Do you read on public transportation?

Do you read on public transportation?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BwkdGr9JYmE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why wouldn't you?

Yeah, but after i while i realised i just prefer to disappear in a daydream. I love early morning daydream.

it makes me dizzy

Because you are going to look like a fucking nerd.

No because I'm not a pseud virgin

Yes but my ride is only five or so minutes so I just read with the Kindle app on my phone because it's quick and accessible.

>public transportation
Not even once.

When I have to take the train, you bet I do.

On train maybe, in bus no cause I get nausea

No. I read exclusively at dusk in my bathtub filled with tepid water and sweet scent of freshly cut petunias emanating from a pastel colored chrysantemum-bouquet while sipping off-millesime Chateau Angelus. Anything less just doesn't get me in the mood. Reading in public seems kind of pretentious, though.

It's the one and only time I listen to audio books because the once a week where I have enough time to even think about absorbing anything literary, the journey is so cramped and uncomfortable that it's inconceivable to even think about trying to functionally handle a book or an e-reader so I just don't. I'd have my headphones in anyway so I might as well be at least somewhat productive. One might argue the veracity of such a claim: audiobooks = productive"? etc, but I won't so keep your (You)s to yourselves.

You shouldn't care about how you look, dumbass. be based

You'll only look like a tool if you live in a hick American state. And even if that were the case, what the fuck would you do during your commute? Play Candy Crush on your cellphone?

I do.
Not only that, but I have the habit of underlining parts of the books I'm reading and then writing small summaries on the blank pages at the beginning of the book for the parts I underlined, and I don't shy away from doing this on public transport either.
However, people look at me quite a lot when I do that. The other day a girl kept staring at me for like 10 minutes on the train while I was flipping back and forth and writing, it was incredibly irritating. Like, read your own book and stop staring, it's rude.

>he doesn't vigorously masturbate through his pants while watching bbm futa furry reverse penisbirth hentai on a 12 inch tablet on his daily commute
It's like you want to stay a pleb.

If you're trying to be ironic, I applaud your good sense of humor.

>Living anywhere but New York or LA
Why even live in America?

>However, people look at me quite a lot when I do that

Are you sure that that isn't just your imagination?
When I read in public, someone may try read the title in the cover, but that's all

It's not my imagination. If it were, I would also have the same feeling when just reading, yet I don't.
But when I do that thing people stare at me like they're looking at a freak.

This is why Kindle was invented. You can easily appear like a normal, non pretentious human being reading kindle in public because the cover isn't showing and you might as well be using a normal tablet, plus it's really easy to carry around, unlike a book, which you usually can't pocket.

>having a swindle
No thanks, I like my book to last into the future and not be taken away from me or be easily lost.

youtube.com/watch?v=BwkdGr9JYmE

Hm,I wonder why they do it then

Why it is pretentious to read fiction in public?
I say fiction because that's what I and mostpeople rread in public.

I've done that but it's becoming too mainstream. Just the other day a guy came on my Kobo's screen and ruined my reading session.

Dude, listen to me. I live in a third world country in Asia and I get no stares from people when I read a physical book during my commute. You're overreacting.

>Reading on the train
Is there anything more pretentious, more attention-seeking?

>You're overreacting.
Mate, almost every single time I raise my eyes up while doing that, I see someone staring at me. The other day that cunt kept staring at me so often I wanted to slap her.

Copying someone else's meme post because it got (You)'s possibly.

shut up nigger I'm just acting as an agent of the collective Veeky Forums unconscious

I would find that funny and a good way to initiate conversations.
-Hey I notice you were looking, are you also a fan of Gergrude Stein?

Most people who use that big bellied guys2image is a shitster

Why didn't you just say books and not fiction?

It looks pretentious because you look like you're showing off how intellectual you are. It's sort of like flaunting it into people's faces, because most people just mindlessly tap on their smartphones.

It's low key condescension, is what it is, even though it sounds silly, even though it shouldn't be the case, it is.

I'm ranting now, but I've been thinking a lot about the concept of "pretension," and how much more frequently I keep seeing it used. I think it sort of describes the death of the individual, because everyone considers themselves individuals now. The average person now is more educated and more informed about things than they used to be, and we're all sort of becoming more self conscious about how insignificant it is being informed.

Reading a book out in public with the cover showing is attempting to make yourself look individualistic, around people who all consider themselves individuals.

It's like being unaware of how miserable your attempt at appearing individualistic is because you don't realize these things.

>I would find that funny
I really don't like being looked at so, no, I don't find it funny at all.
Also, I was reading Schmitt which is not exactly fertile ground for conversations between strangers.

The bad part is that if you live in a third world country, it might get stolen since it does look like a tablet.
That's why i only use it on the school (college) bus and when traveling to other cities.

Because there is NOTHING more pretentious or more attention-seeking.

>Reading a book out in public with the cover showing is attempting to make yourself look individualistic, around people who all consider themselves individuals.
Or maybe the book isn't hardcover and I spend more than two hours each day on a train so when the fuck else am I going to read?
I wish people like you actually said this stuff irl so I could punch your stupid face.

Look mate i have an hour long trip to uni on the train, what else am i meant to do? Waste time on my phone like a fucking normie?

You know you hit a nerve when someone threatens you physical violence online

this

I spend about an hour on a train daily, doing something to pass the time isn't pretentiousness. It may be perceived as so, but it really isn't.

Los Angeles is garbage, one of the worst cities in the country

on long trips (mulitiple hours) sure but short metro trips i just listen to music with earphones and tap my foot to assert my dominance

It is when the problem can be ameliorated by purchasing a Kindle, which is a better choice anyway.

>It's low key condescension, is what it is, even though it sounds silly, even though it shouldn't be the case, it is.

>It's like being unaware of how miserable your attempt at appearing individualistic is because you don't realize these things.

Are you saying that reading in public is an attempt to look an individual or that it is wrongly perceived as so?

It isn't acknowledged on a conscious level, but when you pull up that book and you know people see you reading, you feel it, you know it, you know you look pretentious but you don't want to acknowledge it, even though it is the case, and my description of what society has become is the reason.

Nobody steals books, the same can't be said about kindles

>the problem
There is no problem and never has been. Just a retarded rabbit fishing for (you)'s and some overly self-conscious autists projecting their silly insecurities.

you sound like someone who suffers from agoraphobia

>Nobody steals books

Wrong

Why do you people have these insecure hangups? If I have free time then I'm going to get some reading done. You ever realize you go through life thinking people notice you more than they actually do?

This is not considered a weird thing to do outside of Veeky Forums.

How is being quiet and not looking at anyone attention-seeking?

I read on the bus-stop while waiting for the bus, on which bus I then continue to read until i get to the public library. MIstakingly i'm an hour ealry, and I must then read on its steps until opening time.
Either that or at a nearby restaurant, bar, coffee shop... So, yes, I do read in public.

>not vocalizing along at full volume
beta as fuck

I stole a bunch of books a couple of weeks ago lol

yeah, ebooks are good because I can hold and turn pages with one hand then use the other hand to cling on for dear life

Yes, I started bringing books when I realized my morning commute was around 40 minutes on average.

While someone was publically reading them? I doubt

Are you trying to make a point?

a criminal might steal a kindle from you, but not a book

Just grab it from you in front of bunch of people?

I can understand the fear if you're a woman living in a shithole, nigger infested suburban in America, but otherwise there is no point.

Everybody's too busy staring at their phones to even notice.

>I can understand the fear if you're a woman living in a shithole, nigger infested suburban in America

There are places that make these American shithole suburban places feel safe

>There are places that make these American shithole suburban places feel safe
Places with a higher percentage of the population that's black? You have a point, but personally I can't muster up the effort to care.

>implying """"people"""" in moortugal know how to read anyway

How did you get my nationality?

>living in L.A.
ISHYGDDT

Problem?

>crime-ridden third world shithole
>full of niggers
Easy, it could only be Poortugal.

It could have been any African country or any Latin American country.
How did you get it right though?

Is Veeky Forums really that self conscious they'd get anxiety reading in public when it's perfectly fine for normies to browse Faceberg and Shitter? There's everything wrong with this double standard in society.

I had a laughing explosion upon rereading the term Faceberg. Thank you humorous samaritan.

I like to read on the train, its either that or podcasts.

The people I don't like that read books on transit are the guys that are reading books on how to be a man. They like to look up a lot and see if anyone is looking at them or the book. They need some sort of validation beyond the book designed to validate them.

Yes, with my phone. It's a 6.4" device, so it's comfortable enough to read a few chapters on the go.

>double standard in society
There is no double standard. You shouldn't take socially retarded teenagers' ideas of societal interactions on faith.

Bugs... easy on the carrots.

Definitely. Commuting takes up a chunk of my day. I might as well put it to good use.

It's not just teenagers, I see adults constantly shun books unless it's some shit like Harry Potter or A Song of Ice and Fire if only because they have a big TV show or movie advertising them.

Duh

Most people steal book on their kindle.

who is that semen demon

Looks like Micheal Cera to me

But I am a nerd.

>tfw used to bring books with me on the bus/train
>now I only read on my phone because it's safer if people assume I'm using facebook or something instead
>slowly causes my eyesight to degrade
>keep doing it anyway out of fear of being accosted
I hate you people

>t. jealous illiterate

100%. there's a guy at my uni who always pulls out some shitty scifi novel on the 5 min shuttle bus ride. he also keeps a pencil on his ear and plays the piano in the student lounge

>t. ugly attention-seeking faggot
Here is the attention you wanted.

According to Veeky Forums breathing is pretentious. Merely existing is pretentious. Look at that faggot, he was born at one point! How original and individualistic, you pretentious shit!

Yea pt is great for reading - you don't have to concentrate like when driving a motor.

I read a good chunk of Infinite Jest on the bus/train and got several 'mirin looks. It works you guys.

Yeah, because I ride about an hour on the bus each day.

Public transportation sucks, but if the area you're going to is super inconvenient to park at it makes more sense. I own a car but still take the bus sometimes. Also bus fare is only 50 cents vs. $20 for parking where I'm going.

I've lived in both LA and NYC. They're completely different animals but I like LA a little more. Sure there's less history, but it's also less claustrophobic. I also got tired of New Yorkers blowing themselves about how 'great' New York is when it's mostly just people piled on other people. Just the grocery store lines in NYC are enough to make a person go insane (they sometimes go literally around the store). Also the subway in NYC is mobbed a lot of the time.

LA is such a large area that if you don't like one spot you can move to another and it'll be completely different, more so than moving between Burroughs in NYC. Yeah there's more beaners (depending on the neighborhood), but unline NYC there's less annoying cucks who are obsessed with coffee shops and improv comedy.

>driving a motor
you mean driving a car you fucking mong

Yes

If your commute is more than 20 minutes you should be reading. What the fuck else are you gonna do?

Podcasts. Audio lectures. Music.

>h-haha reading in public is for l-losers
Why must you criticize each other over how others spend time on their hobbies?

*inhales*

You're living a meme you fucking loser. Le tortured artist who inhales amiright? Go back to plebbit and come back when you've grown up.

Umm I'm British dude "motor" is pretty common vernacular in the fishing village called London where I currently reside.