ITT - Books that changed your life

ITT - Books that changed your life

Before I read this, I was always stuck on there being an exact truth and not understanding why people would willing do anything "immoral". I still have a ways to go to get to where I need to go, but this book acted as a sort of "reset button" for my ways of thinking along with fostering an interest in philosophy for me.

I had that exact same revelation except with The Ego and His Own by Max Stirner. If you're into Nietzche and haven't read any Stirner yet I would highly reccomend it.

this

and this

There is an exact truth. It's just above and beyond anything that humans can bring into being

good one desu still think abt it regularly
thus spoke zarathustra and on the genealogy of morals are better

this was already dismissed in the 1800s, basically you're historically retarded
die
die
die

Wow user, thanks for your contribution to the thread.

>be in philosophy seminar today
>teacher asks us what constitutes a good life
>first student "Well it depends because everything is subjective"
>second student "Yeah, seems like Epictetus had a really one-sided view of life, like did he ever consider other people's opinions?"
>third student "The point of life is to be happy, which is why I'll be watching Netflix when I get home!"
>entire class laughs

Thanks Nietzsche

>die
>die
>die

>read neitzsche, think I get it, all the analysis by professionals is different
>read stirner, get confused
>try kierkegaard, cant keep up with complex religious allusions
>tfw too stupid for philosophy

Back to novels it is

>I was always stuck on there being an exact truth and not understanding why people would willing do anything "immoral"

Care to elaborate on this part?

No. Start with the greeks and advance gradually

he means he was a christfag

> he didn't start with the greeks
> he thought he could just dive in at Pinchy-Ninchy and understand the universe

lmaoing @ ur life, my dude

Does it feel lonely on that ivory tower? Tbh just be a normie

this also happened to me
> read Nietzche, understand his point of view
> read Descartes, and enjoy it thoroughly
> start reading Kant, everything is confusing can´t get past the 1st chapter

why are some philosophers always trying to flex their literary profeciency?
Wouldn´t you want the layman to be able to read through your texts and understand them?

christ

Pic related saved me from being an edgy fascist

quick rundown?
>no spoilers

>Wouldn´t you want the layman to be able to read through your texts and understand them?
why ought they?

this, but unironically

buttblasted babby gets mad that he can't understand a difficult work of philosophy that responds to other difficult works of philosophy without having read the prior works it builds upon and so blames the philosopher and not himself.

Take some responsibility for your shortcomings. If you don't enjoy reading then just say so.

Right wing critique of authoritarianism and scientism

Pic related made me love reading. It's so damn comfy

Atlas Shrugged meant nothing to me when I first read it at 14 but due to recent events after reading it then pic related at 26 (now 29) it shifted my entire worlview.
It just clicked. Atlas Shrugged is overrated compared to The Virtue of Selfishness.

Cringe

I came to that conclusion when I was fucking 12 did you think humans were perfect beings or something?

At what?

Liking rand

Anyone happen to know the best version of this? Definitely a book I'll re-read on a yearly basis.

Ok, why?

Because she's spooked as fuck and is just more collectivist shit with a different flavour

Also, objectivism is trash

>this was already dismissed in the 1800s, basically you're historically retarded
elaborate

We think that Paradise and Calvary,
Christ's cross, and Adam's tree, stood in one place;
Look, Lord, and find both Adams met in me;
As the first Adam's sweat surrounds my face,
May the last Adam's blood my soul embrace.

Became a member of the Navy SEALS. Never looked back

Because taxes are essential to government and because humans are irrational, fearful cheaters with morality bias toward in-groups

HAIL /pol/

Rand is UTTERLY Individualist. Stirner, dear spookfag, is not more individualist than Rand; his is merely a question of him being more anarchistic than Rand. Which is taken to incorrectly mean by Stirnerites that a higher degree of anarchism translates to a higher degree of individualism. It doesn't.
And Stirner's "spook" is similar to Rand's "anti-concept"; just less concrete.

Are *coercive* taxes? No. This is Rand's whole distinction.

I, too, enjoy chapters on dirt, and old men sucking young woman's tits

The first volume is a legitimately fascinating (and somewhat inspirational) story about a very lowly person achieving heights in political power.
Reading it helped me see through the national myth about WWII drummed into me since middle school.
Don't know if you're just funposting, but Hitler was an autistic faggot that destroyed Europe. He's the reason why national, identitarian, hierarchal views are seen as so taboo. Stop idolizing him, stormweenie.

Meaning Maps

How did it do that?
(no hate, i havent read)

hayes translation is very accessible

Taxes aren't coercive. If you don't want to pay them, just don't work or go somewhere else. :^)

Elaborate user, you have caught my attention.

couldnt narrow it down to one book
bourdieu - invitation to reflexive sociology
freud - psychopathology of everyday life
kafka in general
deleuze - what is philosophy

What is the big deal with this book? I read it hoping for an eye-opening experience and it did nothing for me

read this a bit after going from atheism to agnosticism. It made me question my beliefs (or lack of belief) and made me want to read more literature, philosophy and theology. first big classic I read.

It's like Plato. You hear the guy is realy good and then you read one of the dialogs, and it's meh. Also that book was written by Johannes de Silentio and not SAK. You should treat it as such.

Probably something by Stephen King because it came to my realization that I could probably write better than this guy and that I should probably get into writing.

made me realize that i am basically the protagonist of this book. when des Esseintes became a religious traditionalist it made me become one too (in a sense)

>he destroyed europe
1. tried to save europe from communism and jews = half of europe under communism
2. didnt try to do shit = probably whole world ends up communist = 1984

I respect him because he tried, if he didnt i probably would be dead by now because i wouldnt have anything to eat

Not really. It wouldn't be useful to you guys, it's based off a theory so I don't know if it is true and it's not being very kind to myself. I will say it doesn't involve religion.

Mein Kampf

is this a gay rape scene

I don't need to elaborate. If you can't understand why that meme book is trash, then you are too troglodytic to understand any elaboration anyway.

worst translation

>a member of the Navy SEALS
real seals would just say im a seal

>original translation omits a lot of shit and misleads
>the more accurate translation is the worst

is this the book that dorian grey was reading?you didnt mean exact truth as in an absolute knowable reality?

Reread this book again after 5 years and realized just how similar the themes I like writing about are to it. Fuck.

Before I started reading philosophy, that wouldn't have even been a concept to me.

I just getting into phil. Which greeks should i start with?

how

Mine is probably moby dick, ahabs quest ultimately killing him was a fucking...spiritual relief

In a lot of ways Hitler was like a modern day Caesar or Alexander. I also respect him in a lot of ways. But ultimately it doesn't matter that Britain also had a massive empire that they obtained by force. It doesn't matter that the US had racial laws and had japs in concentration camps. It doesn't matter that the allies committed their own brutal war crimes. It doesn't matter that Stalin killed more people than Hitler. History is written by the winners and Hitler lost because he made shitty decisions.
Even granting you that he might have been trying to save the world from the perceived threat of Jewish controlled International Bolshevism, the actual result of his actions was the destruction of his fascistic allies (except for Francoist Spain), the USSR being able to take half of Europe, and the popular vilification of any nationalistic ideology.

plotinus

HURRR

>2. didnt try to do shit = probably whole world ends up communist = 1984
lol

Jesse Katsopolis

*sheaths katana*
*tips fedora*
I said good day, sir.

idk, I haven't read picture of dorian grey

no you didn't

its alright

Fuck, man.

Stoner kind of haunted me ever since I randomly chose the book to do a presentation on it in 7th grade. I read it in full and while I understood the plot at the time, the mature nature of its material was naturally lost upon me. Every couple of years after that, I re-read it. Each time I read it again, it's like looking into a crystal ball and seeing my own future unfold.

I doubt in my life I will ever have the capacity to completely recognize the true humanity of this book. But I understand it completely. I don't know who I would be if it weren't for the perspective this book gave me.

I sound like a faggot but fuck you, it's a very personal matter for me.

Runner-up is Meditations simply because it's such no-bullshit and timeless guidance for living a productive, pleasurable, but non-hedonistic life. It's nowhere near as personal as Stoner but it's the only self-help book I've read that actually guides and helps you and doesn't just feed you positive new-age bullshit.

Dante here began my journey back towards God when I had been on the verge of atheism.

Rarely do we ask what is the end result we desire in knowing what is true. I think that our cultural nihilism, or existential consumerism, or at least my generation's version of larping the whole Lost Generation thing, has resulted in many people like myself trying to attain all in one, some higher knowledge in peak experiences and the sober, logical expressions that attempt to encapsulate those experiences into a personal being or overcoming - that individuating. Buying into this mode early enough to become discontented with you're ability to attain more and more peak experiences, and yet needing to still rebel against what remains of the struggle ahead of you, you ultimately need a framework for living, or larping as a Nihilist, or whatever. This one offered me tranquillity, non-judgement yet respect for customs, and an unparalleled method of inquiry into anything. It's the unification of all possible knowledge into a state of being. It's path is towards tranquillity - though obviously it is an aim, not a renouncing of life. It's not perfect, especially as it relates to political action. But there is room to move inside of it, too. I can't say I'm ardently following, but I'm also not aiming for much more than contentment - though what some are contented with is most likely incomprehensible to others.

>Runner-up is Meditations
I liked your post up to this points

por que?

Most memed philosopher behind Nietzsche, /pol/tards ruin both

i've never been to pol but thats the first i've ever heard of aurelius being a cornerstone of that board's philosophy. i figured they'd be for more gung-ho pessimistic bastards like stirner.

aurelius isn't a cornerstone of their philosophy, he's a cornerstone of their top ten first to be mentioned philosophers
probably 30% of all college educated males in north america with artistic or historical leanings have read the meditations
>stirner pessimistic
don't sling loaded terms so easily senpai, Stirner has nothing to do with pessimism

>dude neet-cha

This was the first book I read that made me feel like I was really thinking about what was happening in a philisophical sense. It made me want to go back over everything I had ever seen, and look for that "one central purpose" in everything.
I don't exactly agree with all of Rand's ideals, but for several reasons this book was a great reading experience for me.
Skimming this thread makes me think I should look more into philosophy, it seems like there might be something in Stirner or something like that that really clicks with me.

I can't believe no one posted this!

A-are you Classicsfag?
I had to read this at 2nd year for my BA Classics

why did you post in this thread twice?

Unlikely as it seems, I promise im not the other guy. I haven't read anything else by Rand except Atlas Shrugged, which I dropped a little after halfway through because I was perturbed by how quickly Dagny forgot what's his name and started drooling over John Galt. Obviously he was supposed to be Uber badass but it was ridiculous and the whole book was already beginning to drive me nuts before that anyways.
Tl;dr- not everyone who says things you dont like are the same person. Not usually, anyways.

There are lot of randposters around recently, initially I thought they just wanted (you)s but it seems that they're genuine. I wonder where they came from.

You don't have a turtle with diamonds, stop lying