What are some of the quotes that changed your life and thinking forever?

What are some of the quotes that changed your life and thinking forever?

Other urls found in this thread:

bartleby.com/318/44.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

"I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

More of an excerpt, but early in The Brothers Karamazov when the elder Zosima explains "active love" to the lady in the chapter "A Lady of Little Faith". I've tried it in my own life and it's had a great impact.

Be brave enough to break your own heart. Cheryl Strayed

this is totally better than that isolationistic egocentrism.

"Proof itself, of any sort, is impossible, without an axiom (as Godel proved). Thus faith in God is a prerequisite for all proof."

holy...

John 1:1 was the line that made all of philosophy click for me

"Nothing matters" -Rick and Morty

"Look at me Morty! I'm PICKLE-RICK" - P. Rick

"En la vida estás solo."
"Nadie te debe nada."

>implying axioms are whimsical and arbitrary
>implying tautologies can't be proven without using god
my feels therefore x is axiomatically true
*proves god*

"Fate guides those who are willing, those who are not, it drags"

"Wir haben's nicht erlebt, wir können's nicht wissen"
said my grandmother when I told her that surely democracy is a more pleasant system to live in than monarchy.

Clicked me for me when i realized it was "logos" not necessarily word

edgy

>You can't use feelings logically
This is why you're a virgin, user.

i may be a virgin, but at least i don't ad hoc invent axioms to support my foundational beliefs.

"I must create a system, or be enslaved by another man's. I will not reason and compare: my business is to create."

While there's life there's hope.

>Every time you leave the house dress as if you were to meat the love of your life
Seems pretty silly and superficial, but it made me realize that I never put myself in situations where I could realistically meat someone else. Ever since I'm trying to look good and dress well and keep my room somewhat clean.

whoa.

Fucking kek what a quote

unironically one of the better quotes in this thread

Egoism=/=egocentrism

Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge, exists without my consent.

Lel who said this patent absurdity?

I would like to see someone prove this wrong.

lol this is so true
but for me it's "Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the world"

How is it absurd?

>What is the greatest thing you can experience? It is the hour of your greatest contempt. The hour in which even your happiness becomes loathsome to you, and so also your reason and virtue.
>The hour when you say: What good is my happiness? It is poverty and filth and wretched contentment. But my happiness should justify existence itself!
>The hour when you say: What good is my reason? Does it long for knowledge as the lion for his prey? It is poverty and filth and wretched contentment!
>The hour when you say: What good is my virtue? It has not yet driven me mad! How weary I am of my good and my evil! It is all poverty and filth and wretched contentment!
>The hour when you say: What good is my justice? I do not see that I am filled with fire and burning coals. But the just are filled with fire and burning coals!
>The hour when you say: What good is my pity? Is not pity the cross on which he is nailed who loves man? But my pity is no crucifixion!
Sometimes I burn with such hatred for my own indolence...and in those moments I know I am not beyond redemption.

based grandma. best thing my grandma taught me was "get your hands out of your ass and do it yourself" I thought I should base a whole book around that sentence

Someone would have to have sex with user for that

>implying you didn't just do that

show me how

"Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate."

>Keep my room somewhat clean

Becuase this is to devorce man's conceptual faculty from existence. Subjects thinking from the objects of thought.

"Nothing of that which is human is alien to me"

>Feelings can't influence axioms
>Feelings are ad hoc
This is why you will continue to be a virgin forever

>Feelings can't influence axioms
Nice ad hoc rationalization

right, all my feelings are axioms while we're at it let's include all cognition (because really they're all phenomenology in the end) and all propositional statements are axioms as well (including contradictions, because i feel like it)

i would tell you to kys but you already committed epistemic suicide :)

>all my feelings
>My
*Our feelings collectively expressed in an objective manner

>When he can't into modality
Just further proof that you can't satisfy women

you surely know that feelings (or intuitions) aren't uniform across all of mankind, they're derived from human nature which is subjective and subject to change between person to person, so what's the threshold where enough people have the same intuitions to decide that it could be axiomatically accepted as self evident?

you're also presupposing an external reality and minds other than yours to justify your axioms, but how do you know they exist in the first place? this is like using neuroscience to prove you aren't a brain in a vat, because you discovered that brains can't survive in vats.

>>When he can't into modality
stop bullying me ;_;

You do realize intermittent motivation or clarity is exactly what Nietzsche is saying is the problem? As in, the very thing making you a lowly person. You don't care until you always care while episodes serve stagnation. If you play at and hope for redemption, you are beyond redemption.

>"Only good has any depth. Good can be radical; evil can never be radical, it can only be extreme for it possesses neither depth nor any demonic dimension yet - and this is it's horror - it can spread like a fungus over the surface of the earth and lay waste the entire world. Evil comes from a failure to think. It defies thought for as soon as thought tries to engage itself with evil and examine the premises and principles from which it originates, it is frustrated because it finds nothing there. That is the banality of evil."

>logos = truth more or less
>in the beginning there was the truth, and the truth was with god, and the truth was god
Holy fucking shit dude I kinda get it a little now

>meat the love of your life

there is a bible in the drawer to keep you from sinning. there is a lock on the window to keep you from jumping. there is a black cloud in the sky to keep you from winning, but there are drinks on the house, so here is to new beginnings.

>Beatitude through suffering is an illusion, since it requires a reconciliation to the fatality of pain in order to avoid total annihilation.

"Procrastination is not only the theif of time, its the theif of lives"

gottem

nah. logos can mean story, word, reasoning, speech...not truth. truth is more like the word alethia.

>Live with your century; but do not be its creature.
Friedrich Schiller

>Imaginary evil is romantic and varied; real evil is gloomy, monotonous, barren, boring. Imaginary good is boring; real good is always new, marvelous, intoxicating
Simone Weil

"Be just and if you can't be just be arbitrary"

Samefag.

'In conditions of peace, the warlike man attacks himself.

Cuidado con el borde

I can't remember the words exactly, but it's completely changed how I confront problems. The idea is: If you can change something, do so; Otherwise, there is no point in getting anxious. Call it simplistic, but it blew my mind when I first learned it, and continues to do so even now. When coupled with analytical thinking skills, you're basically equipped for anything life throws at you.

Nice picks.

I liked these.

"The act is virgin, even repeated."

What was that "active love"? I've read Bros K but don't remember that

You can withdraw from the sufferings of the world -- that possibility is open to you and accords with your nature -- but perhaps that withdrawal is the only suffering you might be able to avoid.

Sounds like Epictetus, though he means a bit more than this it's sorta the gist
"... if it relates to anything that's not in our power be ready to reply in turn 'you are nothing to me'"

From which chapter is this from?
I don't remember it.

Veteran dynamite

curious: was the mistyping of "meat" for "meet" intentional for comic effect or are you really just that dumb?

"Choose a job you love and you will never work a day of your life." -Confucius

how do i use this against someone

Stop being a bitch ass nigga. Thus spoke Zarathustra.- Nietzsche

bartleby.com/318/44.html

line 100

These reasonings are unconnected: "I am richer than you, therefore I am better"; "I am more eloquent than you, therefore I am better." The connection is rather this: "I am richer than you, therefore my property is greater than yours;" "I am more eloquent than you, therefore my style is better than yours." But you, after all, are neither property nor style.

Does anyone bathe in a mighty little time? Don't say that he does it ill, but in a mighty little time. Does anyone drink a great quantity of wine? Don't say that he does ill, but that he drinks a great quantity. For, unless you perfectly understand the principle from which anyone acts, how should you know if he acts ill? Thus you will not run the hazard of assenting to any appearances but such as you fully comprehend.

>The secret of being a bore is to tell everything

-Voltaire

I don't see how feelings could be generated without being in response to an initial event, and if they're born of that then surely that makes them ad hoc in the first instance at least.

I find it odd that someone who sounds like a denizen of Mt. Rectitude feels the need to couch something they apparently regards as self-evident in memes and personal attacks.

>inb4 bants

"It's not your present circumstances which count, but the circumstances you make your mind to achieve that are important" ~ Earl Nightingale

Nice

>"I admit that twice two makes four is an excellent thing, but if we are to give everything its due, twice two makes five is sometimes a very charming thing too."
This isn't much of an epigram, but gives me goosebumps whenever I read it:
>Buoyed up by that coffin, for almost one whole day and night, I floated on a soft and dirgelike main. The unharming sharks, they glided by as if with padlocks on their mouths; the savage sea-hawks sailed with sheathed beaks. On the second day, a sail drew near, nearer, and picked me up at last. It was the devious-cruising Rachel, that in her retracing search after her missing children, only found another orphan.
And finally:
>“You see there’s leaders, and there’s followers, but I’d rather be a dick than a swallower”

"She got a big booty so I call her big booty." -2 Chainz

What type of axiom is this built off of

upon a golden HOBBY HORSE which-if you'll allow me, dear friend- rocked to and fro in such a peculiar motion to the posterior and anterior, that there was, by the by, not so much an infefior motion in the entire house- quoth my brother Dicksucker-which postualted a great throbbing MEMBER, which upon the papal HOBBYHORSE, did postualte to and fro in a most odd, italiante, giacomo-ite manner, dear reader

laurence sterne

"Do you read sutter cane?"

logos is the root word of logic
so i would say its more like reason,articulated knowledge,speech,abstraction

Animals, are pure beings. Human beings, are pure animals.

The scene where he comforts the grieving mother, I tear up even thinking about it.

..the real thing, the sequence of motion and fact which made the emotion and would be as valid in a year or in 10 years or, with luck and if you stated it purely enough, always...

"It is like a finger pointing to the Moon, do not focus on the finger or you will miss all of the Heavenly Glory."

Todos morimos solos, vivimos juntos pero morimos solos.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

kek

'The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.' - Marcus Aurelius

>without an axiom (as Godel proved)
holy...why don't people understand Godel?

Life moves on, whether we act as cowards or heroes. Life has no other discipline to impose, if we would but realize it, than to accept life unquestioningly. Everything we shut our eyes to, everything we run away from, everything we deny, denigrate or despise, serves to defeat us in the end. What seems nasty, painful, evil, can become a source of beauty, joy, and strength, if faced with an open mind. Every moment is a golden one for him who has the vision to recognize it as such.

Henry Miller

I think I've never read anything that reasonated less with me in my entire life.

He's saying that a man without an outlet to release his anger will destroy himself out of lack of a more worthy target.

Basically, get a hobby or join the military, and kick ass if your will commands it.

"And no wonder you people need saving, similar to the wagon whose wheels have broken down in the meandering mountain path, you christcucks resort to the modern version of smoke signals to call for help, in the current year theae take the form of your moral grandstanding, condemning those who desire, those who with hard work temper their character to see their wills manifest before their eyes, going so far as to call this worthy quest nothing but “greed", "lust" or even "gut urges”.

I find it funny in a very sublime way, so much so that I can’t help but to chuckle at it. And is to these very same people who are convinced of their holy purpose, more compelled that any other to prove their virtues that I say, than even after creating the aggregated sum of all the kindness they have bestowed onto strangers by following the gospel of their holy book, they still fall short and simply cannot compare to the absolute bliss I’m able to provide to a girl in a night of frivolous pursuit. With a single swift thrust of my hips, their entire lives up to that point validated; my meat rod falls upon them, striking their soft flesh like the whip of the very same Martin Luther during his daily session of self-flagellation, and much like the pain freed him from the guilt of his past sins, the pleasure of my instrument quickly wipes away their feelings of shame and self-loathing."

- Some user on /r9k/.

Why should the race always be to the swift, or the Jumble to the quick-witted? Should they be allowed to win merely because of the gifts God gave them?
Well I say, "Cheating is the gift man gives himself." - Max Stirner

>a single quote changing your life and/or thinking forever
shiggy diggy brainlets