Would having some kind of weekly/monthly readings Veeky Forums direct the discussion away from memes and shitposts...

Would having some kind of weekly/monthly readings Veeky Forums direct the discussion away from memes and shitposts? Or at least focus them onto a topic

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/19JXmBCzJEGDpQFLl9kGdFr8AQVMLCRBIiu8LMRP8kzs/edit?usp=sharing
goodreads.com/group/show/224779-history-of-philosophy
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

There have been attempts at this in the past but they all went south. I'd be up for it though.

Yeah I think most fizzle after the first few chapters, it would make a lot more sense to do an article/summary/short story instead of War and Peace/Moby Dick/Bible

I'm up for it. I think you'd have to make the titles broadly accessible, but most of the non-memesters and non-shit posters here seem to be relatively intelligent.

It's been tried so many times and it never works. Most people just aren't going to do the reading, even if you make the schedule really generous.

It could be that the more time you give people the less likely it is that they will do the readings at all. The schedules should be tighter but the readings should also be cut into smaller chunks.

he Veeky Forums discord is literally the only place that actually finishes reading groups and it's usually just 2-3 people at most
Veeky Forums doesn't read

BBBBBBBBBBRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

newfag

>why won't my internet friends read books with me??
do you guys realize how pathetic you sound?

here's what you do:
you read book.
you research book.
you dump all spoonfeeding lecture course you come up with and answer questions on book.

all the other attempts fail because they're waiting for someone else to show up and do those ahead of everyone else. there's no messiah coming for you except yourself. unless you troll someone into visiting an act of god upon you and descending to tell you how and why you are a pleb and need to get more than three chapters in by tonight. those are rare though.

I actually feel bad for you, you're projecting hard. How could I feel embarassed about wanting to discuss and analyze literature/philosophy with the few other people who share that interest.

you should feel embarrassed that you don't have any friends in real life you autistic frogman. No one here shares that interest, hence this meta circlejerk thread.

If you weren't so stupi that could get into a good university you'd realize many people actually enjoy discussing literature, at a level you wouldn't even understand.

TLDR you're a pseud and a lonely pathetic faggot who probably will cry and jerk himself off alone until he dies.

>you should feel embarrassed that you don't have any friends
Hardly anyone reads lit/phil for fun, all my friends are into sports and women, why should I be embarassed about having normal friends
>No one here shares that interest
That's what this board is.
>you're a pseud and a lonely pathetic faggot
I hate to accuse strangers of projecting but that is exactly what is happening. I'm not in uni, I work a trade and spend 11hrs a week of the past 4yrs at a boxing gym that I compete out of (amateur). I've had a life long interest in humanities, but none of my friends and acquaintances are into literature, history or philosophy.

I could probably kick your ass you self deluding concussed lonely faggot

It might be motivating if we were working towards something more permanent like a Veeky Forums review of the book in question. Perhaps what this concept suffers from is lack of a clear goal. This approach might counter that.

I'm not gonna give away my home gym but I'm at WA Ivans mma 7pm tues thurs. Name starts with a J, come by and we can find out, or talk about literature. Either way stop derailing this thread with your insecurity

the only permanent thing is the memes and the copypastas

ok

That's a good idea, or maybe a specific philosopher, instead of assigning chapters just give people a month to research Kant then reconvene

The Veeky Forums format and culture are simply not compatible with rational discourse. The anonymity creates no incentive to behave like a normal person, and every attempt at a somewhat serious post will get 10 >niggers and jews and memerson and harris posts for every serious reply. Because more posts=further up the thread-order, longer, more time consuming and less "accessible" posts will just get relegated to page 10, and who wants to spend time writing something that will be deleted in an hour or two anyways? The Veeky Forums demographic doesn't help either, 18-24 year old insecure neets acting edgy on a taiwanese sock knitting forum in order to run away from their loneliness and inability to build actual human relations. Just look at this thread, an attempt to create actual discussion of books end up in
>I could probably kick your ass you self deluding concussed lonely faggot

Take it for what it is, enjoy the shitposting and memes. If you want to discuss books, start a meetup-group, old fashioned book club, take some literature classes at a university and find friends with similar interest.

Veeky Forums has made books though. It can absolutely be done.

Give me an essay topic, preferably about something lit likes to debate, and I'll write it up. Also preferably no philosophy. If a small number of people also did this, it would help the board a lot.

What if we start with the Greeks and go through the major literary and philosophical figures down through the 20th century? Or we could just do philosophy--but both is fine too. I would be willing to organize something like this.

>Give me an essay topic, preferably about something lit likes to debate, and I'll write it up.
I like this idea

The first thing to do would be to figure out who to include and who to leave out. Come up with some method of creating a reading list. Do we read Plato and Aristotle and then skip to Descartes, or do we take out time and read Plotinus and Confessions, and move into a little Scholastic philosophy before hand? IT's not like we would have to read the entire Summa, Peter Kreeft has a well-like abridgment called Summa of the Summa, which is what I've been planning to read when I get to Aquinas (along with his short work "On Being and Essence").

I've actually been thinking of putting together a group like this for a while now. I few months a go I took the "start with the Greeks" plunge and have since read the majority of Plato, some Aristotle, and some Copleston (would be good material to read alongside the primary material, along with Kenny). I had been thinking of starting a Goodreads group, but hosting it on here is a vaible option, or maybe even both somehow, starting threads on here but linking there. We could link from here to there but not there to here, and let the two spaces develop there own particular personalities.

Here is a list I made some time ago when I was playing around with start a philosophy reading group. If we do literature too, I think we should run in concurrently, rather than one at a time.

docs.google.com/document/d/19JXmBCzJEGDpQFLl9kGdFr8AQVMLCRBIiu8LMRP8kzs/edit?usp=sharing

It would be cool, but maybe "cover the entire western canon" is a bit ambitious? Most people would get fed up half way into Aistoltes metaphysics.

I'm really thinking more of covering just the philosophical cannon and skipping quite a bit in the process. It probably won't work out no matter how much we dumb it down, but I feel a drive to try anyway.

The alternative would be to find smaller and more specific area to cover and then take it form there.

I think this idea would help the project; by creating a smaller but more specific and achievable goal we'll get at least a small external purpose and people will have something to work towards.

Okay, smaller and more specific. There are three areas that I think would be interesting to dig deeply into.
1. A deep study of Greek philosophy, including Plato, Aristotle, and Neo-Platonism.
2. German Idealism, from Kant to Hegel.
3. Phenomenology, with a special emphasis on Heidegger, including reading his lecture courses up to and including Being and Time.

I would prefer something like this, and I personally like your themes, especially phenomenology. We could also specify our area by topic rather than period/movement, e.g. philosophy of mind, ethics (deontology vs virtue ethics vs consequentialism vs Nietzsche) to mix it up a bit.

But that's my take, other people might want a broader approach.

The phenomenology option is also the one I like the most from these three. We could read a few works from Husserl usually considered good introductory material: Cartesian Meditations, Ideas I, and Crisis of European Sciences. Then we could jump into Heidegger and read his lecture courses up to Being and Time followed by a few his major works posterior to Being and Time (Basic Writing, Kant and the Problem of Metaphysics, Introduction to Metaphysics, What is a Thing?, What is Called Thinking?). We would probably also want to read Merleau-Ponty's Phenomenology of Perception.

I've always been interested in how Greek, christian and enlightenment thought ties together, how you can trace the genealogy of certain intellectual movements.
I finally took a writing class this quarter and that will be my research paper topic, I'll start with the links between Neo-Platonism and Aristotelianism has with the Christianity, I'll be looking for and posting some good sources, articles and essays if anyone is interested.

Could start the topic via a thread here then use another platform to discuss it idk just spitballing, I'm not to keen on
>start a meetup-group, old fashioned book club, take some literature classes at a university
so this is one of the few places were I can find honest intellectual discussion

This is closer to my original aim. I wanted to read through the Greeks down to the NeoPlatonist and then read stuff like Augustine, Psuedo-D, and Boethius to see how Neo-Platonism is transposed into Christian philosophy. Then move from Christian philosophy to Early Modernism, ie Enlightenment philosophy--but nwo, crucially, with the context of Greek and Christian philosophy, and then moving onto the critics of Enlightenment. That was the basic idea behond this reading list:

Sure it would take years to do and maybe a reading group wouldn't last that long, but hey, even if we only read some of the Greeks and stopped, what would it really hurt? And if we kept going, how cool would that be?

Yeah that's something we could do. Start a goodreads group and then make topics linking to it on here. Of course that sort of bifurcates the discussion, but, in a way, I think that could sort of be interesting. Veeky Forums and Goodreads have very differnet qualities. The Goodreads page would help to keep the thing above water though and give it stability over time, allowing it space to grow rather than wither away and die from lack of visibility through board traffic. Over time the audience might grow and it could turn into something. Who knows?

goodreads.com/group/show/224779-history-of-philosophy
I went ahead and made a group. What do you all think? We can start by reading Parmenides and Heraclitus, and then move on to Plato?

Fuck it sure, I'll make an account and join tommorow, that's atleast 2 or 3

War And Peace is annually being discussed here during late autumn/early winter.

>Psychological projection is a theory in psychology in which humans defend themselves against their own unconscious impulses or qualities (both positive and negative) by denying their existence in themselves while attributing them to others.

Sounds like fun, I'm in if we manage to recruit a larger group.