Let's have a thread, not about the contents of the book, but how it's bound

Let's have a thread, not about the contents of the book, but how it's bound.
Hardback, leather bound, slipcases, dust covers, omnibuses, collected sets, first editions, exclusive artwork and so on.

What are some very nice editions of books you have, or want, or have just seen?

Other urls found in this thread:

barnesandnoble.com/w/the-hobbit-and-the-lord-of-the-rings-jrr-tolkien/1119268896?ean=9780544445789#/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

dust covers a shit, must remove before reading

board books are fine

leatherbound is pretentious

omnibuses are only occasionally acceptable, eg in bible paper for shakespeare

first editions are a waste of money

I like laminated paperbacks. or those plastic slip cases. anyone else?

damn you stole my trips. they were going to counteract mein kampf.

and yes laminated paperbacks are the best. like a hardcover jr without being obnoxious and needing a cover

Rate my shelf

Why the fuck is there a combined edition of The Da Vinci Code and The Lost Symbol, and why would you waste money on it?

I guess my cameras to good to upload photos of my books, file to large. But I just bought 3 hardcovers published before 1880 with fucking beautiful ornate design. Gets my dick very hard. You can get them for about 10-15 on ebay.

Does this look pretentious? I've read them but the combined colors could be a bit much like the B@N meme shelf

I'd really like to buy Everyman's set of Decline and Fall some day.

I want that Ovid and that Milton

I have an almost new Kindle Paperwhite, can I join?

I really like some of the folio society presentations. i'm thinking of copping their new Moby Dick edition with the Rockwell Kent illustrations

If you post nice cases for it.

>folio society
I like a lot of their stuff, but goddamn are they proud of their shit.

you can often find things like that that second-hand. people buy them because they look good but never read

one of the good things about this country's industry: they sure know how to make good covers. could do without the "metallic" effect but it's bretty good otherwise

It's solid, the Ovid translation is the one commissioned by Samuel Garth that includes a fuck ton of poets including Alexander Pope and Dryden, harder to understand but shits on Mandelbaum

I want to start getting The Histories of Middle Earth, but I don't know what the best way is.
That three volume set is right out, too unwieldy to handle even if I could find it at a decent price.
I want a hardback, that's the least of it.

Lmao just get a paperback and throw it in the trash after reading. Who repeats books anyway?

Not prertentious. Looks like you got them where you can find them since they aren't creepily uniform like the B&N shelf. The Lattimore assured me that you knew something about them as well.

>Let's have a thread, not about the contents of the book
Isn't that most Veeky Forums threads

Letterpresd Hamlet. Has the nicest paper I've ever seen or touched.

0/10 those are books I'd buy for my coffee table, ornaments not intended for reading, and I'd silently judge people who take interest and touch with their dirty hands. I would never read those books on the shelves and you have never read those books on the sleeves because you just saved the image.

I wish I'd gotten one of these copies of the Hobbit, it's leatherbound and small enough to fit in your pocket.

Hhnngg

>tfw when I have the Dante version in this pic

how is the bible edition?

Fucking great, it includes 200+ page length Gustave Illustrations and is KJV ofc

I love Brazilian covers so fucking much.

I think this is very "bazinga".

Duna means Danube in Hungarian lol

I like it, but I'm pretentious as fucc

I collect old books.

Marbled paper. Very common back then.

I got this nice set from about 1910 for just 45 dollars.

the pretense behind those B&N books is that they look like the books on your shelf, but aren't. They are artifacts of contemporary popular-literature dressed up to affect an air of sophistication found only in a scholar's sequestered study room where they are poured over with great academic and intelligent deliberation.. but its a novelization of Star Wars instead. Your books aren't pretentious, they are the originals and there's no problem with it as far as I can see.

>just

Only decent hardbacks I have

Second

These are my nicer books.

The rest

You're super wrong. Easton press does modern books too. They have a leather bound Bridge to Terabithia and at the same time, B&N has classics like Moby Dick and the Illiad and the Odyssey

Jealous of your M&D

I fucking hate the idea of a leatherbound contemporary genre fiction. Or fucking Rupi lmao, it's got to be out there

I've never read such ignorance. High art literature is still being produced today (more so than ever before) just as casual fiction has always been produced in the past. You don't know shit. B&N books aren't pretentious, you are.

This set is about the only non-mass market one I've got. I like the tactile cloth bindings. I always curse myself for not picking up a 7 vol set of Vollmann's Rising Up/Down for 60 dollars when I had the chance.

>B&N books aren't pretentious
Not by default of existence, but that faggot has The Da Vinci Code in leatherbound.
This is a thing that exists.

the video your photo is from is one of my regular go-to asmr vids

>just as casual fiction has always been produced in the past.
Yeah and was shit back then sperg. What is the modern Dante? The modern Tolstoy? The modern Blake? The modern Homer? The modern Milton? There aren't any, because it takes hundreds of years of literary tradition that culminates in a talented artist. And punctuating your comment sternly actually doesn't add authority lmao

thoreau would be disgusted

>mango
>desu

I bought one of those. I lent it to a freind of mine and he lent it to his Girlfriend 5 days before breaking up with her. . . I am never getting that book back.

>>>>>STAR WARS
what did he mean by this

jesus those BN editions are fucking awful

my school library had a set from late 1800's-early 1900s like that, it was super comfy to read them. wrote a historiography of the popular views on when, why, and how it fell

5/10 made me throw up

These are still being sold. You can but the whole set for like 30 bucks. barnesandnoble.com/w/the-hobbit-and-the-lord-of-the-rings-jrr-tolkien/1119268896?ean=9780544445789#/

The font size is like 3 though.

I get called a pretentious faggot a lot when I post my bookshelves here, but I love fine press books. The weight behind the thick paper stock, the feel of the leather or buckram bindings, the woodcuts and other illustrations; they all add to the reading experience.

I hope to be at a point in my life one day that I can afford actual fine press works instead of these entry-level presses, but it'll be a long time before I can afford to put an Arion Press up on the shelf.

Where's the other half of Gibbon, user?

Leatherbound loses it's appeal if you get one for every book imo. I have a weird rule about only getting leatherbound epic poems or Holy Books, old novels/nonfic being hardcover, and novels/nonfic from 20th cent on being soft

This version was in the attic of a house I bought, it's pretty slick

Very nice, what year and edition?

>Gustave
my men

1973, first edition collectors from houghton mifflin. I also got a second edition lotr set from the same place

Looks like a pile of shit I'd drop from my bag in skyrim

Really nice. Looks like my dad's library. Nostalgic.

>Purgatory & Paradise
>but not Inferno
I assume there's one to complete the set, but why separate one but not the other two?

They look good individually but putting them all in a shelf looks disgusting, like pouring twenty spoons of sugar in a nice cup of fruit tea...