Tfw started studying at Oxford recently (Jesus college)

>tfw started studying at Oxford recently (Jesus college)
>tfw ate lunch in an ancient wood-paneled dining hall with wood benches and portraits on every wall
>tfw walking around alone on chilly evenings and thinking of all the great minds who have done the same thing
>tfw went for a stroll again on Saturday with a qt upper class girl around town and along the river
>tfw she pushed an envelope underneath my door yesterday morning inviting me to go to a formal ball we'd discussed
>tfw she is embarrassed by the fact that I'm the only state school educated person she knows but says she finds my worldliness interesting
>tfw surrounded by well-mannered, sophisticated, intelligent people almost 24/7
>tfw stood by my leaded window last night in my ancient dorm room and cried because it's so beautiful here
>right now sitting in a silent library full of the best minds of my generation reading books written by the best minds of previous generations (that pressure though)
>have a lecture in an hour which will probably mean another essay and a ton more research work
>planned to watch Lilya 4-Ever with the same girl later on in her dorm room since I recommended it and she offered to cook food
>tfw we kept bumping the backs of our hands against each other while walking the other day and I know she was aware of it just as much as I was

i am so, so sorry for the people here who don't get to attend an Elite university. It's one of those very rare occasions were reality actually exceeds expectations in almost every way. I feel like I am in Hogwarts and it's literally an unbeatable feeling.

what are you studying OP? why are you there

English Language and Literature

What do you mean why am I here? I'm here because I applied and gained the requisite grades. I am here to make friends, hopefully meet a long-term partner and potentially several short-term sexual liaisons, to study, to work hard, to explore new activities and hobbies, to respect an ancient academic traditions, and to bolster my CV in time for my move to London after graduating where I'll hopefully have a high-paying job and all the rest of it. Why am I here indeed.

>tfw she is embarrassed by the fact that I'm the only state school educated person she knows but says she finds my worldliness interesting

I'm not sure I believe the specific events in this post but I agree with the general sentiment, but for a different reason; the lack of tutorials in other universities makes doing a humanities degree outside Oxford pointless. You should notice when you return after your first year how stupid normies (and Veeky Forums posters) are in arguments.

>English Language and Literature
>high-paying job

yeah ok

>Go to expensive as fuck uni out of state
>campus ugly as fuck in the middle of no-where
>in senior level seminars by second year
>i'm still the only only one who reads the course materials
>can't graduate early because diversity requirements
>need to find housing off campus next year
>everyone usually signs lease with their friends for roommates
>my only friends are the professors

thx 4 the laff OP

I truly am jealous. Savour it, user

Pessoa-chan imposter pls go.

>lack of tutorials
Pretty sure other unis do tutorials as well m8.

I think you missed the part where I told you I'm attending the University of Oxford.

Yikes! This is the kind of thing that could give me nightmares.

You sound like a massive faggot tbqhwyf

Don't let these shitposters with mediocre lives spoil the experience for you, OP.

>>tfw went for a stroll again on Saturday with a qt upper class girl around town and along the river
Bullshit, you walked along the canal you just don't know the difference.

Huh? Why?

You know one thing I've learned from my conversations (not with the girl I mentioned) is that young men from top private schools in the UK are pretty much taught to expect spite, bitterness and jealousy from an early age. It's why insults and mockery barely have an effect on them. The fact, as I've come to understand it, is this: why the hell would a successful and thus wealthy mother and father not want the very best for their child? And if the very best means sending them to a private school which costs £36k a year, which in turn allows them to gain entry into Oxbridge etc, then not? I am still on the fence about the issue of social class but I'm starting to see things their way I have to admit.

i-is this real?

Nice blog thread you've got going on. Why do you come to Veeky Forums of all places for validation

Things that never happened for 200, Luigi.

So, you've become a detached, arrogant upper-class lit-major who thinks his intellect and debating skills are superior because a he adopted a certain kind of long-winded, un-self-conscious way of talking.

Prototypcial yuppie

Anyways, it's probably a good life and I wish you the very best.

I'm happy for you, and I wish you all the best, but no one really gives a shit here. Why do you have to seek validation when you're that high up in the ladder? And of all places, you come to Veeky Forums.

Even if it didn't happen to OP, it likely happened to someone. The point is that SOMEONE has had a better life than you.

Now, the question is, did that someone have the same condescening, smug idea to feel "so, so sorry" for everyone else, which would make him a decent person, or was it OP, who can imagine happiness only in relation to the suffering of others

I posted here in the summer since I was pretty apprehensive about starting to study here. Spoke to someone who claimed to have studied history at Balliol and a few people asked me to report back once I've started. So I am in this thread.

How am I being arrogant? I didn't express scorn for people studying at non-Elite universities, just pity. And thank you :)

>just pity

Very well-executed bait thread. Calling it now.

I'm an oldfag. I've posted here since '15. Some people asked me to report back so I am.

>2015
>oldfag
wew

All that teen-girl-tier gossip doesn't make you any less worthless than the avegare homeless crackhead. Do something important, no one cares about reverse r9k bullshit, stop non-literature non-sense, please

>summerfag
>gets a slot at Oxford and I don't

REEEEEEE

>I think you missed the part where I told you I'm attending the University of Oxford.

that's not particularly relevant to what's required for a "high paying job" in london

describe the girl in your best prose op. i want to live vicariously thru u

OP here. Back in an hour. Lecture's about to begin.

Thanks! I will (I hope!)

>huh? Why?

God you really are an insufferable autist.

In b4 "huurrr you're jealous you'll never expiernce jerking off in the spot Newton did."

Move in with an eccentric professor

>this much butthurt
>THIS much jealousy

o i am laffin

>tfw you use your flights of fancy to bait the literature board

a nutty professor?

>the lack of tutorials in other universities makes doing a humanities degree outside Oxford pointless

How many tutorials do they do at Oxford?

>I'm an oldfag.
Ok now I'm sure you're a faggot.

Have you actually ever met anyone from places like Oxford/Cambridge/Harvard/Yale/etc.? They are almost always insufferable spoiled brat cunts. I can't imagine being surrounded by those people constantly and enjoying anything.

Can someone tell me what the FUCK a tutorial is?

t. Brainblasted liberal arts student

seems like op is acting that way to fit in

"Elite" universities nowadays are filled with a bunch of uppity Blacks/Muds and blue-haired harpees
Why even bother going unless you are getting a worthwhile degree like in Law

lilya-4-ever is literally a nightmare is it really date movie potential

Not the OP but you're literally wrong about this. A lot of these people are fully aware of their (for a lack of a better word) "privilege" and their subsequent responsibility to act in a considerate, empathetic manner. Trust me, it isn't easy to be told at the age of six that you are one of a relative handful of people in your country who will receive an expensive, intense education and then have to maintain a highly successful life both as a teenager and then as an adult in order to live up to your parents' expectations. It's by no means a walk in the park. You meet a girl you think is cute and well-suited but then find out she is from a broken home in a poor town in the north-east. You have to consider what your parents will think, what your sibling(s) will think. What your friends will think. You have to ask yourself if this person's career trajectory will allow them to earn enough money to help you sustain your social class in the future and allow your children the same life you had as a child. And in the end you have to bite the bullet and settle for someone closer to home, as it were, rather than risk generations of hard work to ensure your place atop the pile for the sake of what may very well end up being a summer fling. There's a reason you won't find many people from the upper class on Tinder, for example. There's a reason they stick to their own, and it's a good one if considered objectively.

>t. rich guy who lacks self awareness
Everyone thinks you're a cunt and even if you think you're being considerate and empathetic you're probably coming off as a condescending asshole and people don't like that.

Also do you know how many rich kids at those universities just do coke and party all the time? Yeah, they've really got the weight of the world on their shoulders.

pls kys

you hate them because you anus

>this post

reminder that male feminists are the new fedoras

you sound like a massive cunt

>taking your worldview from /pol/
Real life is not a buzzfeed ragebait article, user

This. People from outside the UK don't understand the class system here. It's really not like other countries (Scandinavia for example) where universities are all pretty equal and the social classes not too far apart despite nepotism etc. In Britain it's just different. There is no point risking your social status simply for "love", which is just a socio-economic sorting ritual for the most part. It's very hard to climb the ladder in the UK and I for one would never consider dropping a few rungs to be with someone who is less educated, less connected and less likely to "fit in" in my social circle. I attended one of the most historically significant private schools in London and of my friends who are married or in long-term relationships, not a single one of them is dating a girl who was not also privately educated and now working a high-status job. Moan all you want but that's life.

Lol way to judge me without know me. Might I ask how many friends you have? Because I have plenty who can and will vouch for my character thank you very much. And I never touched cocaine at university nor did any of my close friends. You'll find idiots in any group (fewer in some groups admittedly) but if they get the grades and get the job done then who is to blame at the end of the day?

>Might I ask how many friends you have?
lol

Yeah, I mean I would love to live a life where I could fuck around and still always have something to fall back on.

All of these cream of the crop niggas are just LARPing, right? I mean, 1 or 2 of them browsing is to be expected but when you get multiple all posting at one time it gets a bit riddicky dicky diculous and unbelievable.

You're a cunt, just accept it and move on. You can't really help it.

Enjoy it, OP. Being in the same place as some intelligent people sounds like it'll be the high water mark of your life. Unfortunately, you'll have to live with being you for the rest of it.

Good for you op, I actually envy you, don't mind the cunts in the thread. Enjoy studying as much as you can, do a good job not only for you but also for all those poor cunts that can't go there.

The physical sensation I want you to experience while reading this comment is that of me pushing my thumbs into your eyes with the intention of permanently blinding you and harming you immensely. I want you to consider every word I write an extra bit of pressure added as I press down. My parents' home is worth over £2,000,000 (that's two-million). My father earns around £125,000-a-year a a senior consultant in London and my mother earned around £75,000 in the education sector before taking leave to raise us kids (as all good mothers should). I attended schools whose grounds you, dear reader (feel that pressure?), would not even be allowed to set a single foot on because guess what. We do not want to be contaminated by your poverty, and by the lack of worth ethic, the slovenliness, the rudeness and general lack of etiquette which comes with being a poor person in the United Kingdom. I am 6'2. Why is that? Because I received proper nutrition and exercise throughout my youth. I already, in my 20s, earn more than probably anybody else in this forum. And I know how you idiots will respond to that fact. You will claim I have been given an easy life, the silver spoon and all that. When what you really have to realize is that the same genetic studies the racists among you use to justify Africa's lack of economic stability is also applicable within the population of your own race. Some of us are born with the means to succeed, and others (is it hurting yet? Good!) aren't. So the next time you feel the urge to write some horribly, nasty, vindictive little screed online about how the upper class are "arrogant" or how your feelings were hurt after learning that your life is comparatively meaningless, think back to this comment, and think back to the image of me pushing my thumbs into your eyes, forever.

Eh I don't see what the big deal is. I go to a public mid-range university in America. I'd be just as lonely and bored at Oxford as I am here.

>English Language
>"it's one of those very rare occasions WERE reality actually exceeds expectations"
They made a mistake admitting you. Your "sophisticated" lady friend will see who you truly are soon my friend

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

For someone who's studying at Oxford, you seem more concerned with the physicality of the place and less about why you are actually there. What's interesting to me is that you have not once mentioned in this entire thread what you are studying. You have said nothing about learning at Oxford let alone a single sentence about literature on a literature board. Why are you here OP, to brag about ancient walnut-paneled rooms and sophisticated women? How superficial.

If this thread were actually about learning at Oxford it would be great, worth something. What a fucking Charlatan you are.

Veeky Forums IS NOT YOUR BLOG

SAGE

OP and richie rich LARPers btfo forever dying in hospital and not expected to recover.

>English Language and Literature
yes, enjoy Oxford and prepare to earn less than eastern european and pajeet code monkeys

>falling this easy for a bait
damn son

>the utter barbarity of naming the cost of things he didn't earn

Upper class have no class. Nothing meaningful to say, either, judging by this thread.

>Oxford
>best minds
>Literature
>high paying job
This has been the funniest post all week. Thanks.
t. Math at Trinity

>all of these envious MoFos ITT
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha *breathes in* ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha fucking end yourselves

>wants to move to London

He’s already too far gone, guys

But perhaps he will eventually be the anti-londonfrog that this board deserves who can finally drive londonfrog to kill himself

I'm not the OP but you're an idiot if you think Oxford humanities grads, including lit grads, aren't making mad bank. Do you realize how many humanities students at oxbridge go straight into finance because muh prestige?

Ah, you're seeking employment there, not education for its own sake. That explains a lot.

Pseud

I know that feel. Be prepared for no other experience in your entire life to ever live up to it. Worse, knowing the fact that this experience is built for you this way purposefully so that you'll want to indebt yourself to the academic machine and never leave, doesn't help. It's still amazing.

>born to teenage parents in an underdeveloped country
>live in a rural tiny town where having internet in my home was considered fancy
>go to public schools all my life
>they're literally worse than nothing
>only go there to talk to the slutty early bloomers, and because I'm obligated to
>teach myself fluent english and french by the time I'm 16
>drop out before even starting high school
>continue to read, write and study as a hobby
>access to the whole world's culture and thought due to the magic of the internet
>get accepted into an elite university in the big city, full-time philosophy course
>get the best grades in my class, where all of my classmates are super rich kids who studied in the best private Swiss and Jesuit schools
I won't say I'm not envious of your 'privilege', because I am, but I still feel superior to you playboys. And anyway, the education I get now is better than what any British or American ''philosophy'' departments can offer.

Eventually you'll realize that there is far more to life than reading dreary novels in a bedsit in Bognor Regis terrified by the prospect of next month's rent payment. Money makes the world go around, is, I believe, how the saying goes.

kek this so much

OP here. Lecture over. Will be back in the library shortly. I'm bloody tired though!

Londonfrog is a national treasure, you queef

could you post the syllabus, user?

>drop out before even starting high school
>get accepted into an elite university
Watch less movies, that's not how it works in real life. Try again.

>tfw I study a fairly easy STEM degree at a mediocre university
>100% graduate employment rate
>will be earning £40k within 3 years of graduating, up to £60k within 5 years
>job itself not particularly demanding
>not surrounded by try hard grammar school prats and entitled aristocrats

Enjoy Oxford OP. I am happy with what I chose, I won't be worked to the bone and I can savour art for pleasure rather than churn out navel gazing essays.

Here if you get a grade high enough in the entry test to university, you also get your high school certificate if you haven't it. There's an exceeding number of adults with no high school education, so the government makes it as easy as possible.

Reminder that so-called elite grown women literally cannot have an orgasm unless thinking about money and living the life they are accustomed to. Even then, they are frigid, intolerable cunts to the elite men who provide for them. Absolutely degenerate.

>Do you realize how many humanities students at oxbridge go straight into finance
Very few. Unless you're actually including account, econ and finance in humanities for the sake of being contrarian.

>There's an exceeding number of adults with no high school education
Countries like that don't have elite universities, friendo.

>savour art for pleasure

This is literally, unironically what STEMtards actually believe will happen. Enjoy discussing Games of Thrones with Kevin and Mike. Enjoy wasting all your mental energy on solving ridiculously obscure and irrelevant "problems" that only benefits some superfluous aspect of a degenerate culture. Hilarious really.

playa, the real question is if you will experience the sublime sensation of bumping the back of your hand against qt's hand while suspecting that she may also be aware of said sensation

>reddit tier bait
Go back, please.

I guarantee that you know nothing about the subject. Do you even City of London, broseph?

Enjoy your dole meetings between temporary contact centre jobs.

>>>tfw went for a stroll again on Saturday with a qt upper class girl around town and along the river
>>tfw she pushed an envelope underneath my door yesterday morning inviting me to go to a formal ball we'd discussed
>>tfw she is embarrassed by the fact that I'm the only state school educated person she knows but says she finds my worldliness interesting

yes beta, be her little poor child she likes to care about while she enjoys her innocent orgasms from chad

and kys

You're either trolling or just plain stupid. Do you think people who attend Oxbridge, especially those who are from high quality families, will ever need to go within several feet of a dole office? With the right surname the right family and the right amount of wealth behind you, you could study Gender In Videogames BA and still get a foot in the door in some major insurance company, bank etc in London. The alumni network exists for a reason old boy.

>>yes beta, be her little poor child she likes to care about
and find amusing

Are you OP?
If you are as sexually immature and intellectually unsophisticated as you sound, there will come a day when your future gf/wife suddenly sees through your egotistical pretensions (and women always do friendo) and seeks existential relief from those very people you seem to look down upon - the chads, the tyrones, the abduls. Becuase the inherent sexual magnetism of the latter has not been distilled to the point of non-existence by years of intellectual (and actual) masturbation.
Sorry.

Not that user but if you fight to support scientism's reign as cultural bellwether then you are Reddit and need to go back.

You will fight this fact with all your collective delusion and brainlet myopia but you are still Reddit regardless.

>I want to be a little hedonist

Yes, spread the cancer.

Yes. There are plenty of Oxbridge graduates who fuck up massively. I know several personally.

I literally can't express how much better my life has been since I attended Oxford. I went to a state school and gradually became the stereotypical moody, withdrawn sensitive type who both despises the quality of his immediate culture and feels a weird pride for having been raised in a sort of anti-intellectual and brutal environment. I was all set to take my Russell Group humanities BA and spend my life working as an anonymous, insecure wageslave forever thankful of being offered a job and forever too insecure to pursue my creative ambitions. The chip on my shoulder had become something of a wedge, and I felt too out of place regardless of my environment, too resentful and bitter to even attempt to make it in the artistic world. Then I finally applied for Oxford and got in to study an English MA, with reassurance that should I work hard enough a career in academia or within one of Oxford's affiliated companies would be almost guaranteed. I turned up as apprehensive as usual, and the first few days were spent regretting my decision and desperately feigning a cultured personality. But then I realized that the people there were just interesting and that the snobbery and exclusivity I had anticipated was just a myth borne out of my working class upbringing. I've since graduated, having spend the year dining in grand halls with groups of interesting people, dating several girls (one of whom, a petite Russian whose family traces back to the aristocracy, is now my fiancee). I work four days a week at a publishing company and earn £38k a year. I regularly meet up with friends from my college and visit Oxford for nights out and for meetings with my professors. The Martin Eden-esque novel I have been writing for two years has been selected for publication at a major British publishing house and, honestly, I could not have imagined a few years ago how great life could be. I come on Veeky Forums and see how pathetic you all are and just shake my head and chuckle. If I saw you guys on the street I would of course throw you a penny or discuss Bukowski or whatever "realist" writers you enjoy, but ultimately I would be able to tell within ten seconds if you're an Oxbridge grad and would dismiss you as a potential source of good company if you are not. I never thought I'd know what it was like to be objectively better than somebody else, for the value of my existence to be superior to the value of a stranger's, but now I do and I've never been happier. People are awed by power and prestige. All I need to do is mention the university I attended (if only for a year) and they immediately begin to hunch and look at their feet because they know they are in the presence of greatness.

I'd have to explain the whole history of my country's pattern of investment in education. But no, my department is highly ranked by international standards.