Should I read Paradise Lost before reading Moby Dick...

Should I read Paradise Lost before reading Moby Dick? Would it clairify or enhance the text to enough of a degree to justify putting Moby Dick on the shelf or should I just start squeezing the sperm as soon as possible?
I have the Norton Critical edition of both.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=q4zrnE4WVq0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What, they're hardly related, Paradise Lost is something to study as well

If you have the critical edition of Moby Dick, it will point out all the literary references anyway, not that they're crucial to understanding or enjoying the book. Whichever one you read first, they are both absolutely 10/10 godtier masterpieces so you can't go wrong.

>asking anonymous users on a japanese image board whether to read the works of a blind and mad puritan attempting to justify the ways of god to men, or the greatest and most serious novel ever written in the latest hundred and fifty years on the american continent
kill yourself and approach these authors with more of the respect they deserve in your next life
jesus fucking christ gaddis was right about everything
"should I buy download this bach or mozart collection for my iPod on the way to school?"
mentally ill painters flinging shit at canvases didn't destroy art, you did

Autism.

Thank you, I figured so (especially considering the dozens of works he lifted from, why just the one), but wanted to get some different opinions before I jumped in.

a sane post on Veeky Forums, I can't almost believe my eyes
Just read the damn book nigger

You had a point up until Bach vs Mozart, because Bach is a completely skippable composer.
Mozart is the objectively correct choice in that case.

t. mathlet

>gaddis was right about everything
What are you referring to?

youtube.com/watch?v=q4zrnE4WVq0

watch this, you'll get all the references you need

no u

t. brainlet

You should read pl before md because it is the superior work, and the one to which almost all English lit is indebted, Melville being just one, and by no means the most important, of a long list.

The first 3-4 books are some of the best things written in English, really dark and terrifying and beautiful. You'll end up falling in gay love with Satan, and that's a hard thing for any writer to do.

You can read Melville later; Ahab is a thin watery shadow of Milton's Satan.

>>blind and mad puritan
why are you even on this board? you obviously can't fucking read you spasticated american dog

Should I read the Bible before Paradise Lost?

Should I read the Epic of Gilgamesh before the Bible?

Fucking no

Yes
No

Yes.

wrong

>Bach vs Mozart

They are both entry level composers.

this but literally unironically

Should I read summerian tablets before Epic of Gilgamesh?