No god, no state, depression

I'm almost done with the Greeks now and I have realized how blissful it must have been to live in that time period, with such a rich culture. I would readily trade all of the benefits technology gives me for fellow citizens to connect with, a state and community I am proud to be a part of, and gods whom I love.

I live in America and it is impossible to connect with anyone. The masses are ignorant and unhealthy, increasingly secular, and the population is entirely heterogeneous. Is the end result of multiculturalism and science inevitable depression and nihilism? Do people need a higher power like god or a state, and a sense of belonging greater than individualism to be happy?

>implying the masses weren't ignorant and illiterate back then

>Is the end result of multiculturalism and science inevitable depression and nihilism?
It might not be the end result, but it seems to be a result

There is a difference, though. Education was an aristocratic prerogative in the past, and the common people had to be content to work at a craft or in agriculture. But they were still overall pious and proud of their culture.

Now, anybody can freely educate themselves and instead, they choose to watch television and engage in social media instead of bettering themselves in any way.

Traditionaly, family was all men needed in order to feel they belonged somewhere. Once the state starts to take care of all those materialistic needs that were previously taken care of by the community, men mistakenly believe they are no longer tied to their family. With the rise of individualism, mankind is dragged into an illusion of false belonging under the name of nation, religion or even diet. This is but a charade built to perpetuate the chronic isolation the capitalist machine cleverly started in order to feed itself.

Kill me, Pete

Le Wronge Generation.

You are a fucking moron. I'm pretty sure the equivalent of your current social status in Ancient Greece would have been at best a shoemaker or something, not knowing how to read and going to the theatre a few times a year. There were only a handful of people at a time who could get to participate in the culture, those who possessed the most wealth and connections with the leadership. Do you get to hang out with Hollywood actors today? No, but surely you would have hanged out with Ovid talking about Greek myths back in the good old days, right?

>the masses are ignorant and unhealthy
You are the masses, dumbass. Don't act like everything that makes you feel entitled to such superiority hasn't been given to you by the Internet and technology (you know those old, yellow books that to you seem like a vestige from the Golden Ages? yeah, they didn't even have those in the ancient times)

>You are the masses, dumbass.
Nice projection. I have my degree in mechanical engineering, I know multiple languages, I teach, I'm fit and healthy, and I'm probably more well-read than you. I'm pretty sure that makes me better than 99% of the population.

and what's your net worth?
still sure you go to same movie theaters all other fat slobs go to. unless you're flying to paris on a whim to get dinner, or decide to take your yacht around the world, you're still part of the masses.

You did those things because you got the chance to. You were taught how to read, for starters. Why don't you do a little research and tell us how many people had the chance to learn how to read before the 19th century and how rich their parents had to be.

I'm not that fag.
But do you realize you might have not given the right chances in Ancient Greece to become 'better as 99 percent of the population', right?

You unironically make this kind of post on Veeky Forums which makes you worse than 90% of the population.

go back

Not sure you have actually read Plato (or even Aristofanes) where most of athenians are shown as crass drunkards who don't even want to bother to think about anything more serious than money or their erection.

>I'm probably more well-read than you
>I'm almost done with the Greeks now

Please have mercy, Pete

You know showing of your degree docent make your point any more valid... I have a bachelors degree in applied sciences but I use actual fact and proven study than my title.

Actually for the time based on other parts of the world they were ahead ... everyone else had just figured out how to read and others kill the ones who read

>The masses are ignorant and unhealthy, increasingly secular, and the population is entirely heterogeneous

Implying Greeks weren't these things (they were-- and they weren't even highly culturally homogenous for most of their history)

>But they were still overall pious and proud of their culture.

False.

>Now, anybody can freely educate themselves and instead, they choose to watch television and engage in social media instead of bettering themselves in any way.

The majority of Greeks would have chosen this as well. Do you really think a peasant farmer Greek would have bothered to learn about literature and philosophy if he had access to the internet? No. He would have worked hard in the fields and then gone home to watch TV.

>Nice projection. I have my degree in mechanical engineering, I know multiple languages, I teach, I'm fit and healthy, and I'm probably more well-read than you. I'm pretty sure that makes me better than 99% of the population.

40% of Greeks were slaves at one point, and when they banned Greeks being slaves, the number still remained the same, but the culture became far less homogenous.

Further, getting a degree in mechanical engineering is literally a pleb thing to do. It's the equivalent of being a shoe maker in 100BC. Its completely a technical and vocational oriented thing. You wouldn't have been part of the elite, because they were largely born into it, and education was distributed among them. You wouldn't have been allowed or able to even gain an education.

Surely this is bait.

if you were born into the ruling class, maybe

>"AND YOU?"
>"WHEN WILL YOU BEGIN THAT LONG JOURNEY INTO YOURSELF?"

>people ITT who make the argument that life would've been harder/more poverty stricken X number of years ago thus it would've been "more bad"

materialists must hang

At least learn humility or jante

Reminder that if you are a NEET you are without virtue and unfit to even be a slave.

Is all the disagreement to this a contrarian impulse because seems fair

This needs more (you)s

le reddit post

fug

It's like wanting to be in the mongol empire. High chance you're just going to get fucked by some tatars, not chilling with chingis and is thousands of women. It's a good time to be a "peasant"

Yet another regard who doesn't realize that the majority of people were miserable and that most of the culture he admires wouldn't have been available to him or anyone like him unless he were part of the upper echelons of society
Enjoy your fantasies about gay orgies
It's not impossible to connect with anyone, I suggest you find a hobby that involves interacting with people. Maybe audition for a part in a play or something.

>Education was an aristocratic prerogative in the past, and the common people had to be content to work at a craft or in agriculture. But they were still overall pious and proud of their culture.
Slavery was ubiquitous in antiquity. The idea that all slaves were content to be slaves makes no sense.

>I teach
You know who didn't teach? The important people in the ancient world. They hired tutors to teach their kids how to run their estates and politics. You would be a tutor, living in someone else's estate, laughing at their drunken jokes for fear of losing your head of you didn't act sufficiently amused.

>He would rather be a slave and die of dysentery while his daughter is made a concubine to Chadius than live in a society where Chad can just go on TV and get women to willingly fuck him with legal protections, without resorting to stealing his daughter