Which translation of the Iliad do you prefer...

Which translation of the Iliad do you prefer? I'll be reading it for the first time and I'm unsure of which translation is the most enjoyable read. I would read Pope but I don't think I can get past the Roman names of the gods.

Chapman my man

I really do like the Pope version the best.

The latinized names of the gods is so inconsequential. However, there are two things that make it particularly difficult to read: the names and the hyperbaton. Why does Pope give every character five different names? Who is Atreus? Who is Atrides? Who is Argos? Jesus Christ, Pope, you're telling me all of these names are referring to Agamemnon?

It's worse than reading Biblical genealogy at times.

>don't think I can get past the Roman names of the gods.
What a stupid comment. What do you think is better for fluid ryhming poetry, Jove or fucking Zeus

>Atreus? Who is Atrides? Who is Argos
Brainlet
Atreus is the father of Agammenon and Menelaus who are called the Atridae and rule Argos and Sparta

t. never read Pope.

Fagles is literally the pleb version
Lattimore is more terse but supposed to be accurate
Fitzgerald is more poetic than Lattimore, I'd reccomend him for first time
Pope is the best but is more of an interpretation, I read it alongside Lattimore and it drops a lot of interesting details for the sake of poetics

Except I did so what are you on about, that's how I know that

The difficulty actually comes when he refers to gods only by a title or achievment inatead of name

I've only read Fagles' and Fitzgerald's versions and I enjoyed both immensely.

>The difficulty actually comes when he refers to gods only by a title or achievment inatead of name
Never read an english translation before, but. Shouldn't all translations do this? This is how Homer refered to the gods in some occasions as far as I remember and changing it seems completely retarded. Are anglos really this stupid?

No I agree, i wasn't the one bitching about names, I like that quality. Pope's is written in a couplet so he takes liberties for the sake of ryhme

Zeus on the loose

I'm planning on reading all of them eventually but I'm starting on fagles right now because I was able to find it really easily and it's babymode anyways. I think this guy has it about right based on other information I've heard.

Latin names are the objectively correct way

fpbp

The Zeus is loose aboot this hoose

It's all a meme now. Just sample read through them all and fuck off. They all have some level of credibility.

Lattimore

If you have to ask FAGles

Fagles

I liked Fagles a lot.

Hammond, anything attempting dactylic hexameter is a bad translation

Chapman is just a old meme

because oh so many words rhyme with minerva....

can someone tell me if the Stephen Mitchell translation is good? It's what I read back when I was a teenager but I want to read it again, wondering if I should go with another translation or just stick with this one (I own it).

don’t do it

Of the modern translations, all of the popular ones (Fagles, Fitzgerald, Lattimore) are good. Just sample them and find which one you prefer. The classic translations from Pope and Chapman are of course good, but they'll greatly increase the difficulty of comprehending the poem. If you're interested in either of those I'd recommend reading a modern translation first.