>when you invent postmodernism before modernism has even been invented

Being an incomprehensible mick isn't always pomo, only when Joyce does it

THE SOPHISTS
WERE
POSTMODERNISTS

holy fuck get it through your skulls

how could the ancients be modern

Fuck off, Socrates

Postmodernism is not an 'invention'. It is the state that humans have always been in.

Fuck off, frog.

Premodern and postmodern were the same, actually.

Tristram Shandy is one of the best books ever written.

Excellent take.

>When you still use the term "postmodernism" to describe anything that is even mildly confusing or self-referential

>Joyce
>pomo
Joyce is a founder of modernism, you utter plen

No they were not. Go read Hans Blumenberg pleb.

Correct.

redditors detected

Such great characters in the book, I especially love Uncle Toby.

Cringey subversive teen taste detected. Go back to reading Pynchon, he makes you feel clever.
The father and Toby's relationship really is the sentimental foundation of the novel, and its what grounds the comedy into something thats far more life-affirming than the more cutting and cynical comedy of something like 'Gulliver's Travels.' Personally, I've always loved Yorick.

>Yorick
I saw that he's the main character of Sterne's other work, Sentimental Journey. Is it worth reading?
Also, I wish that less references in Tristram Shandy flew above my head, I'm not really literate.

Experimentation != Pomo

Pomo's experimental tendencies are an affectation, not a defining quality.

>Sentimental Journey. Is it worth reading?
It is a far less ambitious novel, and its also very autobiographical as it was inspired by Sterne's own travels in Europe where he was showered with praise after published Shandy. It is beautifully written and is also a very short read so its well worth your time.
>I wish that less references in Tristram Shandy flew above my head
Some of Sterne's jokes are just so obscure (e. g. 18th Century anatomical textbooks) that you should never feel bad for missing them. I read the Penguin Classics version which gives helpful footnotes to explain a lot, but I'd the say the best way to get more of the jokes is to read John Locke's 'Essay Concerning Human Understanding' as its probably the most frequently referenced work by Sterne. But ultimately, Sterne states many times that he writes mainly to make his reader laugh, so I don't feel too bad when I feel something going over my head because he succeeds so many other times.
A good part from Sentimental Journey:
>SWEET pliability of man’s spirit, that can at once surrender itself to illusions, which cheat expectation and sorrow of their weary moments! — Long — long since had ye number’d out my days, had I not trod so great a part of them upon this enchanted ground; when my way is too rough for my feet, or too steep for my strength, I get off it, to some smooth velvet path which fancy has scattered over with rose-buds of delights; and having taken a few turns in it, come back strengthen’d and refresh’d — When evils press sore upon me, and there is no retreat from them in this world, then I take a new course — I leave it — and as I have a clearer idea of the Elysian fields than I have of heaven, I force myself, like Aeneas, into them — I see him meet the pensive shade of his forsaken Dido — and wish to recognize it — I see the injured spirit wave her head, and turn off silent from the author of her miseries and dishonours — I lose the feelings for myself in her’s — and in those affections which were wont to make me mourn for her when I was at school.
Surely this is not walking in a vain shadow — nor does man disquiet himself in vain by it — he oftener does so in trusting the issue of his commotions to reason only — I can safely say for myself, I was never able to conquer any one single bad sensation in my heart so decisively, as by beating up as fast as I could for some kindly and gentle sensation to fight it upon its own ground.

>not Cervantes
plebeyo total

he isnt the founder of anything you idiot

I would say more a definer than a founder

this board isn't educated or racist enough for you to be griffith fans, so what gives?