/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

Assertive Males Edition
>Post the best non beta sff protagonist you ever read
>What is the last non assertive sff mc you read (so others can avoid)
>Last sff book where the mc got his potential other taken away by an assertive male (Chad)

FANTASY
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21329.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21328.jpg
Flowchart:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21327.jpg

SCIENCE FICTION
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg
NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg
SF&F author listing with ratings and summaries (incomplete, mostly pre-Millenium):
>greatsfandf.com/authors-full-list.php

Previously:

botns

Who is your favorite Mars trilogy character?

nigger

Coyote WAS pretty great, wasn't he. I find the idea of stowaways on multibillion dollar science missions to uninhabited worlds very interesting.

I just finished all of the old man's war series. I find Scalzi is pretty damn enjoyable. He also has another one called redshirts that's out of the series but it's pretty good.

is terry pratchett long earth worth of reading?

The first one is pretty good, with diminishing returns for the sequels (though I only read up to Long Mars, so maybe they pick up afterward).

Excerpt from CAS' The Seven Geases, a wry, weird, and very misanthropic subterranean travelogue from Hyperborea. Here, a wealthy magistrate on a game hunting trip has unwittingly interrupted an old sorceror's invocations at his remote mountainside abode.

--

"May the ordure of demons bemire you from heel to crown!" cried the venomous ancient. "O lumbering, bawling idiot! you have ruined a most promising and important evocation. How you came here I cannot imagine. I have surrounded this place with twelve circles of illusion, whose effect is multiplied by their myriad intersections; and the chance that any intruder would ever find his way to my abode was mathematically small and insignificant. Ill was that chance which brought you here: for They that you have frightened away will not return until the high stars repeat a certain rare and quickly passing conjunction; and much wisdom is lost to me in the interim."

"How now, varlet!" said Ralibar Vooz, astonished and angered by this greeting, of which he understood little save that his presence was unwelcome to the old man. "Who are you that speak so churlishly to a magistrate of Commoriom and a cousin to King Homquat? I advise you to curb such insolence: for, if so I wish, it lies in my power to serve you even as I serve the Voormis. Though methinks," he added, "your pelt is far too filthy and verminous to merit room amid my trophies of the chase."

"Know that I am the sorcerer Ezdagor," proclaimed the ancient, his voice echoing among the rocks with dreadful sonority. "By choice I have lived remote from cities and men; nor have the Voormis of the mountain troubled me in my magical seclusion. I care not if you are the magistrate of all swinedom or a cousin to the king of dogs. In retribution for the charm you have shattered, the business you have undone by this oafish trespass, I shall put upon you a most dire and calamitous and bitter geas."

"You speak in terms of outmoded superstition," said Ralibar Vooz, who was impressed against his will by the weighty oratorical style in which Ezdagor had delivered these periods.

The old man seemed not to hear him.

"Harken then to your geas, O Ralibar Vooz," he fulminated. "For this is the geas, that you must cast aside all your weapons and go unarmed into the dens of the Voormis; and fighting bare-handed against the Voormis and against their females and their young, you must win to that secret cave in the bowels of Voormithadreth, beyond the dens, wherein abides from eldermost eons the god Tsathoggua. You shall know Tsathoggua by his great girth and his batlike furriness and the look of a sleepy black toad which he has eternally. He will rise not from his place, even in the ravening of hunger, but will wait in divine slothfulness for the sacrifice. And, going close to Lord Tsathoggua, you must say to him: "I am the blood-offering sent by the sorcerer Ezdagor.' Then, if it be his pleasure, Tsathoggua will avail himself of the offering."

I just got an audible trial, Recommend me a book to use my free credit on please.

I like sci-fi and fantasy movies and TV but haven't read many books, so some absolute classic that hasn't been adapted to screen would be perfect.

>Name of the Wind has an unreliable narrator
>This makes it bad
>Book of the New Sun has it
>"Oh my gosh I love Severian the bland edgelord, his bedazzled sword, a giant pale women getting tortured by mystical light, everyone and their mother secretly being someone else, and two grown men throwing leaves at one another."

It's more that Name of the Wind uses the unreliable narrator concept poorly

Just finished the southern reach trilogy and thought it was decent, first 2 books I really liked but the third was weak imo. Is Vandermeer's other stuff worth reading? Borne has very high reviews

No it doesn't. If you had any backing for that you'd just say what you mean instead of vague "I don't like it so it's bad".

This is Gene turf, fuck off

>>Name of the Wind has an unreliable narrator
I've yet to see any evidence for that.

>>Book of the New Sun has it
Not giving all information immediately doesn't make a narrator unreliable.

Severian says he has an eidetic memory, and yet he forgets things at least 3 times in the first half of SotT alone. Lying like that is exactly what we mean when we talk about unreliability.

What does he forget?

SotT chapter 7:
>I tried to recall what her meal had been (she had put the tray on her little table, where I could not see its contents through the grill). I could not, though I nearly burst my brain with the effort. At last I said lamely, "You'd probably better eat it. But I think you can get better food if you ask Drotte."

He carries a tray of food to her, then she puts it where he can't see it, and suddenly he can't remember what was in the tray, despite presumably looking at the tray when he picked it up.

Thanks. I'd have to read it in context to see whether he actually looked at it, it's been a couple years.

Is there a list of such things somewhere?

Probably somewhere, but I wouldn't know.

>classic
I was going to recommend Library at mount char ... But you want classics.

Saw this Virgil Finlay illustration and couldn't resist.

The Long Utopia is pretty good, better than the rest of the sequels. Cosmos was meh.

Be honest with me sffg. Do you think I would make a good mother?

>Be honest with me sffg. Do you think I would make a good mother (male)?

A mom is a mom

Just bought pic related, how'd I do?

I thought this was Songs in the Key of Life from the thumbnail

Naw.

Sauce?

Man i wish i had a family like that
>tfw 25yrold khv

I'm not sure how much Sanderson is loved or hated here, but I've been listening to the first two books again in the Stormlight Archive and damn I'm excited for the third come November.
Certain chapters I absolutely hate Shallan though. Just lying and being a little shit. Might have to do with the fact I don't like how her voice actor voices here as well, though. She sounds like a robot at times

I'm very new to Science Fiction and just finished Neuromancer, is there any more Gibson I should read?

If you really loved Neuromancer, read the sequels, and his other series have broadly similar styles and themes, otherwise no.

I listened to the Neuromancer audiobook a couple times and a lot was lost on me. I then read the book and enjoyed it much more.

I recently read, "All Tomorrow's Parties" and really enjoyed it. I think his style and themes would get old after a while, but I'll try some of the Neuromancer sequels.

waldo rabbit book 3 as audiobook when?
REEEEEEEEE

Oh shallan is the fucking worst. I skipped all of her chapters and just read the Kallan or whoever's chapters, interspersed w/ the occasional dalaran

>reading a canticle for leibowitz and it's dull as fuck in comparison to book of the new sun, which I just finished
does this make me a brainlet or a patrician

Everything seems dull coming off BotNS. Give it time.

I was ignored last thread so I'll ask again :^)

Are there any books like the text game Corruption of Champions? Like a fantasy world full of deviant sex stuff?

wild wastes
good intentions
daniel black

>good intentions
>roperty, portrayals of beings divine and demonic bearing little or no resemblance to established religion or mythology, trespassing, bad language, sacrilege, blasphemy, attempted murder, arguable murder, divinely mandated murder, justifiable murder, filthy murder, sexual promiscuity, kidnapping, attempted rape, arson, dead animals, desecrated graves, gang activity, theft, assault and battery, panties, misuse of the 911 system, fantasy depictions of sorcery and witchcraft, multiple references to various matters of fandom, questionable interrogation tactics, cell phone abuse, reckless driving, consistent abuse of vampires (because they deserve it), even more explicit sexuality, illegal use of firearms within city limits, polyamory, abuse of authority, hit and run driving, destruction of private property, underage drinking, disturbances of the peace, disorderly conduct, internet harassment, bearers of false witness, mayhem, dismemberment, falsification of records, tax evasion, an uncomfortably sexy mother, bad study habits, and a very silly white guy inappropriately calling another white guy “nigga” (for which he will surely suffer).

BUENO

to elaborate
wild wastes is about a guy building a harem of monstergirls that want his dick at every opportunity
good intentions is about a guy who ends up having an angel and a succubus magically bound and fall in love with him both of them encourage him to fuck around every chance he gets.
daniel black as a about a nerd becoming a wizard and making his own coven while also fucking every relevant female character including monster girls and witches.

Thank you friend, I just hope they're not too anime

daniel black is the really anime one.
i actually recommend the audiobooks of wild wastes and good intentions.
both are read by women and it really adds to the flavor.

Fimbulwinter ?

its the first in the daniel black series.
good intentions has 3 books. and wild wastes has 2 so far and its hinted at a 3rd.

>Guy gets cucked in the first pages

yeah its really the only bad thing that happens though. its sort of his "bad" luck thing that starts all the crazy stuff happening.
at some point hes actually doing some cucking.

That one Jose Farmer book

Am I blind, is my noscript blocking shit, do you need to be logged in, or is there just no way to see more than 50 results on goodreads? It says (showing 1-50 of 1,250), why is this site so shit.

looks that the /shelves/ page only shows top 50 or something? With no option for others? Go to other parts of browse or peoples lists

Lovely, beginning reads like an intro to some virgin loser's MGTOW manifesto...
The author must really be pathetic

sometimes you just need a way to experience fantasies. nothing wrong with that user.
beats going on a mass-raping spree or some school shooting, dont you think?

I was listening to "the core" of the demon cycle and there was some character called derek. And i don't fucking remember him at all. Who was that and in which book

What are some of your favorite works of SFFG?

>tfw hiatus

Will audiobooks eventually be the bane of physical copies?

No. It takes a whole lot longer to listen to an audiobook than it does to read a book for most people. I can gt through text four or five times faster than an audiobook.

Where do you find new release ebooks to download?
Looking for Miles Cameron - The Fall of Dragons

I fuckin refuse to pay the same price as the paperback and the paperback isn't released yet.

And if anyone is looking for a new series I highly recommend the Traitor Son Cycle.

Looking forward to Oathbringer. But fuck, the start of the series is boring as fuck. Turns around though.

Fuck Shallan, gimme them Kaladin and bridge chapters.

Retard

How standalone is Assassin's Apprentice? I won't have time to read the two other books in the trilogy for a while, it it worth to read it now or should I wait?

It's the first act of what is essentially one story. The series is a trilogy of trilogies with each act covering a different part of FitzChivalry's life.

So basically, I should wait until I can read the whole trilogy and not just 1 book?

Man you have to get their names straight rofl. Kaladin and Dalinar*. But yeah I usually go through her chapters at 140% reading speed ugh
Of course not. I only listen to some books I can't be assed reading and I can do it while walking to and from uni. I'm still reading Malazan, Gentlemen Bastards and several others. But now when there's a shit ton to do at school I don't have the time to properly read so I mostly read during christmas break etc.
The start of the new book? I haven't been reading the chapters that's been released. Yeah fugg I'm hyped.
If they end up bringing Shallan and Kaladin together though I'll be fucking mad. I'd ahte that

...wow

Catering to Reddit sensibilities: the book.

>hugo award finalist
>finalist

It's the typical male power fantasy with some guy just getting really hot chicks to fuck him constantly while he has godlike powers.
They're really pathetic in real life so they have to use fantasy to delude themselves

How is that retarded? The ebook was released on the 19th. Paperback comes out on the 31st.

Nah the start of the first book. I found the intro a bit boring, but once the real story started I was hooked.
Haven't read any of the chapters. I'll read the whole thing instead.

Yeah I really hope they don't get together, but I don't think they will. I want to find out where the Ghostbloods story is heading, and Shen? Can't remember his name. The pershendi that joined bridge 4.

Fuck off samefag

You're over the age of 18 but don't even know how to pirate things or find out sources where to pirate from?
Typical normie

Oh yeah, true. Same here. I'm really curious to see where Sanderson is gonna take this story through 10 books.
Oh yeah damn. He just left the bridge crew in WoR I'm listening to now. As long as Shallan stops lying to herself and the other main characters I'll be happy reading her parts

Blindsight is most likely going to be the best science fiction novel of the 2010s

2000s, I am a little surprised to say. Felt like it's been around for a lot less.

I have absolutely no idea how this will end with another 8 books to come out.
But I bet it'll be nothing like the first 2.

What should i read next?
Hobb`s Farseer Trilogy or Lawrence`s Prince of Nothingness Trilogy?

Is it true, that Hobb writes epistolary style? I dont know if ill like that. Also, is it true that the Prince of Nothingness is edgy as fuck?

Im stupid...its prince of thorns, not nothingness

Prince of Thorns is a really bad book and its only merit is its shock value. If you're really into GRI it might be for you but otherwise you should really avoid it.

>an uncomfortably sexy mother

What's a good fantasy book by a new author, published in the last five years or so?

And no stupid litrpg anime shit please, like an actual book by an actual author.

Farseer

City of Stairs

Main character of Prince of Thorns does not appear to have a conscience, he'll do just about anything to achieve his goals. He's also super ambitious,so the shit he pulls off can get really crazy sometimes. The books are also pretty short and are quick to read too. The storytelling is non-linear and can be a little disorienting at times, with trying to figure out when the events taking place occur in relation to one another because it's not always clear what is a memory and what is happening right now. This is a style that Lawrence uses in pretty much all his books, though it's especially pronounced in his first trilogy.

But yeah if you find characters who murder without remorse and who apparently enjoy violence to be unpalatable the you'll probably not enjoy Prince of Thorns.

I can't find any of jack vances demon prince books in epub on libgen or b-ok
All I ask for is an epub where the original text hasn't been destroyed after a conversion and then uploaded
I thought jv was popular?

Yeah I'm wondering if that's when all of Cosmere will come together. Speaking of that, I'm pretty excited for the last Mistborn as well. At least for this trilogy. There's two more to come lol

Isn't that pic drawn by incase? with his elf tranny series?

Maybe? Stories were usually transferred orally by the fire, or by some bard faggot recounting it.
We might go back to the days of ole with oral retention. Major Doubt

The Second Apocalypse

any good sci-fi stuff about falling in love with ayylums? maybe a first contact kind of deal?

God, Lift is such a shitty character. Getting through Edgedancer is a chore.
I really hope she is very little in Oathbringer.

Apparently she has matured / leveled up by a degree by the time we see her again in the main books.

No? They are still very niche and are mainly just for people with bad vision. I can't imagine very many people who like SFF books are the type who retain information better while listening than reading, since people who like books tend to be visually oriented and better at retaining information by reading.

I found her funny. Sanderson did a passingly good job writing a little kid's perspective, but it would be quite tiring to sit through a whole book of Lift chapters.

Do you want smut or an actual story?

If actual story than check out Foreigner, it's about a man I, despite being a communist, consider a race traitor.

i dont really dislike smut honestly but story should be the forefront.
i guess im fine with either.