How many languages do you know?

How many languages do you know?

Four if you count Latin

English.

Two.

How'd you learn them?

First- English
Second- Portuguese

I spoke pretty good French before I learned Portuguese, but now when I try to speak French, Portuguese comes out.

I'm an American living in Brazil

I know it wasn't me you were asking, but I learned Portuguese by first learning the basics on duolingo, then taking intensive classes, and then by immersion.

I also took one semester of Latin my freshman year of college, which helped me a little. The basic structure of Latin, French, Spanish, Portuguese and Italian is basically the same.

How do I learn to read two books at once like this

He's reading one which refers heavily to the other, so looking up the references as they occur. He's not going Buschemi.

Circassian (family)
Hebrew (school and work)
English (international language)
Arabic (religion)

Every single child in my town can casually communicate in at least 3 of these languages at the age of 12. Very few are also fluent in either Turkish or Russian.

damn where do you live?

English, French and Russian, though I have a hard time speaking French. My active vocabulary has atrophied over the years despite my reading, so I am always at a loss for words.

>Miller translation of Hegel
>Russel's History
>Heavily referring

It's like he wants to walk away with the worst understanding of Hegel possible. He should be reading Harris or Kalkavage if it's his first time through

He's reading a Christian self help book or something like that and the bible.

here it is

Causcaus muslim living in Israel?

English and some Spanish, though my Spanish has atrophied to the point of uselessness by now

4, learning my 5th ATM.

goal is 5

all of them, they are integrated in my consciousness

I'm a native English speaker and been trying to learn German on and off for 10 years.
I can read 60% of the average German wikipedia article very tediously with the help of a dictionary.
Faust? Forget about it. Can't understand a fucking word.

Just English. I spoke Spanish as a child but I haven't really used it in over 20 years despite living in an area with a lot of Hispanics. I can still understand it, though. Well, most of the time.

>10188488
*unconsciousness

audit courses at your local uni. you dont need to be enrolled, just show up and if anyone asks youre a grad student who is already at the credit cap for the semester

Portuguese and English. I tried learning German but gave up.

Digits don't lie

The guy pulls off the hat without looking cringe, that's awesome.

What's the book he has in his left hand?

I already did that.
I'm light years ahead of the typical undergraduate student. I don't need someone giving me busy work about memorizing case endings.
However my goal was to read in German for pleasure. That's been the hard part to attain.

Thai & English

English, portuguese, spanish, french and the basics of russian (I'm still learning, quite hard)

Você tem que voltar, gringo.

German (native)
French ( 5 years in school)
Latin (3 Years in school)
English (native speaker level obv)

can i speak french or latin fluently? No
Can I understand it when it's spoken/written? Partially

das Fühl kenne ich leider nich, jedenfalls nich mit deutsch ihr fagotte

it's nicht you dumb faggot

Five years of french and you're still not fluent? I'm two months in and I can already read children's literature. You've been studying it wrong, mate.

he can't even master his native language he speaks scheissdeutsch lol
probably a fucking turk

French - native
English - fluent
Japanese - JLPT4
German - know like 300 worter

English, Russian, German on native level. French about B2.

How's latin similar to those? They're derivatives, ok, but the grammar is pretty different

>can read 60% of the average German wikipedia article very tediously with the help of a dictionary
>light years ahead of the typical undergraduate studen
He said university, not community college.
>I don't need someone giving me busy work about memorizing case endings.
Obviously you do.

English, French

Spanish has dramatically atrophied since I stop practicing it in 2012.

Currently learning German.

I'm fluent in English, can get along well enough and can read slowly in German, and know a little Spanish, but not much.

Polish - native
English - fluent
German - basics

Portuguese (native tongue), English, Spanish, French, German.

Born in Portugal, learned English by watching cartoons as a kid and through school, learned Spanish the same way, French in school, German at uni. I know a fair bit of Japanese as well but I wouldn't call myself fluent.

>autism

>I've been learning this for 10 years and I'm still shit at it
>hurr plebs I'm so advanced I don't need any training anymore
Okay, snowflake.

portuguese natively, english, pretty much fluent in italian, learning german and latin, but learning pretty slowly, taking my time.

idk man, not him but knowing portuguese and italian, I just looked up a random latin text (pic related) and those are to words I already know without any background. some I know the exact meaning in latin, some I kind of know, but no quite exactly.

Four.
Native in Spanish and Catalan
English at C2 level
German at B1-B2
I dabble a bit in Italian and I want to pick it up once my German is good enough, but I think I still have a couple of years to go to achieve fluency

Zero

Have you guys declared independence yet or not? Haven't been following for a while.

Look lady, all I know is English and bad English

MULTIPASS

Polish, Lithuanian, Russian, English

t. Eastern Europe

Native in Kurdish, Turkish and German.
Very fluent in English
Fluent in French
School level Latin

>doesn't know the difference between grammar and vocabulary
>doesn't realize you don't learn fucking vocabulary in a university classroom
>thinks undergraduate language courses are somehow different at uni
>thinks magical knoweldge work takes place at uni
>doesn't understand plateaus
>thinks case endings will teach you a language

what other deductions will your autistic logic chopping bestow on us

let me guess you just started learning last year and are still posting on /r/languagelearning about neat tricks to help you memorize those whacky rules that have exceptions!!!
let me know when you start to understand the spirit of a language and only approach it from an aesthetic perspective

I'm 20% fluent in French according to Duolingo

>Spend 5 minutes doing basic phrases
>Increases by 1%

I must be a genius or something.

English because Americunt, Arabic because Islamom, Russian and Ukrainian because Half-Slav, and some Spanish because Americunt again.

kys

>failed to learn a single foreign language in 10 years
>thinks anything he says on the topic of learning languages matters in the slightest
Easy on the delusion, bugs.
>understand the spirit of a language
>approach it from an aesthetic perspective
Holy kek. Comedy gold.

I know fucking dozens, mate. There's German, Spanish, Italian, that ching chong one the chinese speak, French, those old ones that only posh kids speak - Latin and Greek. That bindi language the Indians and Pakis speak. There's Polish, Turkish and Czech. I know loads more, but I'll give it a rest for now

depends on what you mean by "know". I consider myself fluent in all the scandianvian languages, german, english and dutch. Then i have studied most of the romance languages and could probably hold a conversation in them (mabye not latin, but i can read latin). Then i've also studied most other Indo-european languages. I could probably read every single indo european language there is without much problems. The goal isnt fluency if you stufy a language academically.

Hellenic
Polish
English

Yup

Two, English and Japanese. can't believe I wasted 6 years on this monkey language, it's essentially useless

Turkish (Native)
English (Native level)
Japanese N4.

Yeah, I feel you.

Five
Mother tongue is Russian
Lived in Israel so speak Hebrew
Fluent in English
Lived in France so speak French
Moved to Germany so speak German
I don't really enjoy reading though.

But the endings would kill you. There are different versions of extremo and anno and you need to know grammatically what they mean. Also: please tell me what you think interesse means.

German (some PA dutch as well)
Basic Jap and Norwegian of which I'm both still learning

Do you know what site you're on? Why are you even here?

I'm from another Catalan-speaking region. I am sympathetic to their independence movement, but I am living abroad so I know probably around the same as you all.

You could at least hide being this new, reddit.

It's cuz he's black

How many if I count God?

Fine vintage meme.

What did he mean by this

English, French, Portuguese> Native or Bilingual Italian> fluent
Notions of Japanese and Mandarin

Like 10? English, C, Haskell, Python, Java, Lisp, Rust, bash, html and js

Two. English and French

>>>/reddit/
And don't come back

English, Portuguese through my dad, and conversational spanish. i speak portuguese with a country bumpkin accent though (grandma is from the interior). few things are as enjoyable as pessoa in og form

oi meu caro

English & Arabic.

It's a shame there isn't any ground-breaking literature in Arabic though.

Over six million.

seems like most of those languages wont help you on anything.
or maybe just to beg for your life to some local terrorist

also i speak spanish and english

English
Spanish
Italian
French

I can understand some Portuguese, but read it much better. English, Spanish, and Italian are native languages, and I learned French in HS.

Once you learn three romance languages, you basically know them all. You see patterns in grammar more easily. You definitely understand them spoken, but have near perfect reading comprehension in almost all romance languages after three--save for some strange vocab.

I'd like to learn a new language one day, and I am in between Mandarin, Arabic, and Hindi. Thoughts on difficulties?

Lol'd

17 at 38

Portuguese and english.

Spanish and Greek as native languages
English fluently
French and italian
Some polish because I lived there a while

kys mudslime

English
Koine Greek
Japanese

English and German. Want to learn French next.

obviously I can't help but think it means 'to have interest in something' (ter interesse') since Interesse is used in portuguese with that exact same syntax. Is it correct? probably not, but nonetheless it will make life MUCH easier learning a languae with similar words, even if the meaning is a bit different. Unlike german, which the words are completely new for me (aside from the similarities with english), which force me to mechanically translate words instead of seeing the meaning in them.

Albanian French Hmong Laotian Portuguese Tagalog
Arabic German Italian Lithuanian Punjabi Thai
Armenian Greek Japanese Malay Romanian Turkish
Bengali Haitian Creole Karen Mandarin Russian Vietnamese
Burmese Hebrew Khmer Nepali Somali
Cantonese Hindi Korean Polish Spanish

German, English, some Italian and Spanish (can read, but barely speak), very little french

The pronouns, prepositions and conjunctions are also pretty similar. I don't know, it helped me.

I would say go for mandarin, unless you're muslim for which i would say learn arabic.
Pros of mandarin:
No conjugation, genders
Simple but somewhat rigid grammar
Analytic language, similar to english

Negs:
Tones
lots of homonyms
Writing system takes a long time to learn
Vocab is tough to improve without reading.

Got any tips for learning french?