Longest works of fiction

Pic not related

I had an idea for a writing project. I was thinking that if I gathered a bunch of people we could write the longest work of fiction ever. It takes years to write a story like the Space Emissaries World Conquest and Worm but if a bunch of writers work together on a project we might be able to write something up to ten million words long. Maybe even longer.

If anyone is interested in this idea I can make a discord or something to discuss it. I want it to be a fun project and not a very serious matter, just a fun little thing to make some new friends and have fun with.

Also, long works of fiction thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Darger
discord.gg/DnaxQx
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

this is one of the longest dont know if its still thee:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Darger

I've heard of this one. It's not published and that pissed me off a little bit. I really want to read that.

Wow it sounds like he got fucked by the mental health system. Institutionalized for masturbation, lock me up senpai

Also I'm surprised it's not longer, that's obviously long but it's certainly not insurmountable

I thought that The Space Emissaries World Conquest was the longest but Realms of the Unreal is probably longer. Space Emissaries World Conquest is four million words long. I think a single spaced size 11 font is about a thousand words so 15,000 × 1000 is fifteen million words approximately.

Google for his paintings too, they are really good, I am sure they took time too

I've seen them. Just beautiful.

So how much do you write? How good of a writer are you?

I spend a good amount of time studying storytelling and I've wrote a few things. I'm not the best writer but I'm better than the average fanfiction writer.

cool, what are some of your favorite writers?

There's this guy who wrote a thousand page book, I think his name was Warren Pearce? It was about Russians or something.

Ray Bradbury, Patrick Rothfuss and as a child I loved Rick Roirden.

Proust and War and peace I forgot to mention.

Who is interested in the idea of writing the longest work of fiction?

discord.gg/DnaxQx

Discord link

Are you even old enough to be on this board

I contacted one of the men who researched him, he told me a complete copy of Darger's works is available as a microfilm at the University of Indiana, I think.

I am. I'd love to write a million page book but what would it be about?

l ron hubbard wrote lots of shit

DeLillo has said that the Warren Report is something of that nature. Just covering the minutiae of peoples lives involved in the JFK assassination. He said that it would be what Joyce would write if he lived to 100 and moved to Iowa

This sounds awesome
This has the potential to break the record
I think several people who post on Veeky Forums should dive headlong into this and really commit themselves and their time to it

Get in the discord, boi. There's only two of us so far.

What if the longest work of fiction... is reality itself?

Fascinating idea
You should contribute to the project

I mean this thing could potentially be a terabyte in size

PSA:
the longest work of fiction is a fanfiction about super smash brothers and has more than four million words. That's eight times the length of Infinite Jest.

Is it good?

What do you think, user?

Realms of the Unreal is handwritten right? It is probably shorter

Probably not

The start was handwritten but most of it was single spaced using a typewriter

Maybe but its still a super smash brothers fanfiction

All we need is 100 people to write 90 page novellas each and have someone write a frame story that stitches them all together.

Ive got about 1000 page give or take 1000

Quality over quantity

poetry and purpose

>Quality over quantity
Quality and* quantity

Ihihihi
just stopping by to say that I clock in at over 1.3 million words

Reminder that Worm 2 has started

Isn't the longest fiction a Super Smash Bros fan fiction?

How many megs do you guys have so far on this?

This.

what is your writing about?

He's talking about Umineko no naku koro ni.
It's about a family trapped on an island during the storm. But then people start dying in strange ways. The killer wins.
A witch appears and says she's the killer. The protagonist says witches don't exist and refuses to believe her. So the witch revives everybody and starts killing them again. The hero has to proof that every murder committed is possible to do for a human, destroying the witch's existence itself.
The whole thing is basically fantasy vs mystery, reality vs illusion. It happens in two worlds at once, the "witches' plane" and the "human plane".

some anime is ok, dont know about this

Since I know you'll see this Joshu, you're a fucking awful writer. Just end yourself.

thats not very nice

This whole thing is just my opinion, please let's not somehow turn this thread into an argument about Umineko.
Everyone agrees that the anime is shit (thanks, deen!). You read the novel, that's the only choice (the official translation of the first four episodes has been added to steam recently, by the way). Manga is okay, but it's still better to read the original.
I've read some of the opinions about Umineko (can't honestly say that I've read every opinion ever, just so you know) and my conclusion is that it's a polarizing work. I've seen people saying that it's 100/10 and I've also seen people saying it's the worst thing they've read.
If there are points that both sides usually agree on, I think it's 1) the music is great; 2) the first four(?) episodes are great (usually people who hate Umineko despise Chiru). And I feel like that's all.
The problem is that the author can be overly-positive at times (I was puking honey during some scenes). Also, he likes to repeat what was already said and the beginning of the first episode is easily the hardest part to get through. The novel has a certain message and if you don't agree with it, you can end up hating the whole thing (again, he likes repeating what was already said). You also may not like the answer when you learn who the killer is. And, as was already mentioned, this novel is HUGE. It's because everybody dies by the end of every episode and is then revived again. The drawing style isn't exactly magnificent, but you learn to like after some time (there's also a PS3 patch version if it really bothers you).
If you decide to read it one day, here are a couple of recommendations. First, you might want to finish Higurashi beforehand. It's not crucial to understanding the plot, but I really regret reading those two in the reverse order. Second, it's really important that you at least try answering the riddles and finding the culprit by yourself. The author won't clearly tell you who exactly it is, but there will be a scene where it will becomes obvious, especially if you have already found the answer.
Sorry for writing this much, I didn't mean too. There also might be mistakes in this, it's really late here and I'm tired.

>discord.gg/DnaxQx
need a working one guy

I'm afraid that i'll end up with tulpas if i read a billion word fiction.

imagine what kind of effect that would have if the writing were actually good.

LET us not forget our own Gaskun, and his 4400 page space opera.

Nigger, this link is expired. I am really curious about this, put another one up

Are threads about worm supposed to go on Veeky Forums or /co/? It's technically not a comic, but I feel as though it would get a better response on /co/.

sounds cool

i don't think that user will ever post the right discord link

The book gets discussed a lot on Veeky Forums, particularly in /sffg/.

someone who cares about cowriting project, make a throwaway email

The Wheel of Time is 4,287,886 words long so it's longer than Space Emissaries World Conquest but shorter than Ambience