Warning: Purest reddit-tier fucking cancer inside

What is wrong with these people Veeky Forums?

they're among us

I've been meaning to read Moby Dick. What's the significance of the whaling encyclopedia parts? I know they're infamous but everyone on here swears they're secretly the most important part of the book or some shit.

they're really irrelevant. the reddit poster is correct, an abridged book is just as good.

if you think that maybe you should return to r/books

That’s like reading Les Mis for something other than battle formations and sewer layouts.

Wait what in the hell, the same exact reply was made on reddit as was on this thread.
Either two people are having the exact same discussion with each other or one person is populating both threads with fake comments...

Normies. They need time to check facebook.

>muh reddit boogeyman
fuck off pleb

if you think a translation is alright but an abridged version is not then you're a hypocrite and a brainlet to boot.

proto-postmodern ps. the significance is that they're relevant to a whole-bodied experience of the work. abridging it is like modernizing shakespeare or scrubbing the genealogical lists in the illiad or the old testament

>they're relevant to a whole-bodied experience of the work
LMAO!!!

pls elaborate I would love for you to embarrass yourself further

1 > less than 1
retard

in what way is a whole chapter describing a whale tale relevant to the rest of the book. explain brainlet or admit you're bullshitting.

you probably haven't even read it.

>book about X obsession
>how does this chapter meta-illustrating the obsession over X contribute to the book
retard

oh i see it's relevant because it's """"""""meta""""""""

and all the other hundreds of """""""meta"""""""" pages bullshitting about whale trivia are totally necessary too. if Melville was such a great author he could get that point across in a single chapter, but no it has to be """""meta""""" and """po-mo"""" to appeal to you hipster faggots.

Meaning? Melville was a sailor and he liked to leak about his experience and his knowledge. Also, those parts are informative, comfy, technical but at the same time written in a poetic fashion.

I loved them just as much I loved description of other trivial things like the detailed description of soup and the achab's monologues

I think reddit discussion threads should take place on reddit, from whence ye came

and all the better he didn't to filter out casual shitters like you who balk at the first sign of engagement when it's not reduced to mere consumption. are you lost? this is a literature board

the difference between "reading a book" and "reading a story."

>it's a difficulty filter designed to intimidate or bore the consumer
>this makes it good
go back to /v/eddit you fucking child.

If you read "abridged" moby dick or can't into cetology you need to get the fuck out, you seriously disgust me

You do understand that things are more deeply enjoyed if you have to work for them, right?

i don't think a demonstrable product of the ADD generation can be reasoned that there's more to literature and art and life than beginning -> plot -> end

not if they're inherently shit

if you think a translation is ok but an abridged work isn't, you're a hypocrite.

They're integral to Ishmael's characterization and the philosophical themes explored in the novel. They're also really well-written and sometimes interesting. Anyone who thinks they're irrelevant is a genuine brainlet.

We should create a contriarian abridge where everything EXCEPT the whaling parts are cut

Gold for you, kind sir!

>altering an authors work
>ever
Translation is the only acceptable form of alteration and at best its a necessary evil. If you skip chapters in a book, read a version with "analysis" included, or anything other than the original work you're a fucking faggot.

Classic Veeky Forums

I can't even imagine these people trying to read Chaucer.

What a joke.

>Call me ishmael. I went on an adventure with a native called queequeq and a captain called ahab. Ahab wanted to kill Moby dick the whale for eating his leg. He was an obsessed man. He killed the white whale and that's the end of the story.

How'd I do with the abridged version, Veeky Forums? I think I got all the main ideas down without losing too much. Mainly I just cut out all the boring parts (exposition, fancy dialog, that stupid shit about whales and boats and harpoons (LOL who has time for that it's 2017!!???)) Really, I think a lot of these "classics" should be pared down for the modern, savvy, on-the-go reader who doesn't have the attention span for all that fluff.

Are you literally retarded? Or just 13 years old?

>calling others plebs for calling out reddit

>He killed the white whale

spoiler this shit

It's alright, he didn't actually kill the whale. Moby Dick survived, Ahab and the whole crew of the Pequod were killed during the hunt with the exception of Ishmael, so you didn't get spoiled.

They are very technical so of course women and nu-males will complain but I never felt like I was reading an encyclopedia and they are some of the best chapters.