Should I read Hemingway?

Should I read Hemingway?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RTbIs7seBHY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Sure.

Thanks

Thanks

Read the Collected Stories. Probably his best work.

I saw a lot of posts saying he's shit tier here. Is he any good?

He's fantastic. Do a close read of A Clean, Well-Lighted Place and then ask yourself if he's shit-tier.

He's very good, especially in his best short stories.

Read a dozen stories and see what you think. They're not very long.

I want to but I just can't bring myself to read him. He seems like the staple author for crazy bitches and that turns me off. What's his best work?

His novels are arguable but his short stories are first rate, and they're what made his reputation.

Get "The Collected Stories." Remember that the stuff from "In Our Time" is meant to be read together.

I'm reading Crime and Punishment right now but Russian literature is just so long-winded.

>Russian literature is just so long-winded.

you probably mean "19th century literature" because there's nothing especially long-winded about the Russians over and above any other country

I think he is talking about Dostoyevsky's long paragraphs. Which is just a thing with Dostoyevsky.

Has anyone read Across the River and into the Trees?

If you're a newb yes

Yes, read almost all of Hemingway

He takes 4 pages to describe what can be said in one

Yes, you should. Read "the Killers", "A clean, well-lighted place", "the short life of Francis macomber." If you like those, read the sun also rises.

Ok, if that's your problem, you are just uncomfortable with 19th century lit.

I was talking about the massive walls of uninterrupted text that go on for upwards of six pages at times.

youtube.com/watch?v=RTbIs7seBHY

Yeah, it's not bad. But was it Calvin Trillin who ripped him a new one reviewing it, and Hem bore down and wrote The Old Man and the Sea next. (Interestingly, the plot of Old Man and the Sea is mentioned in passing in an article H wrote for Esquire in the 1930s; it's in the volume that collects his journalism - Byline: EH - which anybody who enjoys his fiction would enjoy.)

The End of Something - that's a nice depressing story.

Up in Michigan - nice rape story.

Big Two-Hearted River - nice ptsd story, before they invented the term ptsd.

It's the only Hemingway I've read, and honestly I thought it was the worst novel I've read in quite some time.

Is it just a bad spot in an otherwise amazing career or what?

>Is it just a bad spot in an otherwise amazing career or what?

That's the general consensus. Also that's the general critical attitude towards To Have and Have Not, which feels kind of thrown together.

The Old Man and the Sea was arguably his last hurrah. Although I do think A Moveable Feast (published posthumously) is excellent -- a return to form.

wasn't A Movable Feast based mostly on notes he had already written that he found locked up in a trunk or something

I'm not sure of the details offhand. My recollection was that the book had been written and edited and was nearly complete when he died. There's a famous story about Hemingway losing a bunch of completed stories that he left in a trunk in a train in Paris in the 1920s. They were never found. I don't recall a trunk being associated with A Moveable Feast.

Each of the subsequent books that were published after his death had been left in less and less a state of completion and required more substantial editorial work, eg, Islands in the Stream, Garden of Eden, etc.

I rarely meet women who enjoy Hemingway

>The Sun Also Rises
>A Farewell to Arms
>For Whom The Bell Tolls
>To Have and Have Not
>A Moveable Feast
>Death in the Afternoon
>Collected Short Stories

That should cover it I think.

I liked Islands in the Stream

I liked "Across the rivers and into the trees" I also liked "To have and have not". Strangely I disliked a moveable feast for some reason although it was fun reading about his past and everything. Some people love his work, some don't. he has a quite distinct style which some love. Try some other books, the short stories, and decide after reading those if you want to read more.

So did I.
But the scene were he tells about the death of their child seemed so emotioanlly distant.
Felt to surreal. Other than that. Great book.

Thanks.

>no The Old Man and the Sea

>Hem
>cock like a .22 shell
>thought a man had a limited number of orgasms in his life
>got the erectile dysfunction and shot himself in the head
Overcompensation Man.