Books like Dark Souls?

Feeling nostalgic for Dark Souls despite not having played video games in 5 years or so. The closest thing I can think of is the Gormenghast trilogy, but I don't feel like re-reading it, and would like something with a little more action.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/bkysjcs5vFU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

don't know, but slightly related I thought a lot about Derrida's memoirs of the blind when I played Bloodborne, specifically how Derrida talks about 'in-sight' like in Bloodborne

You might like Viriconium by M. John Harris.

blood meridian
nag hammadi scriptures
the road
revelations

What is the Dark Souls of literature?

Dante Inferno
Beowulf
Book of Enoch

You should be saying Dark Souls is the ___ of literature because video games are an inferior medium

Well, Dark Souls is a pastiche of various Western literary and artistic tropes, deracinated from the Western historical contexts that made them sensible and meaningful to begin with, and deployed by Japanese people who don't really understand them in the first place even before their deracination, because they are themselves deracinated cultureless medieval peasants living in a top-down imposed post-colonial capitalist nightmare society.

Dark Souls throws together some gothic themes, some fantasy themes derived from romantic literature and its synthesis by figures like T.H. White and Tolkien, and Deviantart amateur artists' pictures of nonsensical megalithic architecture, and then weds these to a pointless non sequitur story that superficially appears, to retards anyway, to be deep and mysterious (a Japanese specialty!). Very similar to Japanese practice in other plotless, narratively disjointed heaps of miscellaneous tropes, like Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Ghost in the Shell, and Akira. Then it takes the gameplay of a mediocre ARPG like Diablo, baroquely complicates it without attempting to balance it, and glues the whole thing together into a mess merely large and intricate enough to confuse manchildren into thinking it is a coherent artistic expression.

These manchildren typically don't notice that they're fighting the same boss mechanics twenty times in a row, or that some of the biggest setpiece bosses are pushovers due to a failed implementation of some mechanic or an extremely simple moveset. But it doesn't matter. The manchild's brain can only process "LOTS OF THINGS ARE HAPPENING.. THIS GAME IS A BIG THING! I'M IMMERSED" and has no ability to abstract and judge the creation as a whole.

So basically you're looking for a stretched-out passionless paste made from rehashed, reheated tropes, and stuck together by the sheer will of a capitalist trying to trick you into thinking it's something new and dupe you into giving him your money. And you're looking to buy it and re-buy it multiple times, as they just release the same game year after year and your hollow eyes light up at the prospect of passively experiencing more kitschy filth.

If you play Dark Souls, there must be good in you somewhere. Deep down, you want to experience something good. You want to play the best. But Dark Souls has confused you. It has tricked you into thinking it's not a pile of shit. You should do some serious reflection, and try playing King of Dragon Pass, or Star Control 2, or Darklands. But no matter what you do, at least refuse to live as an animal. If you simply can't stop playing horrible garbage like Dark Souls, suicide is always an option.

Good pasta

Open a word processor. Use the largest font size possible. Now copy and paste the lyrics to Dio's Holy Diver. Print it. We're done here.
youtu.be/bkysjcs5vFU

stop with this shit already, fuck.

just ask for books that have a dark atmosphere and a feeling of hopelessness and loneliness

Thanks for the suggestions, but I've read almost everything posted in this thread. If anyone else is looking for suggestions like Dark Souls, you might like Lord Dunsany's The King of Elfland's Daughter. I have a copy of The Worm Ouroboros that I've never read--I think I might read through that.
I'll have to check this out

I wasn't aware that this was a meme. But yes, I want a dark atmosphere book with a feeling of hopelessness and loneliness

Why do you want to feel bad, user?

I find dark atmospheric media to be strangely soothing. Plus, it's the month of Halloween.

>this old dude wants me to play a game that looks like this

>graffix fag
I take it you have ADD

I hope you do all of your reading in the original material, Johne Smith.

Seconding Nag Hammadi scriptures. Or you can start with the Gnostic Bible.

If you think video games are better than literature get the FUCK off my board

But video games are a superior medium to books. You can actually see the characters and the setting instead of having them in your head like a loser.

le REE xd

>Ulysses the video game
>The game is entirely walking around Dublin and reading in game books while trying to avoid drunks

The Road
Book of the New Sun

>>Ulysses the video game

Cthulysses would be a cool game.

Gormenghast

I like this