The Bible, Intro To God

What do you litfags think about the bible?

I believe in God.

God-tier desu

Worship comfort and when its taken from you you feel like dying. Worship money and when you lose it you feel like you have nothing. Worship control and when you lose it you'll lose your mind.

Worship God, and no one can take Him away from you.

A very interesting piece, im reading through the old testament right now, but I'd say in terms of literary merits, it doesn't come close to the greek epics.

I hate this piece of shit reddit filled board.

Wish it was written better, imagine if the same stories would have been composed by Homer, that would truly be god tier. Dante and Milton did a good job but could never be canonical

Bless you, I'll pray for you.

Most people have never read it, most people don't understand Christian theology.

T.athiest

I like the Old Testament stories about the different judges and kings. I like the Gospels.

I'm not as big a fan of the prophet books though. There's some good parts, but it gets kinda boring when they take the time to talk about how each foreign civilization is going to get fucked up. Also, I'm not a huge fan of Genesis.

After the Pentateuch, the major prophets are by far the best part of the Old Testament. The historical sections are the dry parts.

>implying "Fuck you Egypt, fuck you Babylon, fuck you Cush, etc." is less dry than:
>David taking on Goliath
>David on the run from Saul
>David having to put down a rebellion led by one of his sons
>All the shit that happened in 1 and 2 Kings
>Ehud assassinating a king
>a judge having to sacrifice his daughter because he made a promise to God
>Joshua conquering Canaan

Dante>Homer.
By a very, very good margin.

My faith in Jesus is likely why I play healer in fantasy mmo's, desu.

I agree but imagine if Dante actually composed the canonical biblical scripture

Would be similar overall but with better composition. Except for Job, Ecclesiastes and Ecclesiastics, these would be entirely reworked into allegories and metaphors instead of straitforward messages.
With Homer everything would remain as straightforward, but dialogue in the historical parts would be noticeably made up.

the book of job gives a complete account of every perspective on western civilisation

>"lol you can't understand suffering because God is so high above you" explains all of Western history and culture

Are you this dumb?

It's absolutely essential reading. I've read it with multiple translations, read plenty of commentary and texts along with it. I've studied it under priests along with seminarians. Honestly a rich understanding of it has had a lot of benefits for me. Unfortunately the one thing I haven't gotten from it is faith.

It makes me happy.

>one post giving a reasonable literary opinion and another that sounds like something shared by old ladies on facebook
How are these reddit?

You have to go back.

The bible is useful for salvation and sanctification, if properly understood.
Of course as literature it is also of the highest order.

>Of course as literature it is also of the highest order
The KJV yes but the OT content is lacking relative to world mythology

Except people who understand theodicy

This, the prophets have their moments but they're mostly boring hardasses who hate anyone that disagrees with them, sorry, with God.

sick of 8gag schizos flooding the literature board with shit threads

How? He's anonymous. Are you gonna refer to him as "10174273" in your prayer?

Very good propaganda for handing over the money supply to Hebrew vermin desu.

I think Job is incredible. Poetry and Prose blended with both message and story.

>When they reached the place God had told him about, Abraham built an altar there and arranged the wood on it. He bound his son Isaac and laid him on the altar, on top of the wood. Then he reached out his hand and took the knife to slay his son. The knife was made of bronze, forged in the fires of Hades by the angel Gabriel, Satan smasher. Wrapped in dry boar skin, it was used in the killing of many kings and generals. God used this very knife when he chopped down the tree of life, Eve's own tree. O, pray for him who is cut by this knife. Abraham took his knife.

the Gospels are the best part, Jesus is one of the greatest figures in literature

Old Testament is bested treated as a history book rather than something to entertain

>reddit
>christian

pick one

God is omniscient you fucking mong. He already knows who he is. People worry me with their idiocy sometimes.

Except the jews turn out to be the bad guys, retard.

>Treating the Pentateuch as history

Seriously?