What do lit graduates do for a living? That seems to be neglected here

What do lit graduates do for a living? That seems to be neglected here.

Other urls found in this thread:

i.4cdn.org/gif/1507418824939.webm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

they post threads like this on Veeky Forums

they reply to threads like this on Veeky Forums

WHY?! WHY MUST YOU TORMENT ME SO WITH THESE JEZEBELS? All I want to do is come here for an asexual experience that will exercise my brain but I am constantly titillated by these vixens with their prodigious hips and provocative figures. Can I never satiate this thirst, will I ever know the touch of a woman and enter between her loins? Will my seed ever drip from her moistened hole?

Life is a constant hell. No wonder I resent women too.

me, a graduate? hahaha

Forage garbage cans for left overs, shitpost on public library computers. Murmur to themselves

Be unemployed

Mechanical Engineer.

I graduated with a first class History degree from a Russell Group university this summer. I am currently volunteering on small farmsteads across Italy through the volunteer network called Workaway.

>work four/five hours a day outdoors in 20-25 degree sunny weather, with jobs ranging from simple construction projects to gardening, animal care and shepherding.
>spend time at work either talking with hosts, observing nature or listening to podcasts.
>be provided all food and accommodation in exchange for 25 hours work a week with weekends off.

It's an almost money-free lifestyle. I still have to pay for transport across Italy to arrive at placements but hosts typically provide wholesome family meals three times a day, sweets/alcohol and, perhaps most importantly of all, access to otherwise impenetrable foreign communities, think small Tuscan village with 150 inhabitants that hosts village festivals where THE ENTIRE VILLAGE turns out! Five weeks living in Tuscan villas, with weekend trips and a few meals out, has cost around €250 (including €130 return flights to London from Pisa).

I've carved out the next three years to experiment with this lifestyle before reconsidering a postgraduate career in teaching. Essentially, it's a more sustainable, Veeky Forums friendly gap-year. You could spend 8 hours a day reading/writing while being forced to get fresh air and observe new and novel situations in exchange for a really high quality life. The major downside is the lack of personal freedom in regard to working hours/meal times but that doesn't bother me too much when I am free from 13:00-23:00 on weekdays.

It's not a career but backpacking with books is a hell of a lot comfier than wageslaving to pay rent in familiar circumstances.

>>work four/five hours a day outdoors in 20-25 degree sunny weather,
>literally below freezing weather
>sunny
The power of a humanities education, lads.

I teach middle school history in rural Illinois.

It's pretty comfy and better than my last job in a middle school in Southern California.

He is talking about Celsius. He is working in 70-80 degrees Fahrenheit.

Also you're probably just baiting.

Centigrade, you burger

>Americans
Ignoring your blatant mistake, just because it's cold doesn't mean it can't be sunny

>rural Illinois
>being anywhere in Illinois outside Chicagoland
I'm sorry user

phil graduate here

i'm actually being a graduate and working on my doctorate, which pays me a salary

>using farenheit
Sure hope you're a business major

Fahrenheit faggot.

I'm a lit dropout.

I collect welfare and live the sagely life.

Why do Europeans take the fucking bait every single fucking time? They simply cannot resist that repulsive euro urge to pull up their tidy-whities and say, "Ackshully..."

That's the most beautiful girl I've ever seen

get a degree that actually helps when applying for jobs instead of English

what a babe

This

Should I apply to work at a library? I used to work at my university library during undergrad, but I feel like any public library is more of a homeless daycare than an actual library.

Do you have a degree in Library Science?

No. If I did I probably wouldn't be asking if I should apply to work at a library.

Who /EternalUni/ here?

:(

Starbucks. They make bad coffee at Starbucks.

I would love to watch this girl get blacked

For me I want to see her getting GOOKED.

>american education

>european
You mean every single human being alive that doesn't fall within the 60-70% of United States of America citizens (the other 30-40% being native or adoptive users of C) that use a different temperature scale. I am not European and whilst you can claim that it's all just bait, all for the (you)s amirite, the world knows the truth. Most posts like that one you are replying to are entirely genuine.

Go for Philosophy then law if you want to read lit while getting a good job.

how did you get into this?

kek, losers

not with a prose style that shitty, you won't

so beautiful without trying, wow

>What do lit graduates do for a living?
masturbate to your OP pic

>without trying
her hair is bleached and coiffed and pinned back with devices in a conscious affectation of marilyn monroe
She's wearing lipstick and mascara, has plucked and sculpted and painted her eyebrows and has pierced her face in no less than four places.

she looks good but she's definitely trying

Why do they like red, blue, and green dots so much?

What skills do lit grads have, besides the obvious reading and writing skills?

I'm genuinely interested.

> No.

The field is extremely competitive. Without a Master's in Library Science it will be nigh impossible to find a public library job; it is required for even an interview.

The ability to explain and persuade. That's very important for a large variety of professions and life in general. If you check out the course list descriptions at any university you'll understand what they learn. Not the degree description, but the individual courses offered for said degree.

Why do so many men have make-up blindness?

>Such a natural beauty!

Peoples eyes don't naturally have black line around them doofus, their hair is near that colour, and nobody's eyebrows are naturally that shape. Also her teeth have been bleached.

Not him but google workaway, anybody can do it, I travelled for about 3 years after uni when I realised the jobs I could get were actually shit and boring as hell. Rather be poor and live the life of a vagabond.

I work in a factory as a welder.

I work as a junior editor at a shitty local newspaper. Pretty much a 9-5 gig. My co-workers are fine but I wouldn't call many of them friends. The only thing I really enjoy looking over is the short story submissions we get for the arts page. Most of it is comically bad but some of it is surprisingly good.

sounds comfy, please post stories and some of the short story submissions
asking for a friend who chickened out of a lit course for a shitty business degree

>Get a lit degree
>Become a teacher
>Get new students to pursue lit

My interest in long-term volunteering (until 2020 at a minimum) was the natural extension of my general shift towards minimalism at the end of my second year of uni (summer 2016) coupled with a deep dissatisfaction with a series of superficial 'successes' from ages 16-21.

In August 2016, I secured one of ten eight week-long research scholarships that paid close to £2000 for a total of 60 hours of 'groundbreaking research' for a niche historical topic that resulted in publishing offers for contributions to articles/books and a 30 minute lecture to a paying audience of 120 people. At the same time as the scholarship, I was employed by the University's accommodation and cleaning services, rapidly advancing up the corporate ladder by moving from basic toilet cleaner to manager of 88 members of staff in under two months - ended up having control of £5500 worth of labour power a day and responsibility for a £4,250,000 accommodation contract. I was also very active in the gym and in the best shape of my life after five years of training. I could, for example, do 24 strict overhand pull-ups, 95% body weight OHP and a variety of cool looking gymnastic movements.

Barely twenty-years old and it felt like I had stumbled into the dream lifestyle: an academically-fulfilling, career-orientated, physically healthy, socially abundant, financially-secure dreamland. Yet despite everything that I had worked towards over the course of five years, including three genuinely wonderful lifelong friends and several long term girlfriends, I still felt desperately uncomfortable and lonely. My unease grew steadily through my final year of study where I spent an average of ten hours a day, six days a week, in the library for about five months. Finally, despite graduating with the highest overall degree classification (80%) from a humanities faculty of 250 final year students, with a 90 on my dissertation that was awarded various prizes and accolades, it still felt hollow. Upon reflection, its scary to realise how much of my time I spent running the rat race to its bitter end without much fulfilment - all the while anticipating the day when I would finally 'get there'. So I begun to research alternative graduate-opportunities (Workaway/WOOFING/HelpX) while slowly reducing my possessions to now live out of a 45-litre backpack.

I know this all sounds like a bullshit introduction to a turnaround 'just find your happiness' self-help book or perhaps ego inflation on the internet but it's genuinely how my life has panned out. After living my whole life to be 'better' than those around me, I've finally realised that the best decision is to abandon the fastest ship in the race and ignore (or perhaps just postpone) my tutors invitation to become 'the world expert' in a niche aspect of local history because my previous experiences tell me that my brain will always shift the end-point. It will never be enough. I've always struggled with contentment, and I refuse to continue to live in that toxic stress cycle if an alternative is available.

I've honestly never been consistently happier in my life than the past few months of volunteering. I still get occasional bouts of cyclical depression but hey ho! There is little or no pressure and no real goals. No manic obsession to 'achieve' or prove myself to the world. Just living simply and anonymously. Reading for fun. Writing for fun. Just slowing the fuck down. 10/10, would recommend lifestyle for the manic depressive perfectionists amongst us.

is this the same chick with that blowjob video by the ocean?

link?

It wont let me post it directly because it's bigger than 3mb but here's a link from /gif/

i.4cdn.org/gif/1507418824939.webm

>That seems to be neglected here.

That's because actually graduating is reddit as fuck.
Veeky Forums is waltzing through college and then abruptly dropping out in your final semester for no discernible reason.

>Veeky Forums is waltzing through college and then abruptly dropping out in your final semester for no discernible reason.
iktf

*pulls up tidy-whities*

>When you no fap for too long.

damn, you are me but several years younger.

albeit i've left that life behind now.

>lit/ is waltzing through college and then abruptly dropping out in your final semester for no discernible reason

>nose ring
fap ruined

What that's the only acceptable facial piercing

There is no such thing as an acceptable facial piercing. Next you'll be telling me only ankle tattoos are acceptable

kek they are

What are you trying to say please tell me

>nose ring is acceptable

if you're a fucking normie maybe
what's so acceptable about having a permanent shiny pimple on your nose.
looks fucking retarded.
the TRUE robot piercing is eyebrow

I'm actually a rare book dealer.

get a load of captain funtimes over here.

how did you get this job, sounds ace.

That iktf

Isn't permanent

You can't do that, you idiot.

I've seen multiple job postings for public libraries that say nothing about a MLS. I also know someone who works at a library in NYC without an MLS. I'm sure having an MLS is really really helpful, but I'm not about to go into a bunch of debt for a library degree of all things.

I worked at a shitty local newspaper. It was awful. Even worse than working at a shitty local TV station.

I graduated but I still feel like I dropped out. Nothing good has happened to me since finishing my degree.

Same. Its been four years of nothing.

m-majors???

English Lit graduate here, class of 2017 so only just entered the shitty world of real "adulthood". Right now I'm juggling between working nights at a live music bar, working as a learning support assistant with special needs children at a local school, and doing the odd couple hours of tutoring here and there. With all that I make pretty decent money. Don't have a lot of free time but I'm not too bothered because I'm in a long-distance relationship and it's fairly easy to get time booked off to see her. That said, the tutoring job is unsatisfying because its literally just rich cunts who want to pay so their little darling "oscar" can get top grades (even though I'm essentially spoonfeeding him the answers on a silver platter). Hoping to get into teaching once I've saved up and can afford to do my masters without having to work through it.

Don't let all the misinformation and "starbucks" jokes on this board get you down about your degree– the future is only as bleak as you make it. Most occupations just ask for some kind of degree, its less of a demonstration of your abilities than a mark of your personal achievement and intelligence.

This has to be bait.

Are you willing to share a glimpse into my possible future after years of volunteering? I'm very interested in how your experiences led you to where you are and what you are doing now!

well i've been all over the world at this point, but travelling from place to place sparked a new passion in me for historical architecture, so i came back to study repair and conservation of ancient buildings. i will head off travelling again once i'm fully qualified, fixing european cathedrals and so on.

drifting around the world is great but for me, a greater sense of purpose overtook it, i had so much freedom it allowed me to discover new values in time. adventure for adventure's sake is great too though.

>spend 6 months applying to every archive, museum, and rare book store in state
>apply to every govt office
>give up, drive old people around for 8 months
>move to nyc, work as admin for vanity publisher
>get into spam emails
>become spammer for 4 years
>google crushes spam, start buying and configuring servers for CPC fraud schemes
>continue to work at vanity publisher building "books" with a team of bangladeshi and chinese warehouse workers to sell to egotistical executives
>7 years later
>have baby
>become stay at home dad
>start buying condos for passive income

I wish I had never gone to college

NEET since 2012 here.

I like it.

browse Veeky Forums all day and write condescending posts about people who aren't lit grad students which are thinly veiled bitter remarks about how superior they are

I took a train West, joined the Reserves, and got a job on a ranch. The pay from both combined plus the provided housing leaves me with a lot to put away and I work on my writing or hike every free moment I get.

Reddit mod

I graduated with a first class English degree from a Russell Group university this summer. I am currently working in McDonald's.

I wish I were joking.

what uni did you go to? what topic was your dissertation on?

I graduated in medicine 6 years ago, did a PhD and a postdoc and am now in year 3 of my residency.

I can only tell you that it's frustrating for us successful people that have useful degree too.

this is my dreamjob. Except I'd like to teach high school history. Same location too. Born and raised in Princeton, IL and I want to go back home the moment I'm done with this shithole uni

For the love of God just quit. Don't let the world drain your creativity and thirst for education and new experiences, especially not for bare subsistence living in stressful and unsatisfactory circumstances. It's 100% possible to quit and relocate to somewhere you've always wanted to explore in your early twenties (if you haven't got kids/family responsibilities), to observe a culture you're interested in or just full-blown integrate into. I know I can only speak from my own experiences because this lifestyle is ridiculously minimalist and transitory so it really won't work for everyone, but the main benefit of volunteering, as far as I can judge it, is the sheer abundance of TIME afforded to volunteers. It's unbelievably relieving and rewarding to channel my debt-ridden education beyond a university syllabus and having enough free time to discover the lifestyle I want to push towards - this isn't something grand; I'm currently focused on learning more about my own fucked up brain chemistry and moral system through reading histories, biographies, philosophy etc. The volunteer lifestyle allows more time to explore these important questions without the requirement to sap our energy, and enthusiasm, for a place to sleep/food to eat.

I went to an English Russell Group outside of London and explored the extent to which a five local industrial trades bolstered the British slave trade, particularly the development of Bristol/Liverpool and the British West Indies. I scored well because I uncovered archival research that made considerable expansions to the scarce amount of existing scholarship and, in my tutors words, have become 'the definitive expert in local industrial links to slavery.' Problem is, nobody gives a shit about expanding the scholarship and neither do I, especially after spending hundreds of hours doing dense economic history alone in a dimly lit computer cluster. I'm alright with that, I'm just not going to spend hundreds more hours flogging a dead horse.

>wanting to return to the Midwest
Indianafag here. What is wrong with you?

I fucking hate the east coast so much. The midwest is literally a different (superior) country to this shithole. I miss my home

cityfag who has never done anything manual in my life before. Will they still take me? I'd love to go to a farm or something but I can't even tell plants apart from weeds and shit. How do I learn this?

I was the same my friend! Zero practical skills. I've lived my whole life in towns, and the only thing I had going for me was strength from lifting for five years. In truth, the Workaway volunteer exchange network seems to demands enthusiasm above all else. You make a profile online, an introduction to who you are, and say what kind of skills you are interested in learning. You then write individual cover letters to hosts after viewing their availability on their pages. I didn't know how to approach my lack of skills to begin with so I was completely upfront.

>'Like so many other young men in my position, I do not have a worldly collection of practical experiences (yet)!'

If these hosts wanted genuinely skilled people to do their work they would hire a professional. Given that these type of programmes are getting more popular, there are going to be a higher number of applicants who have zero work ethic and just want a free holiday in France or wherever. I secured three placements by applying for eleven places over the course of a week with zero practical skills, its all about marketing yourself as a friendly and non-psychopathic guy.

I see, thank you. I am in a somewhat similar position (even same major), but I just feel incredibly unfulfilled in life and am terrified of ending up in grad school and finding it a mistake. Maybe when I graduate I will try this.