How to Read 100 Books a Year?

Choose one hundred very short books

only answer needed

Read a book every 3.65 days

This. Read short story collections and treat each short story as an individual book. You'll read thousands every year.

that's not a good goal user

By taking the time you need to read 100 books.

I actually read a book in < 3 days, never went over 92 in my life.

Not paying any attention to what you're reading

/thread

get fired, i' doing great.

How many books do people usually read in a year? I've read 15 so far this year and I'm not sure if that's a lot or if it's average.

Reading more than 50 books a year is being a fucking degenrate who treats books as consumer goods.

I can read 50 books a year casually reading in the bath every couple days and a chapter before bed at night, along with binging on vacations. If I wanted to read 100 I just wouldnt watch 2-3hrs of tv with my girl, I would watch 1-2.

t. brainlet, I had to read more than that 3 of 4 years at university, not including what I read for pleasure.

Being able to read more than a book a week means that either you're not diving deep enough in what you're reading or you're reading shit that has no depth.

Maybe for you. Unless you are reading stuff like Church Fathers, or tracts from philosophes that require 1:1 response line to line you are wasting your time. You can easily read works of Romantic, Georgian, or post-war (WW1) literature as a conversational clip, and even well written stuff like Gibbon flows. And this says nothing of works after the 1950s that are meant to be conveyed as a narrative. Storytelling is the purpose of literary fiction, and if you are picking it apart line by line to the point where you cant read a book in a week you are either mentally incapable, taught wrong, or ruining the work by not consuming it as the author meant it in its entirety.

Approaching all literature as a question on an AP Lit test is a good way to walk away from literature.

deconstructing literature for academic purposes =/= consuming literature for pleasure or personal edification.

Imagine being this retarded lol

I read instead of watching tv, I read while commuting and I read every night in bed. I visit my local library several times a week and grab whatever I feel like reading in that moment, so I'll always have something interesting at hand. 100 books is not that much, just take the time you'd use doing useless shit and use that time for reading instead.

There's no need to be mad. Get off Veeky Forums and go read a book.

If you have a local coffee shop, hang out there and read. You might also pick up some like minded pussy.

be addled with health problems that preclude you from working or going to school

t. sick guy who has read almost exactly 100 books this year including many doorstoppers. in fact im going out of my way to read long books because i have nothing else to do

feel better

Sebastian?

>Storytelling is the purpose of literary fiction
This place really is r/books2.0

the story, and what the story does to the reader is the purpose of the novel. Much of what Veeky Forums assigns to literary fiction would be better off in the realm of philosophy or exegesis.

That is part of it, but there are levels of reading beyond the elementary. Someone who reads for story and nothing else is effectively watching Netflix in written form.

My parents had an account with the largest bookstore in Beirut and I would pick up books in what seemed to me unlimited quantities. There was such a difference between the shelves of the library and the narrow school material; so I realized that school was a plot designed to deprive people of erudition by squeezing their knowledge into a narrow set of authors. I started, around the age of thirteen, to keep a log of my reading hours, shooting for between thirty and sixty a week, a practice I’ve kept up for a long time. I read the likes of Dostoyevsky, Turgenev, Chekhov, Bishop Bossuet, Stendhal, Dante, Proust, Borges, Calvino, Céline, Schultz, Zweig (didn’t like), Henry Miller, Max Brod, Kafka, Ionesco, the surrealists, Faulkner, Malraux (along with other wild adventurers such as Conrad and Melville; the first book I read in English was Moby-Dick) and similar authors in literature, many of them obscure, and Hegel, Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, Marx, Jaspers, Husserl, Lévi-Strauss, Levinas, Scholem, Benjamin, and similar ones in philosophy because they had the golden status of not being on the school program, and I managed to read nothing that was prescribed by school so to this day I haven’t read Racine, Corneille, and other bores. One summer I decided to read the twenty novels by Émile Zola in twenty days, one a day, and managed to do so at great expense.

Of course there are, but I do not believe reading and analysis are one and the same. If you read something like Jude the Obscure or Zweig for the narrative experience it is like a truck slamming into you.

If you read it using deconstruction, you are sacrificing the emotional experience of the narrative on the altar of a nearly mechanical task, which is necessary for academia, but not for the consumption of literature.

Of course you could just read it twice, but who has the time.

>twenty novels by Émile Zola in twenty days
A good example of a work that deconstructing only hurts. Germinal or la Debacle suffer under scrutiny.

do rereads count? i usually read a book twice, going slower and writing notes the second time.

>Sebastian?

HI

>being a fucking degenrate who treats books as consumer goods.

are books anything else than consumer goods when you buy and read them?

madman

Start loading up on audiobooks during commutes/.workouts/etc. Easily adds 10-20 a year.

>no TV
>no internet
>no video games
>no smartphone

Very very easy. You'd be amazed at how much time those things take away from you.

I know, who would have thought its possible to read Ulysses nine hundred times in one year

and forget everything you listened to

no thanks user

why does this read like ready player one

Start