Does Veeky Forums own any first editions?

Does Veeky Forums own any first editions?

>the part 2 font is red

eh,wasn't the first lotr one big book?

It wasn't collected as one book until 1968, thirteen years after it was first published. Even then, almost all of the Appendices was excised in the single-volume paperback editions until 1983.

Have the first authorized American edition (from the ninth London) of Johnson's dictionary in two huge volumes. One of the covers (leather boards) intact, the other with a patched spine. Over 200 yrs old but still usable, remarkably hearty.

I have a third edition of ham on rye. Same cover art, printer about a year later I think. How it made it to a norwegian flea market I'll never know.

My mom has the hobbit and let me read it in first grade. I remember I ripped a page by accident and as shitty as it was to do so. Even as a child I knew someday I'd surpass him, felt so good.

My diary desu.

Ensaio sobre a cegueira.

I found and bought a first edition gone with the wind to give to my mom, and then she left my dad and forgot the book so now i have a first edition gone with the wind

Picked up a first edition, third printing copy of The Fixer by Malamud at a charity book sale last month.

I have a first edition of the Recognitions that I picked up from a retired literature critic. A local one that never actually read it in full.

I found this first edition of Men and Women for 10¢ at a book sale in an senior citizens center. I nearly nutted when I saw it.

All 3 cost me $6.

Good post

I think this its the first paperback

I have a bunch of old issues of Weird Tales. Including the last issue of weird tales to have a Lovecraft story posthumously published in it (May 1942).
Got them all, with a bunch of other old comics, from a guy (they were his Father's) for 40 bucks.

This was at Half Price Books for $15.

Where the fuck did you find them? Estate sale?

GA was from a thrift store
TFC from a flea market
TRAFotTR was from a book sale raising money for a symphony
I buy all my books used and go hunting frequently (just about every day in the summertime).

>Tfw when can't hunt and read dank literature at the same time
How do you drag the books around, I'm always afraid of ruining the damn things by dropping them in mud or getting blood all over them

baka desu senpai

Backpack?

Worst joke I've ever read, jesus christ.

I bought a first edition of The Hogfather once simply because it was the first Discworld book I ever bought and I have a huge soft spot for the series. It's worth fuck all but I like it.

$10

I have a first edition of The hobbit.

It's not much to look at though, It was originally a library edition, and it's dust jacket is missing

I also have a first edition of The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen, but that's just a *little* too valuable to share publicly like this

Tarzan of the Apes, but no dust cover so it's only worth about $40

Oh, yeah. I've even got the ARCs of two different novels by two different authors.

I hope this is bait. I CAN'T handle this not being bait.

Got the first edition of Stanisław Lem's earliest written, non-serialized novel.

I have Gravity's Rainbow

Nah, but I am rather embarrassed by the amount of typos that I now see in my original post. The shop was just a single small room, mostly romance novels and westerns, so I was really lucky to spot it in the cursory glance I gave things.

Mr. Hockey by Gordie Howe. Signed.

Fuck yeah.

I have first editions of the original and english translation of Glas by Derrida

What? I just checked ebay and they're going for like $15.

And didn't Tolkien want to have them published in six volumes, the "books" within each actual book?

I worked in my school’s archives back when I was in college and they had a signed first edition of Finnegan’s Wake

If these are 1st editions, then yes, I have two towers somewhere but it's beat up so bad I can't bring it anywhere without it falling apart

Infinite jest, Mason & Dixon, GR

Check the publication date. The ones I have from the early 80's have the same covers.

They're divided into six books plus Appendices, yes.

That didn't happen until the turn of the millennium. The seven volume editions are OOP afaik.

im jelous desu famulam

made this thread worthwhile

RRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Pynchon - Vineland
Hill - The Nix (signed)
Wallace - Infinite Jest

I've got a copy of the first edition of Dune that I found at a library sale.

I actually hate Dune but don't want to sell it or give up a piece of history.

Finnish national poet J. L. Runeberg's "Hanna - En dikt i tre sånger" printed in 1836.

That human chess passage.