Graphic Novels

Why are they not considered literature?

Because they are a visual medium. Do you consider movies literature?

Well with that logic what about plays? We read the works of Shakespeare's and that's a visual medium

They can be literary though.

And Graphic Novels can not? Have you not read Persepolis?

True enough, and film scripts have been discussed for their literary merits. And graphic novels have scripts, too. But the final project is still a visual medium, even if it has heavy narration.

Literature is about the art of language.

Isn't the art of language suppose to contstruct imagery in your head, the descriptions and ideas, it can all be visualize. So why not put graphic novels on the same field of literature if they complete that step already

Because they're their own artform, sequential art

like how certain movies are art, some graphic novels are literature. in both cases, the number is exceedingly small

you see words with your eyes though. and language poetry relies heavily on layout and the structure from an aesthetic point of view. things can overlap you know, you listen to films that doesn't make them music but they incorporate music!

i hate graphic novels btw, but for a different reason. they leave nothing to audience imagination, autistic need to show every thought feeling action etc in little gay panels.

Practically speaking, they exist in this weird middle ground between written and visual communication. In essence, however, all they require is visuals (see Weathercraft or Age of Reptiles). Akin to how some films are primarily theatrical in execution, but still considered cinema because of the formal elements (editing and camera motion) which define the latter medium.

This, isn't this the crux of the matter when it comes to comics/graphic novels? It's the art that makes them what they are, and could they stand alone without that art? No, but drama like Shakespeare stands up very well even if you don't see it performed.

But all the energy in a graphic novel is poured into the imagery and the story. There is no focus on prose.

Because they're for children.

So Plays which live through enactment are Not Literature?

Plays are regularly enjoyed for soley their words, comics are not. How many comic scripts do you see for sale out there? How many manchildren who consume this shit would actually read it?

A Moore script book would probably be great, actually, he gives excessive description of everything with little jokes/asides that only appear in the "stage directions" as it were.

I suppose something like that would be an exception.

Because literature has a maximum limit of eight pictures per book that can directly affect the plot. This is the industry standard. Nine pictures which affect the plot is a graphic novel and goes to another department. The counter is then allowed to heap on lots more pictures, but is regulated to how many words are being used to affect plot. The balancer then comes along and makes sure that no highbrow elements have been added into the GN. This person is also the same that looks over the typography of the novels to make sure no ideograms exist that may affect the work. Usually with a ruler, the text is also measured to see if the current of words are not building up in certain paragraphs, or flowing in some zany right to left or up and down manner. Not that this would affect much, but one reading of say a masterwork of Hegel's and you'll notice his intended paragraph structure is sacred - which is why we have balancers in the first place.

the comic book section of my local book store gets larger every year

there's no longer a specific crime fiction section it was taken over by comics

This is such a mess of categories holy shit.

Your post didn't even make me exhale through my nose.