Just read the abridged Moby Dick unless you want to know everything about 19th century whaling

Among other things the unabridged version includes information about:
Types of whales
Types of whale oil
Descriptions of whaling ships crew pay and contracts.
A description of what happens when two whaling ships find eachother at sea.
Descriptions and stories that outline what every position does.
Discussion of the importance and how a harpoon is cared for and used.
Thus far, I would say that discussions of whaling are present at least 1 for 1 with actual story.

I'm more interested in an expanded version, not abridged.

get the norton critical edition then

It must be 25-30 years ago that I read it - the unabridged version - and it is all of that historical whaling material that has stuck with me over that time - that actually gave it it's unique atmosphere at the time and that I still think of now when anyone mentions it.
The whole metaphorical white whale obsession and so on I really wasn't that concerned with at the time and has been done to death in so many other forms anyway. The whaling trivia is where the interest was and still is for me.
And, yes, I am perfectly serious.

I want to read more Melville not some faggy editor

fagville wrote other books than moby penis

As a book about whaling, it is about 3 or 4 times too long.

For what it actually is? I wish it was an IJ-tier 1500 pager. Moby Dick is the best fucking novel written in the English language and there are no contenders.

This sounds like an r/books post

you would know redditor.

Yeah they are good too. Some are great. But none reach the sustained heights of Moby-Dick

What you fail to understand is that those chapters about species of whales, harpooning techniques, eating chowder, etc. all of that gives you a deep knowledge of 18th century life on the sea that makes the rest of the story, the philosophical observations, the revenge story, it makes it all better, it makes it all cut into you that much deeper.

It’s funny because you think you’ve read Moby Dick. Abridged version isn’t the book, it is nothing at all but the emaciated spawn of some hack Editor, go back and reread the entire work like an adult.

ummm I'm sorry sweetie but no

it contains all the relevant plotpoints so sucks to suck but it essentially is the same as reading the book. If someone asked me if I'd read moby dick I can say yes and I am not lying.

>it contains all the relevant plotpoints
So does the Wikipedia page

>Just read the abridged Moby Dick

>masturbation contains all the relevant plotpoints of sex so sucks to suck but it essentially is the same as fucking. If someone asked me if I'd fucked a pussy I can say yes and I am not lying.

strawman

false equivalence.

ad hominem

fallacy fallacy

>Logical positivists

not an argument

When did books become such a hopeless shithole? I remember it from like 7 years ago and it was quit good.

>t. obvious redditor.
what's your username? i want to give you some gold.

how do redditors write like this - without gouging out their eyeballs - it's physically repulsive

Yeah, one even has the n-word in the title

>n-word
Don't refer to this filth on Veeky Forums. Go back to /pol/. Racism is not tolerated here.

n o r p