like Treasure Island)
The Lost World (Arthur Conan Doyle)
Jules Verne should be up your alley
Emilio Salgari? Not really my genre, so I'm running out of ideas.
This chronological list could help you out: hilobrow.com/adventure/

Jack Vance: The Dying Earth

This!

The Riddle of the Sands

Kidnapped!
Beau Geste

Forester's Hornblower series, O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series, anything by Rafael Sabatini

>adventure-core
the odyssey
moby-dick; or, the whale
robinson crusoe
the conquest of new spain
the travels of marco polo
the travels of sir john de mandeville

The Long Ships by Frans Bengtsson

Comfy-core

All Sabatini, All Haggard, and Kipling's wonderful novel Kim.

check out wind, sand and stars by antoine de saint-exupery, it's short, about his plane crash in the desert.

To match the naval period pieces mentioned here (Napoleonic Wars) with some terrestrial campaigning Cornwell's Sharpe's Rifles series.

Also Southern Mail, my favorite St. Ex.

Sailing Alone Around The World by Joshua Slocum is the greatest adventure book ever conceived.

Fantastic recommendation user.

Jules Verne

You seem to have a very similar taste to my own. Here are some books that match your description, which I loved and wish I could read for the first time again:

The Odyssey
The Aeneid
The Anabasis by Xenophon
Moby Dick by Melville
Typee by Melville
Billy Budd by Melville
Kim by Rudyard Kipling
The Red and Black by Stendhal
The Island of the Day Before by Umberto Eco
Ivanhoe by Walter Scott
The Medallion by Walter Scott

what are his best?

kek

Captain Blood

Anything Conrad. Also Peter Matthiessen

i love you Veeky Forums, good night, sweet dreams

This. I cannot echo this enough.

see
>Forester's Hornblower series

Try the first book he wrote in the series: Beat to Quarters (has a different title outside the US). Lot of good adventure therein, and a touch of romance as well.

Forester's African Queen is another of his adventure stories, and a very good read. The film adaptation is quite faithful to the book.

If you like historical novels try "Empires of Sand" and "The Sword and the Scimitar" (also called "Ironfire" in an earlier edition) by David Ball. Both are amazing novels and do not get nearly the attention and the credit they deserve. I like them better than the Ken Follett or Noah Gordon stuff.

I really enjoyed Arabia Felix, would heartily recommend

Jack london

The Mahabharata?